The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do You Wear Helmets While Riding?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

390 91.12%
  • No, never.

18 4.21%
  • Sometimes.

20 4.67%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I do not wear a helmet ever. It is not because I am vain, to look cool or because I am not intelligent. I have an over active gag reflex as well as a paranoia to anything around my chin/upper neck area. It is very sensitve, for instance, I was woken up in the middle of the night in a panic and gagging because my sheets had gotten tight around my neck. I have no idea why I am like this but I will freak out if anything is around that area. In fact, I am getting icky feeling just writing about it.

I do think about wearing a helmet as I have gotten older but unless it can be glued to my head, it won't happen. I never judge anyone for wearing one or if they choose not too. I ride western and helmets are starting to show up at some of the shows/clinics I attend. I never look at them negatively because they do not have a cowboy hat.

I've got a short, steady eddy horse that's too lazy to spook or bolt hard, is dominant enough that not much scares him and I still wear my helmet and a safety vest. The other day, a parent that knows how to ride was out with her daughter and I offered him to her to ride when her daughter is riding. Then had to explain all the gear was for me, not because I was offering her a scary monster horse. I have brittle bones and several cracked vertebrae, so even a slip while mounting is a scary thought.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in the sometimes crowd... I wear one to jump and when I'm riding younger/unpredictable horses. Usually I won't wear one on a trail ride or if I'm riding my steady eddie paint gelding. I used to never wear one so I'm getting better.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    not really. my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and prescribed a series of radiation treatments. she opted to do half and then took no further medication etc.

she passed away 2 years ago she was 85.

so not absurd at all. people make choices every day.
    So, that's proof that all cancer patients should forego treatment, and their survival will be unaffected? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    So, that's proof that all cancer patients should forego treatment, and their survival will be unaffected? Seriously?
    ????? no, just that people make choices - and those may not be the ones you might make or that you might feel is moral. doesn't mean your POV should be shoved down the throats of others, nor does it mean folks who chose differently are immoral or wrong. people have a right to chose their own medical treatment - they even have the right to choice no treatment. that is why there are health care directives that are legal documents.

I've always worn one but was known to hop on here or there without one.

Back before the requirements I also schooled in an approved helmet but showed in the non-approved version with the clear chin strap.

Then one day during a lesson (in which I was wearing my approved helmet) my horse flipped over on top of me upon landing from a jump.

I don't remember it, but apparently she fell on top of me, and then scrambled to get up - stepping on my head in the process.

It still scares the crap out of me to think what could have happened! I got knocked out and pretty beat up, but walked away from it. My non-approved helmet went directly in the trash as well.

If that didn't convince me to take my own safety seriously then I deserve brain damage!

Every ride, though I do admit to they hypocrisy of not wearing one while on a vacation trail ride. That does seem a little silly, since I KNOW my horse at home and generally what will scare him (if there's a headsup of course), and generally how he spooks (he's a big spook-and- scuttle, not a wheel-and-spinner) whereas the trail horses i've never met before, don't know anything about them and assume they're "safe enough"... silly bc i'd still wear one at home on a walking trail ride... hmm.
    Once in the last three years, i had left my helmet at home but thankfully MrB was following behind to watch my lesson so he brought it. The lesson was beginning and my trainer let me hop on and begin walking in the arena. I was OK with it but also really happy to see MrB arrive with my helmet after just a minute or so.
    I just feel more comfortable and confident with one on, yet only notice it right when I put it on and mount up. I was riding at my old barn in lessons during a trip home this summer and wearing their troxel plastic helmets. All those vents made quite the breeze and it felt like i didn't have a helmet on... now that was distracting!
    My trainer doesn't wear one except at shows or on other people's land/facility (or for IEA stuff). I and other riders really wish she would wear one, and I've half-jokingly told her that maybe I could be bequeathed her horse i ride if anything happens to her... but she's her own person.
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

I wear an approved helmet every ride.

Anyone who takes a lesson from me will wear an approved helmet every minute that they expect me to stand in the ring for them.

Anyone who is sitting on a horse that I own will wear an approved helmet every second they are on it.

People are more than welcome to do as they like on their own time and their own horse. On my time and my horses everyone wears an approved helmet.

2 members found this post helpful.

My helmet is strapped onto my head before i pick up my tack.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I don't always wear a helmet, and I am pretty d*mn tired of hearing about it from people who would like to make that choice *for* me. And I don't refuse to wear one out of vanity (their usual claim) or because I don't care about my family (what BS) but because I ride for fun and recreation, and I've yet to find a helmet that is comfortable enough not to bother me when worn for more than a few minutes.

