The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neck straps?--Janet?

People use them all the time. But are they actually legal?

"EV115 Saddlery.
    1. EXERCISE AREAS. The following restrictions begin at 3:00 p.m. of the day prior to the start of the entire competition and continue throughout the duration of the event. The following are compulsory: an English type saddle and any form of bridle, including double bridle, snaffle, gag or hackamores. Running martingales with rein stops, Irish martingales, bit guards, boots, bandages, fly shields, nose covers, and seat covers are permitted. Side reins are permitted only while lunging an unmounted horse, as are running reins and chambons. Other martingales, any form of gadget (such as a bearing, running or balancing reins, etc.) and any form of
    blinkers, are forbidden, under penalty of disqualification."

2. DRESSAGE TEST.
    e. Martingales, bit guards, any kind of gadgets (such as bearing, side, running or balancing reins, etc.), reins with any loops or hand attachments, any kind of boots or leg bandages and any form of blinkers, including earmuffs, earplugs, hoods, fly shields, nose covers and seat covers are, under penalty of elimination, strictly forbidden.

3. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST AND JUMPING TEST.
    a. The type of saddlery is optional with the exception of any form of blinkers, which are forbidden.

Janet, do you know?

Hmmm. Interesting question.

Would neck straps be considered "martingales"? "gadgets"?

If so the only martingales permitted are running and Irish for warmups, it clearly says "other martingales...are forbidden.." but then it contradicts itself completely by stating that "saddlery is optional" for the XC and jumping portions.

Typical...rulebook is full of this sort of dichotomy. Rules gurus? And are there any other applicable explanations for neck straps?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Since the neck strap cannot be used as an "aid" in the traditional sense, my guess is it wouldn't be considered a gadget. But who would use one hacking out or in dressage, anyway? For the jumping tests, pretty much anything goes.
    Click here before you buy.

Legal for jumping phases and as a TD I would rather see a jumping strap instead often rider hanging on the reins. Also I like to see them on young horses as they often throw in the "hic-cup" jump so the rider can use the strap to balance and not get punished and more importantly not punish the horse.

Have seen riders with "bucking straps" on the front of their saddle in dressage. This makes more sense than a neck strap on the flat.
    An example of hand attachments are the reins with hand loops, which are not legal. However there was a competitor, whose hand was not fully developed, who was given approval to ride with a "rein-hand attachment."
    The bucking strap is used when the horse bucks or shies. Either activity normally results in a lower score for the movement. Should the rider use the strap for balance or to steady their hand, the judge will address with scoring and comments.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Well, I tried to use one in dressage for a USDF show, and learned that it is not legal for those shows.

Out of the blue, mare decided that judge was evil (or judge's box) and was DQ'd. Put strap on for 2nd test so I could ride through it.

Even though it was determined to be illegal, it was worth using for the schooling!

I used a yoke on my horse in all phases and was never questioned or commented on it. A yoke can "pass for" a breast plate in most cases and is legal.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Since the neck strap cannot be used as an "aid" in the traditional sense, my guess is it wouldn't be considered a gadget. But who would use one hacking out or in dressage, anyway? For the jumping tests, pretty much anything goes.

I put them on more frequently for hacking out than jumping.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think by "hacking" Delta means "riding around between phases" when a neck strap would be a great idea.
    I have a young horse who always has a neck strap on. I work in with it on and take it off before I go in the dressage arena, but leave it on for all jumping. She pings me out of the saddle and often gives me the feeling that she is jumping through me - no matter how balanced I am, I just can't keep up in the air over the fences.
    I also ride most of my horses with a buck strap across the front dees - including in the dressage arena. I rarely hold it, but had a horse who had a huge trot and used it when I had to do a medium sitting trot. Judges never commented and I can hardly tell when I watch the videos. Friends said they had no idea, even though they were looking for it. I guess that one day I'll get pinged, but I'm happy to keep grabbing for it for medium trots until then

I use one on everybody for jumping - from the ex-3-star horse to the new-to-jumping greenbean.

When my youngster was just starting out, he wore one every ride at home. We went to one of our first mini-trials and I left the neck strap on the trailer when I tacked up for dressage...since I figured it would be more trouble to take it off between the warmup and my test. Well, my greenbean had a melt-down over the large plastic grate/drain-cover thing he had to cross to enter the dressage rings...he started spinning around, then took a flying leap over the drain-cover...I reached for my trusty neckstrap...and remembered it was on the trailer as I ate dirt on the way to my dressage test. Needless to say, I got a leg up and rode down center line with stonedust all over me (we were next to go in when I had my unscheduled dismount...) - but boy did I miss my neck strap that day!

After that, my youngster got a nice black breastplate added to his dressage tack...just in case
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

At the suggestion of someone on this board, who saw my cross country ride on youtube, I just purchased one from BoB. That being said, I have been working out alot this Winter, so hopefully, my strength/balance will be such that it will only be there for the occasional whoopsie jump.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

To the best of my knowledge (and I have spent some time inquiring and reading rules), it is legal. A martingale may not be legal in dressage, but a breastplate certainly is. The TDs I have asked have said they consider it OK. It is explicity legal in the British eventing rules 7.19.2 (and let me just say, USEF needs to put a table like that in our rule book).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!