The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do You Wear Helmets While Riding?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

390 91.12%
  • No, never.

18 4.21%
  • Sometimes.

20 4.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sent wishfulthinking711 a PM but this is easier -- I don't remember where that line came from and think it is in the public domain, but I can't claim to have made it up myself.

I do love telling it to my little tiny lesson students ... watching them as they parse out the meaning .... and then smile at the idea that they are actually allowed to think that some grownups are dodoheads. They always want to wear the hat after that.

2 members found this post helpful.

Always. I am the daughter of a TBI survivor. I know how valuable my brain can be. I strap on my GPA for every ride, even if it's just a bareback walk.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Everyday, every ride, every horse.

I just stopped wearing my XC vest on my own personal horse. I feel naked with out it but its really hard to sit the trot in that puppy in a dressage saddle. Granted I have 6 months of professional training on ex-bad pony that has made him into extraordinary pony.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

this conversation reminds me of when condoms were the PSA of the moment... especially lines such as:

"everyday, every ride, every horse"

lol!

I voted always. I am on blood thinners and need to be as safe as possible.

1 members found this post helpful.

Interesting choice of words there...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    this conversation reminds me of when condoms were the PSA of the moment... especially lines such as:

"everyday, every ride, every horse"

lol!
    Now that's funny. LOL
    Riding our Trojan horses...
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I started wearing a helmet every time I got on a horse after a friend was severely injured in a non-horse related accident (car wreck). He had a very bad head injury and watching him struggle with the most simple tasks even after recovery made me very committed to protecting my brain. It is my most valuable asset and I don't want it to be compromised! I also seem to have a habit of falling on my head when I do fall -- whether on a jump or propelled into the arena fence or bailing off the bucking bronco. Any such fall, I replace the helmet. Heck, I'll even put my helmet on for stuff like cleaning sheaths now. Maybe it makes me a weenie to some, but I consider it smart!
    Dangit! My original post on this thread was supposed to include this quote.

Interesting choice of words, horsepoor...
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

It's a habit and I feel naked without it when on a horse, but...

I got bucked off in Jan 2012 and knocked out for over 4 minutes. That was the first time I've been knocked unconscious, and I shudder to think what it would have been without the approved helmet. The helmet was replaced long before my bruised butt touched the saddle again.

I have fallen off a couple of times and said "I'm going to have a heck of a headache" and then didn't have any kind of headache. Helmet replaced every time. Once a young horse managed to flip me when he bolted on the longe. I just happened to be wearing my helmet that day because I was going to ride him after the longe and it's easier to carry my helmet on my head. Bye bye helmet, time for a new one.

With the way modern helmets are designed it is SO important that we replace them after they've saved our nuts once. Concussions are caused by the brain slamming into the inside of the skull. The concussion increases when our heads bounce off the ground because the skull and brain are travelling in opposite directions at the time of (brain) impact. Modern helmets have linings that crush without rebounding into their original shape. It takes a fair bit of force to crush the lining and that force robs the skull of speed - slowing it down before the rebound, which also reduces the force of the rebound. The reduction in skull speed before the rebound can be enough for the fluid around the brain to slow it down enough to avoid impact with the skull entirely, but at the least it reduces the force of impact (and the severity of the concussion). Often the crushing of the lining isn't noticeable, but SOME of the ability of the material to absorb force is gone and it might be needed next time. So really, unless you can 100% guarantee you won't hit your head near that spot again... replace the helmet.

My helmet of choice for schooling is under $100 (including taxes) so that I don't have to worry about replacing it when needed.

I started wearing one as a result of some of the links on brain injuries here on COTH back in 2002. When USEF started requiring approved helmets for minors, and I was getting back into showing as an adult, I decided that it was safer to have an approve helmet, and it would set a good example for kids.

I wear one no matter what horse I am on, or what I am doing. I don't say anything to any the adults if they choose not to wear one, unless there is an incident with one of my friends, and they were without a helmet. Then I might make a remark afterwards, like " I worry about you when you don't wear your helmet" and I'll leave it at that. It seems to be somewhat effective, as one of my friends now wears a helmet most of the time, when she used to not wear one unless jumping.

I voted Yes, always! It's a no-brainer to me. You can still have a bad fall with one but your chances of recovery and less brain damage are significant if you have a properly fitted helmet.

All the barns I've ever ridden at required all mounted riders to be wearing helmets, and one time at a co-op we asked a younger boarder to leave because she wouldn't wear a helmet consistently.

It took a long time to get to the point where grabbing a helmet was a habit. Grew up riding in the days when helmets were plastic shells stored away until hunt meets or show.

I do still have my favorite hunt cap that fits perfectly but daily I wear something cheap but approved that can get trashed and I don't feel bad about it.

Always. Most of my formative riding years were during the '70s...there were plenty of people riding without helmets back then, but my trainer made us wear them. Of course, nothing was certified back then. We generally wore those Caliente, racing style, helmets for schooling and, of course, the totally non-protective hunt caps for showing.

At the time, as a teen wanting to be like the "cool kids", I resented wearing a helmet when so many others were schooling without one at shows. Now I appreciate that my trainer was way before her time and I acquired a habit so ingrained that my head feels naked without a helmet on a horse, can't imagine sitting on a horse without one.

I voted yes, always. But I have a question: How often are you supposed to replace a helmet in the oprdinary course of things (no falls, helmet in fine shape)? I use a fairly inexpensive Troxel.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Always have, always will. Every ride
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Always - since a college friend died at 19 when a bee stung her horse while she was hacking back to the stables bareback at a show. I'm now 57 but Robin never made it past 19 and I've never forgotten that.

Every ride. I've had two concussions from being in car accidents and can't afford to lose any more brain cells.

Helmet and vest every ride, lunging too, no matter how hot or cold out.

2005, and I had just gotten my first horse as an adult. I'm riding, bareback, no helmet. My five-year-old son says "Mommy, why do I wear a football helmet, and a bike helmet, and a baseball helmet, but you don't wear one way up there on that horse?". Point taken. Every single ride since, even though my mare is a saint, and I haven't fallen off since 1981. That just means I'm long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    How often are you supposed to replace a helmet in the ordinary course of things (no falls, helmet in fine shape)?
    Each manufacturer sets their own recommendation. I would imagine Troxel has excellent information available online or through a 1 800 number, or you could ask at a tack store to be allowed to open a box and read the information that comes with the helmet. May not be the exact guideline for yours but probably close. It's not so often as to be unbearable -- though somehow, I seem to keep needing a new one before that times comes around ... turns out I can go airborne without a sharps container too