The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default Torn between two horses. Need help ASAP



    I'm all set to vet check a gorgeous NZ OTTB. He's 10 with 38 starts. Great handling, one trainer, one owner, light racing schedule, a year and half of let down. He's up-to-date on everything, healthy weight, beautiful feet, shod, supplemented, etc. Beautiful conformation. He is VERY green, but has go, whoa, and two leads.

    A friend who rescues auction horses called me to check out a 4 y/o filly. I don't know her history but the vet who looked at her and thinks she's sound (with a tiny bit of hoof soreness from over-trimming). She came from a feedlot. I looked her up: 8 starts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, then retired (???). She is over at one knee, but otherwise has very nice conformation.

    They both have things I want, but are very different from one another:

    He is $3500 and she is $500.

    He is older and she is younger (my preference).

    He has a known history and hers is totally unknown.

    He has a long, successful racing career and hers was brief.

    He is flashy and handsome (grey + strawberry roan) and she is fairly plain (bay w/ no markings and a bulgy forehead).

    He has straight, clean legs and she is over at one knee.

    He is a nice mover but she is an incredible mover (major suspension and huge floaty gaits).

    He is a gelding (my preference + easier re-sale) and she is a mare.

    He has more re-training and she is basically fresh off the track.

    Both have very nice overall conformation. He is built more like a warmblood (beefier, bigger bones, well-sprung ribs, etc.) and she is more like a typical American TB (refined, long and lean, more narrow).

    Both are incredibly sweet and have nice ground manners.



    Would appreciate your input. I don't have a big budget, so I know I'm going to have to compromise on certain things. I was fairly confident about my decision to adopt the NZ TB gelding, but after seeing such a lovely, talented mare for dirt cheap I'm second-guessing myself. I think I'm just overwhelmed and burnt out on horse shopping.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    What's your risk tolerance?

    The older horse seems to be the safer bet IMO. Can you vet the filly? How long ago was her last race? The only reason why I ask is that sometimes horses that are doing nothing seem to be sounder than they actually are.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 1999
    Location
    Just Enough Farm, GA
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    If he vets clean, I'd go for the gelding. Over at the knee on only one knee bothers me.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb



    3 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    16,583

    Default

    Well, what are you looking for, really?

    The gelding sounds very nice--ready to go and very resellable.

    The filly sounds like *perhaps* a diamond in the rough, but could also be a heartache.

    If you're looking for something ready to go and more of a sure thing, I would go with the gelding.

    If you're willing to take some risk and maybe have your heart broken, the filly might be worth a look.

    But I would want a thorough vetting of the filly, if you are seriously considering her. Some very nice horses are thrown away, but in general, there's a reason why they end up on the feedlot. Particularly one who has won some money and has come close to breaking her maiden.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2008
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Not many replies, but.

    Look at each reply. Mwhen one hits you like this: oh Shoot, not what I wanted them tonsay, OR, YUP!!! I thought the same. That is your heart telling you which way to go. So, follow it. If none of them did that....go with the Gelding if you are a safety lover. If you dont mind risks, like them, go with the mare.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    Offer $3K for the gelding.
    Click here before you buy.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,096

    Default

    Offer less for the gelding and buy both...turn filly out for 6 months spend your show $$ on gelding and when it's time do some basics on filly...you can then decide who to keep...just kick her out no fancy stall boarding...and the knee sold one like that to BN ULR it's no biggie....the trot if its a WOW and has jump to match....


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    This is what I do. I pretend I sent the money for the one horse. I sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.
    The mare almost sounds like an impulse buy.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    500

    Default

    can you take them on trial at all? that would be ideal.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 17, 2007
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    649

    Default

    If they were the same price, which one would you choose to vet?

    It's a big price difference, for sure (and as a fellow budget shopper I understand), but sometimes you get what you pay for.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    I bought my horse of a lifetime from a low end auction, and other nice horses as well. In my opinion and experience it's important to see the horse in the flesh before committing to it and most important to see if you connect with the horse. Good luck!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,669

    Default

    The gelding. The heavier bones and better build is going to hold up for eventing better. I'm surprised nobody on here has tracked him down and snapped him up while you think, as the NZ and UK bred horses usually move fast to the eventers and fox hunters. At least to the people I know
    Last edited by Couture TB; Feb. 22, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: stupid auto correct


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    12,994

    Default

    The gelding, for so many reasons (one being, he's a gelding ).


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2007
    Location
    Steuben County, NY
    Posts
    82

    Default

    The filly! Provided she passes the PPE.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I'm surprised nobody on here has tracked him down and snapped him up while you think, as the NZ and UK bred horses usually move fast to the eventers and fox hunters. At least to the people I know
    Oh my gosh, that would be awful! I'm so glad no one has done that. That would be devastating.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    The gelding, for so many reasons (one being, he's a gelding ).
    Hahaha, I hate to admit it, but I kind of agree.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    The gelding. The heavier bones and better build is going to hold up for eventing better.
    That's my gut too. I love a thicker horse. My last eventer was a quarter horse, and he could jump like nobody's business.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
    If they were the same price, which one would you choose to vet?

    It's a big price difference, for sure (and as a fellow budget shopper I understand), but sometimes you get what you pay for.
    Wow, what a good question! I would buy the gelding. That helps a lot!!!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2009
    Posts
    8,627

    Default This ~ exactly my thoughts !

    This is how I would proceed also ~ GOOD LUCK !


    Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Offer $3K for the gelding.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    The mare almost sounds like an impulse buy.
    Yes, I think that's true to some degree. I was really committed in my heart and mind to the gelding, but this is such a major decision (I board and can only afford one horse and tend to bond very deeply with my partner) that I keep second-guessing myself. Once it happens, I know I will never look back.



Similar Threads

  1. Horses Need Re-Homing ASAP! (TALLAHASSEE, FL)
    By tally*ho in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
  2. PA - Ex Police Horses need home ASAP
    By DiablosHalo in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 4, 2011, 07:54 AM
  3. Horses need home- ASAP
    By rodandmicha in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 2, 2011, 09:00 AM
  4. torn between two horses...
    By kcmel in forum Off Course
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2010, 09:41 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 24, 2010, 01:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •