The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Off Topic Forum

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • OT Day's a clear and present danger to COTH, not relevant to horsey concerns

1 0.57%
  • OT Day is a distraction, but necessary to accommodate those who feel the need from time to time.

13 7.47%
  • OT Day is a good idea but overdone because it detracts from focus on horses and riding.

3 1.72%
  • OT as it exists right now is just right.

65 37.36%
  • OT Day is too infrequent to allow the COTH community to discuss things not riding-involved.

4 2.30%
  • OT Day should be OT week at least, to promote COTH community interaction on non riding topics.

14 8.05%
  • OT almost always enhances COTH communication thus part of COTH's mission or horsey participation

16 9.20%
  • Should be a permanent OT Forum, 24/7/365.

58 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't think it should be added as a 24/7/365 feature because I fear it would take over COTH and detract from COTH's horsey focus. I can see it growing and growing and completely taking over.

But I do strongly believe it enhances COTH and furthers the mission of communication among COTHers.

And I can't believe I accidently voted for the wrong choice--I meant to click in the "enhances communication and mission" choice but just plain goofed.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I like OT just the way it is.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    The poll isn't exactly bias free, judging by the wording of the available responses. Not so sure how valuable those poll results are..

Rarely, if ever, is an opinion poll free of a directional bias; what is supposed to be a sampling of view points usually is the precursor of changing people's view into a new direction that supports the intent of either the pollster or the financier of the poll
    Last edited by clanter; Feb. 22, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it would be OK to have it on a full time basis. It would decrease in popularity in a while, and that would be fine because it would still be there if someone needed quick opinions or thoughts.

However, if the powers that be thought that was too much, then it would be nice to have it on a regular basis, like Saturday, Sunday and Monday (for those that only post from work). Then, at least, we would know that we would be able to post our topic soon.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I voted all the time, MAny topic specific forums have an off topic section all the time. We all seem to do really well with off topic, and I agree what someone said it enhances relations with all.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

full time! Sometimes there are things I really want to ask on OT day...but it is too far away and then I forget or the time has passed.

I didn't vote because I think OT day either way is fine and everyone will keep adapting to whatever is out there, whatever way it fits them best.

We know what OT is as of now, we don't know what OT would be as a permanent forum.
    So, hard to vote, my crystal ball is too fuzzy to pick.

I voted for all the time.
    I don't see how it would be a "threat" or "endanger" COTH.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Default Not every day

That is why it is special! I am fine with several days, but I think it would lose its special place if it was everyday.
    Another killer of threads

I think OT day is very good for COTH traffic. It draws way more people who will check out the horsey forums more regularly.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I think OT day is very good for COTH traffic. It draws way more people who will check out the horsey forums more regularly.
    Why would someone just drawn in for "OT Day" check out the horsey forums more regularly? They either regularly do or they don't. Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Why would someone just drawn in for "OT Day" check out the horsey forums more regularly? They either regularly do or they don't. Doesn't make sense.
    Maybe because they like to read all that OT day brings out?

The every day COTH stuff may get old after a while, not take long to read thru to see if there is anything of interest, so less participation.

OT is so different and new and interesting, which it may not be quite so much if a regular forum, but who knows.

I'm not so sure that drawing more people in through the OT forum sounds like a good idea...just thinking of some of the google searches that might bring folks over - yikes. But I suppose the powers that be might like it as it would increase traffic and thus ad revenue. So those of you with a burning desire for 24/7 OT, maybe that is a line you should take.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I'm not so sure that drawing more people in through the OT forum sounds like a good idea...just thinking of some of the google searches that might bring folks over - yikes. But I suppose the powers that be might like it as it would increase traffic and thus ad revenue. So those of you with a burning desire for 24/7 OT, maybe that is a line you should take.
    Revenue may be at the heart of the question;

The board has 63,333 members with less than 9% active (Active Members:5,335)

Other web sites, even those horse related, have at least one if not more OT forums.
    There seems to be activity in all of them, the horse specific ones and the OT ones.

My guess would be, the larger the circle of interest you can draw from and an OT forum would do that for some, the more interest in any one web site you get and that means more advertising revenue.

Would that detract of what COTH forums are now and how, or add to them?
    I dunno.