The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Carbonite back-up... worth it?

I need to start saving all my files as I have been very lazy about it (mostly due to not being very computer literate). Carbonite looks pretty good but does anyone have a better way? Should I just get an external hard drive and back up that way?

I back up things that are important to an external hard drive and also to drop box. Two levels of protection.

I'm very leery of my personal data floating around out there on "the cloud". It's just one more place to get hacked.

I use flash drives.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

I use Carbonite and have yet to need to use it. However, my Mom uses it and when her computer crashed, it was super easy to have Carbonite download everything to the new computer. I'm a grad student and have every paper and research resource on my laptop. If/when it crashes, I hope Carbonite does the same for me.
    “It’s amazing what you can achieve when you make something mandatory and fine people if they don’t do it."
    Jimmy Fallon on Obamacare.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I use M-Disc optical discs and professional-grade flash drives. I don't and won't use anything else, including cloud backup.
    SPACE FOR RENT

I'm biased but I prefer an external hard drive. They are cheap and you keep control. There are small networked storage boxes you can keep in a different location if you want that extra protection.

Most of the external boxes come with software that auto backs up for you daily or at a timing of your choice so you don't have to worry about it. There are some nice wireless ones that you can also use to stream content to your tablet as well as back up your computer.

we've had carbonite for years and it's awesome - DH's computer has crashed three times (twice his own fault lol), and all three times carbonite saved his tail big time. very reasonable cost too. have recommended it to many people, and all those we know that got it love it too.

not worth, and hard t get them to stop billing you when you want out of the service. Buy an external drive and some backup software.

I did some online research before I chose SugarSync. I started thinking Carbonite was the one, but I was in the clutch of advertising think. I love SugarSync. Got ALL my stuff back easily when my Mac died - which is the real reason I use cloud storage. I can share everything with multiple computers and select things to share with individuals. I can even see my entire desktop on my iPhone. Cool. There are features comparisons and reviews on line. I would look at those before buying. And yes, I also use external drives for some things as well. I like redundancy in computer land!

Thanks so much! Wow, I need to do a bit more research. Everyone has very compelling reasons for what they use, LOL! M-Disc is interesting and easy. SugarSync sounds good too but people make a good point about keeping things "close" and not out there in cyber land (not that I have anything to hide LOL).
    Again, thanks for the replies as you all have given me great information and opinions.

I just can't see paying out cold cash year after year. I have an external hard drive that automatically saves everything every day. Only problem is that I can't figure out how to download things from it. But, that's because I'm not computer savvy, not because the hard drive isn't any good.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm quite techy and I think Carbonite is wonderful. And for people who are not very techy, it could be literally the difference between losing your stuff forever and easily getting it back. Easy to set up and you never have to think about it again.

As for external drives, that is great, but what if you have a house fire or flood? Unless you store that external drove off-site (what a pain!) then your info is not safe. And external drives fail.

Carbonite has redundant back ups and you can access any file it has saved from any other computer in the world (or on your smart phone). Everything is encrypted and password protected.

And finally, if Kim Komando (www.komando.com "the Digital Goddess") uses it, it's good enough for me!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Kind of depends on personal preference, but I love Carbonite. Being able to access files from my phone has saved my butt a couple of times, and I love that it is in the cloud and I don't have one more thing taking up space. And for me, my computer is generally a laptop that is going to the office with me, etc, and when I come home, I'm using it on the couch - so I would never think to plug in an external hard drive (until the computer crashed and I was kicking myself). It does annoy me every year when I have to pay for it, though - cost is reasonable, but just not a "fun" thing to spend money on.

I've used Carbonite for several years and like it.

Prior to purchasing Carbonite I used an external hard drive. That worked well if I had a computer issue, but my apartment was broken into and the external hard drive was stolen along with my laptop which meant I lost everything. I also had some concerns with having my information out on the cloud, but based on my experience I want to have my information baked up outside of my house in case of theft, fire, etc.

I also found that with the external hard drive I wasn't very dedicated about baking up my data frequently, I love that Carbonite does it automatically and I don't have to think about it!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I have an external hard drive and also use Carbonite.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I have used Carbonite for several years. When my almost new computer crashed after only two months, it was nice to be able to restore everything (except the programs, of course). It did take three days on my slow DSL to get it back though.

As others have said, external hard drives do die and things do get stolen.