The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Weirdest/worst concerts you sat through?

Mine are mostly only bad because I only knew a couple of songs while everyone else was singing and high-fiving to everything else.

Pure Prairie League Va Tech 1979. The only song I knew was Amie

Howard Jones - 1988ish

Harry Chapin's brothers. Dont ask. They also did Jim Croce songs.

Saw Bob Dylan a couple of months ago - DH has always been a huge fan and my brother was able to get tickets for a group of us in a box at the Verizon Center. Thank God we had the perks of the box...the concert was horrible. I didn't recognize a single song he did. Poor DH was so disappointed!

Ben Harper & Jack Johnson were disappointingly awful. No Doubt was also atrociously bad live (and yeah, I think I was in 7th grade when I saw them, and still thought they were terrible).
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

My wonderful husband took me out to see Moody Blues when we were dating. I'm sure it was a good concert, but I really don't care for the Moody Blues. Not one hairy little bit. I had a terrible time. Good thing the company was good.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Tim McGraw at Mohegan Sun Arena in CT about 5 or so years ago. He was drunk. Kept leaving the stage (to vomit, we found out later), messed up lyrics, was clearly NOT wanting to be there. Kept saying how long the tour was, and he wanted to be home. It was one of the last dates of a long tour...

Very expensive tickets...we were pi*sed.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    My wonderful husband took me out to see Moody Blues when we were dating. I'm sure it was a good concert, but I really don't care for the Moody Blues. Not one hairy little bit. I had a terrible time. Good thing the company was good.
    Gah - cant imagine having to sit through a whole concert. Knights in white satin---aaaargh and blech

3 members found this post helpful.

i saw warren zevon open for the dead at santa barbara 1978. he was very drunk and shouting at the deadheads that we were to stoned to like good music. the hells angels were guarding the stage and they seemed to be getting mad. he eventually left the stage and the dead played.

oh yeah, on the way to the concert we were in our vw micro bus and we were in traffic with a lot of hells angels, including a family in a vw bug convertable--dad was driving wearing his colours and mom and the babies had their own matching duds. it was creepy and cute at the same time,lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

Paula Abdul. Late 80's when she had her first "hit".

Second date with someone who was too dumb to realize Paula was lip syncing.

Agree that Bob Dylan can put on a terrible concert. Luckily, Willie Nelson was with him and that helped a lot. Alannis Morriset (sp?) put on a gawd-awful concert last year at the Ryman in Nashville. Positively the worst concert I have ever attended.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Phish. It was fine until intermission, when it started downpouring--sheets and sheets of cold rain. So everybody is standing there shivering, but we figured we'd warm up once they came back and played something to dance to. Instead, they did a twenty goddamn minute long rambling jazz improv. We left.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Faith Hill/Tim McGraw concert a few years back. She was positively screaming into the mic the whole night. When Tim had his solo part of the show, the band drowned him out...

Madonna was another HUGE disappointment! No one is good enough to make people wait 2 hours past advertised start time for a dj to spin crappy music for 35 minutes, then take another 40 to clear the stage before finally putting in a half-a@#$d peformance, complete with profanity... We all get it, she likes to be "controversial"
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    Ben Harper & Jack Johnson were disappointingly awful. No Doubt was also atrociously bad live (and yeah, I think I was in 7th grade when I saw them, and still thought they were terrible).
    BEN HARPER was bad? I saw him when we premiered a movie at the Cocoa Beach Playhouse and he was simply awesome. He and CJ Nelson (a surfer) did a couple of duets, and even CJ was pretty good for a non-pro. But I loved Ben, and he was such a nice guy - very down to earth and sweet. This was before he got famous (actually, it was back when Jack was still surfing pro, although he wasn't there). Sigh, another good memory dashed.

Mine was the Beach Boys at the Cocoa Beach Pier a couple of winters ago in March. Now this is Florida, and it never gets that cold, right? Well, this winter it did. It was like 20 degrees and SLEETING! I've never been so cold in my life, even when I lived in MAINE (well, in Maine I would have had more sense than to go out in that weather). The BB were ok, but you could tell that they were just dying up there even though they had big oil heaters going - couldn't exactly play in mukluks and gloves, could they?

In the audience (it was a pretty small venue - they had just roped off a section of beach) we all huddled together. I had dressed pretty warmly (I still have all my Maine duds because I go up there quite a bit) but I was still really cold.

I want to add: any straight-edge hardcore band. Just because those were the worst concerts to bartend--all teenagers buying bottled water and not tipping, and my eardrums still almost blew out.

I also had to bartend for a Molly Hatchet concert that was pretty godawful, with an audience that was generally equally godawful.

I went with a friend to "a concert" and it turned out to be Taylor Swift. My friend was so excited, but she left disappointed while I left with my ears bleeding.

1 members found this post helpful.

I went to a Theramin concert once. Key point: "once". lol.

Some kind of Phillip Glass thing at college. Dude, why?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Kiss. I left after the fourth song. Thank goodness the tickets were free. Followed closely by Rush - I am not making this up, I fell asleep.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Weirdly enough, Elton John/Billy Joel at one of the huge sports arenas near me. The acoustics were horrid, they were drowned out by the band for the entire night. Now I know never to go to a show there again!

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I went to a Theramin concert once. Key point: "once". lol.
    My husband is an experimental composer. I have heard so. many. theramins. That's nothing compared to the circuit-bent Speak 'n' Spells and so on...