I do s*ck it up and wear one to show, since it's obviously required. I also wear one at facilities that require one, or at clinics where they are expected/required. At home, where they are not? Not so much. Is it a risk? Sure. Getting on a horse in general presents a risk of being injured or even killed (even with a helmet.) In my opinion, everyone who rides is somewhere on that continuum and makes the same type of determination; it's simply a matter of where they "draw the line," based on their individual judgement. For some, that means a full safety vest, helmet, etc. Others will only ride certain horses, or under certain conditions (in an arena, for example, but not outside a ring.)

I would never dream of criticizing someone else's choices, nor would I look down on someone who made different choices than I make for myself.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I don't always wear a helmet, and I am pretty d*mn tired of hearing about it from people who would like to make that choice *for* me. And I don't refuse to wear one out of vanity (their usual claim) or because I don't care about my family (what BS) but because I ride for fun and recreation, and I've yet to find a helmet that is comfortable enough not to bother me when worn for more than a few minutes.

I do s*ck it up and wear one to show, since it's obviously required. I also wear one at facilities that require one, or at clinics where they are expected/required. At home, where they are not? Not so much. Is it a risk? Sure. Getting on a horse in general presents a risk of being injured or even killed (even with a helmet.) In my opinion, everyone who rides is somewhere on that continuum and makes the same type of determination; it's simply a matter of where they "draw the line," based on their individual judgement. For some, that means a full safety vest, helmet, etc. Others will only ride certain horses, or under certain conditions (in an arena, for example, but not outside a ring.)

I would never dream of criticizing someone else's choices, nor would I look down on someone who made different choices than I make for myself.
    I force myself to wear it, but the rest of what you said, 100%! However, today we have many, many people who passionately believe that they have the right, nay, duty to intervene in other adults' private personal choices. It's been catching like wildfire since 9/11. Sheepsters now thoughtlessly surrender personal freedoms thought inviolate since the Magna Carta because some marketing dept. told them they'll be "safe." Stunted "kidults," uncomfortable with taking personal responsibility for their own choices, they are looking for the big Mommy & Daddy in the Cloud to make all the decisions for them. This is the future of America.

I'm one of the guilty non-users... I used to wear a helmet and my xc vest every time I rode the Crazy Chestnut Mare... then I went to college and was about 50/50 but always wore one when riding out of an arena or jumping... after college I made the switch from eventers to reiners and haven't worn one unless it's required at the barn I'm riding at. My little qh gelding is so broke that I do things I wouldn't even consider doing on my tb's even if I was bubble wrapped (think bareback with a rein around his neck in an arena without fence). The Crazy Chestnut Mare will be foaling in a few weeks and I can tell you right now that every time I climb on that baby I'll have a helmet on...

Default CKD is what changed my habits

I wore a helmet "most" of the time before the CKD accident. If I was out in the arena and had forgotten it, I just rode without it. If it was sweaty from a previous ride, I would skip it.

But after CKD's accident I realized that I needed to be more safe and that a helmet was a minor inconvenience. Now I wear a helmet every ride, no exceptions. I have several helmets so there is no excuse anymore.

We also have our own barn and in 2012 made it a requirement that helmets be worn anytime when mounted. Most people had already migrated to that but we decided that this was one issue where we could impose the 'my barn;my rules'.

I hear all the arguments and respect an individual's right to choose but the pros far outweigh the cons. I also read the thread about folks not being able to wear their tophat when they go down centerline for their first FEI test. I get that too. I did wear my tophat for that first FEI ride as it was pre-CKD. I can tell you that it is not what is on your head that you will remember but what is in your heart. I was fighting back tears when I finished and it had nothing to do with what I was wearing. I dream of my first GP. I can tell you that I won't even care or know what is on my head.
    m

Recovery (probably never complete) from a TBI depends not only on the victim but also their support system. After taking care of my mother I would never knowingly ask that of my family. I saw other brain damaged patients, mostly stroke, who didn't have the backup support my mother had end up relegated to custodial care
    Last edited by carolprudm; Feb. 26, 2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sp
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

After witnessing a neighbor being care flighted to the hospital after her horse spooked (at a walk) and her head hit a pipe fence, I never ride without a helmet. Period.

Always, always, always.
    I only have 1 brain.

Hubby now drives. Also always, always, always wear it when in the carriage. Period.

Did I mention I only have 1 brain? And so does he?