I'm all set to vet check a gorgeous NZ OTTB. He's 10 with 38 starts. Great handling, one trainer, one owner, light racing schedule, a year and half of let down. He's up-to-date on everything, healthy weight, beautiful feet, shod, supplemented, etc. Beautiful conformation. He is VERY green, but has go, whoa, and two leads.
A friend who rescues auction horses called me to check out a 4 y/o filly. I don't know her history but the vet who looked at her and thinks she's sound (with a tiny bit of hoof soreness from over-trimming). She came from a feedlot. I looked her up: 8 starts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, then retired (???). She is over at one knee, but otherwise has very nice conformation.
They both have things I want, but are very different from one another:
He is $3500 and she is $500.
He is older and she is younger (my preference).
He has a known history and hers is totally unknown.
He has a long, successful racing career and hers was brief.
He is flashy and handsome (grey + strawberry roan) and she is fairly plain (bay w/ no markings and a bulgy forehead).
He has straight, clean legs and she is over at one knee.
He is a nice mover but she is an incredible mover (major suspension and huge floaty gaits).
He is a gelding (my preference + easier re-sale) and she is a mare.
He has more re-training and she is basically fresh off the track.
Both have very nice overall conformation. He is built more like a warmblood (beefier, bigger bones, well-sprung ribs, etc.) and she is more like a typical American TB (refined, long and lean, more narrow).
Both are incredibly sweet and have nice ground manners.
Would appreciate your input. I don't have a big budget, so I know I'm going to have to compromise on certain things. I was fairly confident about my decision to adopt the NZ TB gelding, but after seeing such a lovely, talented mare for dirt cheap I'm second-guessing myself. I think I'm just overwhelmed and burnt out on horse shopping.
The older horse seems to be the safer bet IMO. Can you vet the filly? How long ago was her last race? The only reason why I ask is that sometimes horses that are doing nothing seem to be sounder than they actually are.
The gelding sounds very nice--ready to go and very resellable.
The filly sounds like *perhaps* a diamond in the rough, but could also be a heartache.
If you're looking for something ready to go and more of a sure thing, I would go with the gelding.
If you're willing to take some risk and maybe have your heart broken, the filly might be worth a look.
But I would want a thorough vetting of the filly, if you are seriously considering her. Some very nice horses are thrown away, but in general, there's a reason why they end up on the feedlot. Particularly one who has won some money and has come close to breaking her maiden.
Look at each reply. Mwhen one hits you like this: oh Shoot, not what I wanted them tonsay, OR, YUP!!! I thought the same. That is your heart telling you which way to go. So, follow it. If none of them did that....go with the Gelding if you are a safety lover. If you dont mind risks, like them, go with the mare.
Offer less for the gelding and buy both...turn filly out for 6 months spend your show $$ on gelding and when it's time do some basics on filly...you can then decide who to keep...just kick her out no fancy stall boarding...and the knee sold one like that to BN ULR it's no biggie....the trot if its a WOW and has jump to match....
I bought my horse of a lifetime from a low end auction, and other nice horses as well. In my opinion and experience it's important to see the horse in the flesh before committing to it and most important to see if you connect with the horse. Good luck!
The gelding. The heavier bones and better build is going to hold up for eventing better. I'm surprised nobody on here has tracked him down and snapped him up while you think, as the NZ and UK bred horses usually move fast to the eventers and fox hunters. At least to the people I know
Last edited by Couture TB; Feb. 22, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Reason: stupid auto correct
Yes, I think that's true to some degree. I was really committed in my heart and mind to the gelding, but this is such a major decision (I board and can only afford one horse and tend to bond very deeply with my partner) that I keep second-guessing myself. Once it happens, I know I will never look back.