The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do You Wear Helmets While Riding?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

390 91.12%
  • No, never.

18 4.21%
  • Sometimes.

20 4.67%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I've come off enough times in interesting ways to know I should probably wear a helmet. (And I like my Troxel Sierra. It's brown and pink.)

I wear a helmet on my younger gelding, except this summer while we were showing (I wore a hat, although at one show, I had a funny feeling, he was being fresh, and I wore a helmet - he didn't pull any funny business but I thought "better safe than sorry")

I never wear one on my mare, although my adult conscience KNOWS that anything could happen, including an accident that isn't the horse's fault (horse slips, falls, I hit a tree with my head...etc).

Every time I get on her, I think of the quote above (People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right...) I am making a promise to myself that this year, I will wear a helmet EVERY time, EVERY horse. I know my brain is worth protecting and it's about time I start doing it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalTRider View Post
    Is there a link to this? The only blog I could find doesn't begin until 2011, and I would love to read the updates from immediately after her accident.
    Sorry, it looks like her professional website has changed from courtneykingdressage.com to ckddressage.com, and I could not find the earlier one (maybe a more computer savvy person could find a cached version). The first updates after the accident were from her husband, and then from her husband sharing her thoughts, and finally she composed the entries herself. At that time, she had I believe a Lusitano or Andalusion and she talked about hopefully being back on him before a major competition months away . . . and as time passed you could see it becoming clear to her, for all the progress she continues to make, that that goal would not be reached. The pathos of an individual who probably has rarely, rarely NOT achieved a set goal was heartrending, and she later described tearfully seeing the horse off as she and the owners agreed, it was in his best training interests to go back to Europe for another rider.

I don't mean to sound pitying, she's trying to make another Olympic team as a para-athlete, writing, teaching, and probably literally saving lives by her public involvement with riders4helmets. But if you watch the video, or even check out her current Updates and look at what daily life is like -- read the entry from last Thanksgiving -- it's hard to imagine how anyone thinks chucking a helmet on their head and buckling the chinstrap is not worth it.
    Last edited by Martha Drum; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: omitted NOT, various other problems

Go for it, blast me. I don't wear a helmet. I can't stand them. I don't like any kind of hat on my head. I grew up riding bikes, skiing and riding horses without a helmet, and I'm still here. No car seats or seat belts when I was a kid either- the protective device was a parent's arm. I always wore one snowmobiling, and wouldn't dream of getting on a motorcycle without one.

It's a personal choice, and the more preaching I hear from helmet Nazis, the less inclined I am to wear one. My dad died in a snowmobile accident from head trauma, and he WAS wearing a helmet. When it's your time, it's your time.

7 members found this post helpful.

I hated hated hated helmets. The ones we had to wear at school/camp in the 80s were hot & gross, plus most were worse than nothing b/c of hard brim, poor fit, no padding...(I admit they looked a bit nicer than some today).

I started wearing one when I looked around & saw that all of the riders I respected, including my trainer, wore one. Also, the fact that Debbie McDonald required them for her clinic.

I expected to HATE it. I had a troxell that was not any better in terms of comfort than the old ones. I got an ISF & I love it. I forget it is on.

I do look like a total dork, b/c I have a pin head. It looks like a giant bowl. I picked out the one I did b/c I thought it looked nice on others. Not on me. UGH. I try to think of it as "sporty"

I wear it every time. it would be my shite luck to not wear it one day, b/c I was too lazy to go back to the tack, and then regret it from my wheelchair for the rest of my life. someone said: you don't get on thinking "today is the day I will fall off, better put it on today". you just wear it.

I do admit I think they look god awful with a saddle suit. If i was still riding saddle seat, I might forgo one in the show ring. There, I said it.

All this talk about race car helmets...I remember out trainer's race car driving husband making (asking) her wear one of his helmets when she took one of her roadster to bikes out on the road. I always thought that he was most worried about flying shoes.

I grew up taking lessons and I had to wear a helmet (at the time, no ASTM certified, anything went, usually the flimsy hunt cap with no chin strap.

So when I got my own horse, I ditched the helmet, only wearing it for lessons and shows. I have pictures of young adult me jumping cross country with no helmet on.
    I also have pictures of 4 months-preggers me jumping a 3' stadium jump sans helmet.
    Then I moved my horse to a place where the BO required helmets when riding. So, I bought the lightest, comfiest vented helmet I could find that would still be reasonably priced: a Tipperary.
    Now when I don't have it on, I feel naked! I always wear it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    Do you really think somebody who does not wear a helmet is going to post and subject themseleves to the ridicule which would be heaped on them by the helmet nazis?

I was debating posting asking those who DON'T wear helmets to post, as other COTHers will promise not to crush them with well-earned comments, but then I though, "Pfft. Please, like words have ever prevented COTHers from going at it.."

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Go for it, blast me. I don't wear a helmet. I can't stand them. I don't like any kind of hat on my head. I grew up riding bikes, skiing and riding horses without a helmet, and I'm still here. No car seats or seat belts when I was a kid either- the protective device was a parent's arm. I always wore one snowmobiling, and wouldn't dream of getting on a motorcycle without one.

It's a personal choice, and the more preaching I hear from helmet Nazis, the less inclined I am to wear one. My dad died in a snowmobile accident from head trauma, and he WAS wearing a helmet. When it's your time, it's your time.

Fair enough. I don't agree, but I can respect your opinion.

2 members found this post helpful.

I always wear a helmet. I also always wear a seatbelt. I just feel really weird if I don't use either, even if I'm only driving 2mph down the driveway, or walking my 27 year old Morgan out to graze bareback. It's no extra trouble for me to put either on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_Mare View Post
    Fair enough. I don't agree, but I can respect your opinion.
    I agree with this sentiment towards shakeytail's post. An acquaintance never wears a helmet, even when she's schooling over 4' fences. You don't roll your eyes when I wear one, and I won't roll my eyes when you don't.

LOL I won't tell you what to wear on your head if you don't tell me what religion or politics I should believe. Live and let live. I agree its personal choice at least where its not governed by other people's rules.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Go for it, blast me. I don't wear a helmet. I can't stand them. I don't like any kind of hat on my head. I grew up riding bikes, skiing and riding horses without a helmet, and I'm still here.
    I'm not going to blast you because what you do doesn't effect me or my loved ones. I do always have to wonder about the I didn't do "X" and I'm still here logic. The people who didn't do "X" and weren't as lucky aren't able to be here to talk about it.

That statement just has never made any sense to me.

7 members found this post helpful.

Always. Won't get on a horse without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arab_Mare View Post
    I was debating posting asking those who DON'T wear helmets to post, as other COTHers will promise not to crush them with well-earned comments, but then I though, "Pfft. Please, like words have ever prevented COTHers from going at it.."
    Fans of COTH blood-sport, see "Helmets Required" thread on Dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I'm not going to blast you because what you do doesn't effect me or my loved ones. I do always have to wonder about the I didn't do "X" and I'm still here logic. The people who didn't do "X" and weren't as lucky aren't able to be here to talk about it.

That statement just has never made any sense to me.
    Same here - as well as the "if it's your time, it's your time." So, if you had cancer, you'd skip the treatment, because it is either your time or not? Heart attack, just wait and see what happens? Equally absurd.

4 members found this post helpful.

Every ride. And I'm about to add a vest to the mix. I just don't bounce like I used to.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

i just saw this video of Courtney. it broke my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Same here - as well as the "if it's your time, it's your time." So, if you had cancer, you'd skip the treatment, because it is either your time or not? Heart attack, just wait and see what happens? Equally absurd.
    not really. my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and prescribed a series of radiation treatments. she opted to do half and then took no further medication etc.

she passed away 2 years ago she was 85.

so not absurd at all. people make choices every day.

Its a rule at the barn I've ridden at since I was a tiny child, so it is pretty much ingrained in me to wear an approved helmet. I honestly don't even think about it when I put it on since it is such a part of my routine. I've never ridden without one before.

If I'm on a horse I've got a hat on. I also wear it for lead training/trailer training youngsters, and other slightly dicey jobs. I really don't mind wearing it, its comfy enough and it cost enough too, may as well get some use out of it