The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So Dr. COTH - what did I do to my knee?

OK so in May 2012 I briefly dislocated my lower leg. I had my brand new Dehners on, and when I knelt down to put boots on my horse, the spanish top on the boots pushed on my leg above my knee just the right way that it dislocated my leg.

I stood up and straighted my leg, and it popped back. It was a very painful experience, I had to sit down for a while before I got on the horse. When it happened, I distinctly felt a "pop".

For a few months thereafter my knee was very sore, and felt full? - that's the best way I can explain it- and it was very painful to crouch down/ fully bend the knee.

Well like any good horse person, I ignored it and it got better. Fast forward to last week. I joined a boxing gym this month and I now take fighter conditioning classes. I had actually forgotten about the knee until it started to hurt again a couple of days ago. It is not as bad as it was, but it is sore, and feels full, and seems prone to stiffening up, and I'm limping slightly. Feels different than when I did my MCL. Same knee btw.

So what did I do to it? It responds somewhat to NSAIDs and feels better if I use it. And it seems better today than it was two days ago (like I can kneel and put boots on the horse and not die). Did I tweak something maybe?

Check your ACL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterio...igament_injury

"Research has shown that women involved in sports are more likely to have ACL injuries than men. ACL tears can also happen in older individuals through slips and falls and are seen mostly in people over 40 due to wear and tear of the ligaments.
    An ACL tear can be diagnosed by a popping sound heard after impact, swelling after a couple of hours, severe pain when bending the knee, and when the knee buckles or locks during movement or gives way while standing still with weight on the affected knee."

http://www.smarttjournal.com/content/1/1/20
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I would not know, but I well know the feeling of not quite right and seems full, like there are some wet and soggy cotton balls in there.
    I think that is what you feel?

With any kind of trouble spot, you can't do much without a diagnosis first.

It's possible that you have developed Baker's cysts. They cause a feeling of "fullness" and make it uncomfortable to bend the knee. As to the popping sound, there are several things that can cause that, ranging from benign to serious. Go get checked out, before things get so out of hand you end up with permanent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    It's possible that you have developed Baker's cysts. They cause a feeling of "fullness" and make it uncomfortable to bend the knee. As to the popping sound, there are several things that can cause that, ranging from benign to serious. Go get checked out, before things get so out of hand you end up with permanent damage.
    I have Baker's cyst, the biggest the MRI technician had ever seen and they can be somewhat painful, mostly when they drain down into the calf muscles of your leg.
    They do not normally cause strange sounds in there and the fullness is in the back.

You need a diagnosis and best by someone that looks at knees all day long.

The popping sound would make me think ACL. Did your knee feel unstable afterwards at all, as if it was loose and not held properly in place?? That would point to ACL.

If it's fullness and no looseness, then the post above seems to make more sense.

Definitely recommend going to an orthopedist. Maybe you'll get some good exercises and advice to help get better.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!