The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoody View Post
    BEN HARPER was bad? I saw him when we premiered a movie at the Cocoa Beach Playhouse and he was simply awesome. He and CJ Nelson (a surfer) did a couple of duets, and even CJ was pretty good for a non-pro. But I loved Ben, and he was such a nice guy - very down to earth and sweet. This was before he got famous (actually, it was back when Jack was still surfing pro, although he wasn't there). Sigh, another good memory dashed.

Sadly, yes! I was so excited for this show and we saw it at a great, small venue (Santa Barbara Bowl). I like what I guess is the more stereotypical Ben Harper stuff, and he played a lot of weird, electronic stuff. His voice was way off from the music, and it was mainly lights and smoke. Not a lot of singing actually going on. He seemed pretty out of it (I mean, it's a Ben Harper concert, I know - but way beyond like normal "I'm stoned").. eyes rolling back in his head, slurring (non-intentional) stumbling around, and way off from the music.. He played mostly stuff I've never even heard before.

Maybe I'm just unlucky with this venue as this is the same place I also saw my other "worst" concert (No Doubt..ugh... I was 12 or 13 and still thought they were awful). Or maybe we just got a bad night. I'm sure not every performer can put on a perfect show every time out.

Although I did see Pearl Jam there and that show was pretty epic, so....
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Default Worst I can remember at this moment?

I have to agree: Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard. It was about 7-8 years ago, I was very excited as I had never seen either one before. They both showed total comtempt for the audience. Bob played only electric guitar, and he never said one word to the audience, like Thank you, a little story about this song, etc. He never intro'ed any song, and I didn't recognise any of them. Merle was no better. I WAS a big fan of both. never again.
    Another killer of threads

-Bob Dylan last year. Not good.

-The Eagles a few years ago. Not overly great, reason I hated it was we were surrounded by old ladies with crazy perfume and I had an awful allergic reaction for the rest of the weekend

-Billy Idol. Friend still loves him, so we went with her. He was "tired" and kept disappearing while the band did instrumental stuff for what seemed hours on end.

-From long ago:
    -Courtney Love/Hole. Terrible
    -Beck. Not so great.
    -Nirvana. Sadly, not a good performance that night.
    -Weezer

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Paula Abdul. Late 80's when she had her first "hit".

Second date with someone who was too dumb to realize Paula was lip syncing.
    Oh my gosh, I saw it too. It was when she was all over entertainment news trying to convince the world she could really sing "come to my concert and see for yourself". 90 minutes of my life I will never get back.

A boy band called Color Me Badd opened for her. What a night; 4 grown people seeing a boy band and Paula Abdul. I left several IQ points behind I'm sure.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

The weirdest/worst concert I've been to would be when we went to see Coldplay in DC maybe 4 years ago. Coldplay was great, but whatever the hell they had for a second opening act was the WORST band ever. Their first opener was some battle-of-the-bands winner, and they were fine. But then the second one came on....holy crap were they bad.

I can't remember their name, but it sounded something like Sean Tofu. It was like watching Mili Vanilli dance if they were on acid. From the time the lights went down at the start of their set to when their set was over, at least half of the people in the Verizon Center had cleared out. Right before their last song, the lead 'singer' said something like "Thank you DC, you all have been wonderful" - and everyone who was left in the stadium clapped, probably thinking like we were that they were going to be done and we were happy about that. Then the singer continued with "We have one more song for you!!". The whole place groaned. At once, this huge all-Verizon Center collective groan. It was hilarious. I've never heard so many people make annoyed noises at the same time.
    Last edited by Indy; Feb. 22, 2013 at 02:19 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I went to see Eek A Mouse with DH a few years back in DC. He was really, really late coming out on stage (like 2+ hours) so the opening band (a trainwreck called Granola Funk Express) played on, and on, and on... I'm pretty sure they are one of the worst bands I've ever heard.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by terasa View Post

-The Eagles a few years ago. Not overly great, reason I hated it was we were surrounded by old ladies with crazy perfume and I had an awful allergic reaction for the rest of the weekend

-Billy Idol. Friend still loves him, so we went with her. He was "tired" and kept disappearing while the band did instrumental stuff for what seemed hours on end.

-From long ago:
    -Beck. Not so great.
    -Weezer
    Sad that Beck and Nirvana weren't good However, I saw Weezer a couple of years ago and had lot of fun honestly. Very enjoyable

Jerry Jeff Walker at TX A&M in 1977. He was late and drunk. Pretty much turned me off of concerts. I can't think of any in a concert type atmosphere that I've seen since. I do like dancehalls where you can dance as well as listen to the music.

Ozzie Osborne, somewhere around 1980. I went directly from a moot court argument to the concert so I was dressed in a suit. I think everyone thought I was a narc. Ozzie was dressed in a pair of skin tight leather pants and no shirt. His belly was hanging over his pants. Not a pretty sight. He was so loud my hearing was impaired for weeks afterward. I did get a cool T shirt though. The things we do for love.

Lollapalooza 94. The vendors ran out of water (we couldn't bring in our own, natch), so my sister and I begged some ice cubes off of them and ended up sitting under a shade tree noshing on ice cubes in the 90 ++++ degree heat.

It was then that I swore off big corporate -sponsored moneygrab festivals.

Insane Clown Posse. They were on one of our labels, and probably the only time I was ever uncomfortable at a show. Entertaining, to say the least, but bizarre!

My friends and I were the only people at a YumYum show. So, they told us to pull some chairs up, prop our feet on the stage, and they played to us all night. Pure power pop, no noise, no smokers, no line at the bar, chatty band- what could be better!

Also, I was beyond bored at Tori Amos. I guess I'm just used to rock shows.

I saw Dylan yrs ago...it was horrible and I walked out.

I too saw Insane Clown Posse. By the end I was not impressed and was drenched in soda pop. Even at 15 I don't know why I went, (I think just because some friends were going).

Bloodhound Gang sucked too. It was before the "Hooray for Boobies" album came out so while I knew they were rude/funny, I was not expecting the band to be yelling "show your tits" throughout the performance. Blech.

And I saw the Violent Femmes in 1999, my friend and I were both disappointed. Too bad, I like their albums.

Bands that I have seen multiple times and never been disappointed: Green Day, Marilyn Manson, the Queers and Joan Jett.

To the poster who saw Nirvana and Hole- even though the shows you saw weren't great, I'm jealous.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Harry Chapin.. UGH at a college! AWFUL!!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

I love bob Dylan and van Morrison ....I have seen them both a few times and can tell you depending on the show they were the best and the worst shows I have seen
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

This thread sure is bringing back a lot of fond memories. I cant remember a bad concert, maybe Stevie Nicks late '80's. The sound was awful, and she spent the better part of the night backstage doing costume changes.

To S and S, Molly Hatchet! Poor you
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The concert went on and on and on. I got tired of seeing guys with long blonde hair flipping their hair around.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The concert went on and on and on. I got tired of seeing guys with long blonde hair flipping their hair around.
    DING! fries are done
    DING fries are done
    Which is worse, TSO or Molly Hatchet?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNAfSENE68
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by terasa View Post

-From long ago:
    -Beck. Not so great.
    -Weezer
    Weezer? Really? You must have caught them on a bad night. I've seen them twice, and both times they were high energy, fun shows.