The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm sitting.

The BO at one of the places I ride at has asked me if I'd be interested in farm sitting on occasion, to which I said yes. However, neither of us are sure of what a reasonable amount of pay would be. There are no extraneous staff so I would be taking care of all the daily chores while they were gone (stalls, turn out/in, feeding, paddocks, etc, for 8 horses).

If you're a BO, what would you pay as a daily figure? If you're a farm sitter, what would you expect?

Ballpark that looks like $100 a day to me.

Figure out how much time you think it will take, and a reasonable hourly rate. (Not minimum wage!) Then consider the inconvenience of being away from your own home, and what that's worth to you.

Then think about how a good farm sitter that you can trust and not worry when you leave home is *priceless*.

Don't under-value yourself or you'll end up resentful. You can always give a discount for booking in advance / repeat customer / whatever. It's much harder to raise your prices later.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

you could always find out if you could exchange board for it, depending on if it's a long enough period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    you could always find out if you could exchange board for it, depending on if it's a long enough period of time.
    I should've been more clear. I ride a horse owned by someone at the barn, I don't have my own (though I wish I did!). The BO previously did that exchange with their former farm sitter, which is why he doesn't know what a reasonable rate is, either.

And thanks for the advice, wsmoak!

oh, my bad...yea that makes life a little more difficult.

Actually that makes it completely simple. What was the board rate (since that is essentially what the other boarder was paid)?
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

I'd charge a min of $100/day or even more. You are not homeless so you do not need a place to live so you are doing them a great service if you are responsible and take care of everything,etc. And that kind of help is not cheap in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Actually that makes it completely simple. What was the board rate (since that is essentially what the other boarder was paid)?
    Not sure, I've never thought to ask. However, I'd peg it somewhere in the $650 (+/-) range given the amenities and location.

Thanks for the reply, nashfad. I agree, good barn help should definitely be compensated well. I'd like to keep the rate reasonable, but I also don't undervalue my knowledge and work ethic.