The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TV Reporters and Their Stupid Comments, Ugh!

If I hear one more reporter or weather "person" say, "The snow started falling from the sky around daybreak"...I think I'm gonna scream. So, where else does the snow fall from?

On one news station yesterday (in CT), the reporter stated, "The mayor of Bridgeport will be asking the Federal Government for funds to pay for the massive snow cleanup. That way no taxpayers will be impacted"...WTF? And here I thought the taxes we pay are used for gov't services....silly me!

3 members found this post helpful.

The ones I hate are the "how does that make you feel" questions asked of relatives / neighbors after a death.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

4 members found this post helpful.

One of my favorites was an on-the-scene reporter covering a robbery. He described the suspect as "a white Caucasian male".

I also hate the cutesy phrases the weather forecasters have adopted instead of just telling it like it is. No longer do we have snow or sleet - it's a "winter weather event".

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I also hate the cutesy phrases the weather forecasters have adopted instead of just telling it like it is. No longer do we have snow or sleet - it's a "winter weather event".
    My dad enjoys "wintry mix".

1 members found this post helpful.

And the media keeps wondering why they're laughed at so much.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Being a weatherman is the only job where you can be wrong more than you are accurate and you get to keep your job and people praise you for it.

Don't knock being a meteorologist! Its a tough field, with a lot of physics and math background. I did forecasting for a while in college and its incredibly difficult to get a forecast absolutely correct. The computer models are only so good because they can't quite reproduce the environment exactly. I went away from forecasting after my internship. The computer did everything and I didn't have enough time to really make any adjustments because of the workload.

And just a note about TV meteorologists, most of them went to college for it. There are still some out there who are just weathermen but if they have the meteorologist title, they earned it.

6 members found this post helpful.

Sorry I used the wrong term.
    I am sure lots of stuff goes into what they say, that does not make them more accurate though.
    It would be different if they would say something that gave a hint that they were basically guessing but no. They proclaim bad weather, schools close in advance, all things cancelled, not a flake of snow.
    Or they say freezing rain so I leave he horses in, no rain. They say it is going to be clear all day and it ends up raining all day.

The media has become even more dramatic with the weather.
    Like we have never seen huge snow storms before. LMAO~ They actually said falling from the sky???
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki
    I am sure lots of stuff goes into what they say, that does not make them more accurate though.
    It would be different if they would say something that gave a hint that they were basically guessing but no. They proclaim bad weather, schools close in advance, all things cancelled, not a flake of snow.
    Or they say freezing rain so I leave he horses in, no rain. They say it is going to be clear all day and it ends up raining all day.
    Geez, it's a forecast, not a promise. Don't you think they do the best they can? Stop for a minute and think about all the times the've been right.

Now, as for stupid comments, one that drives me nuts is "The accident happened around 4pm this afternoon." As opposed to what? 4pm this morning? Or maybe 4am this afternoon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

5 members found this post helpful.

Living in Florida my favorite is the hurricane predictions. The thing will be way the heck over by Africa and they will draw an arrow aiming it directly into Orlando. No matter where it is, the arrow will aim a direct hit. And "hunker down" is a favorite. "We all need to hunker down" and always said very dramatically. And they wonder why nobody pays attention anymore. Go figure.

I usually tune in really quick to check the weather before I leave for work, and there is one station I don't even bother with. The weatherman there goes on and on about some crap or another and you have to listen to his inane chatter until he gets around to giving the weather report. He thinks he's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Now, as for stupid comments, one that drives me nuts is "The accident happened around 4pm this afternoon."

As opposed to 4:00 p.m. yesterday, last Tuesday, or the past weekend. Not everything gets reported the same day, so that peeve isn't really relevant.

You have to remember that TV panders to the lowest common denominator, so by its very nature has to be redundant.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Geez, it's a forecast, not a promise. Don't you think they do the best they can? Stop for a minute and think about all the times the've been right.
    SillyHorse is right. Its a forecast. And the TV guys only have a limited amount of time to get the info out. The environment is constantly changing. So one variable (such as wind direction) can change and a whole different scenario plays out. That's why we have actual observations.

Someone mentioned hurricane forecasts, and they've improved leaps and bounds compared to 10 years ago. And they're continually trying to improve. Its constantly a work in progress.

Regarding stupid comments, I've given up on TV news for that exact reason. Way too many stupid things being said.

Last blizzard I was about to make up a drinking game... every time they said THUNDERSNOW, take a shot. Seriously, they said THUNDERSNOW like it was the damn apocalypse every 10 seconds.

Not a reporter, but my absolute MOST favorite interview was Johnny Carson interviewing Quinn Cummings shortly after The Goodbye Girl opened. He asked so many stupid questions she finally started responding as though to a very slow child. "Do you want to get married?" "I'm 10. I haven't thought about it." And after about the sixth time he 'confirmed' (different words, same question) that TGG was her first movie, she sat up, took a DEEEEP breath, turned to look directly at him and said, very slowly, "This is my first movie. I have been in some TV ads. This is my first movie." JC had to go to break -obviously unplanned. He didn't know what to do with her. I had to take a 'comfort' break of my own, as I was rolling on the floor with tears streaming down my face.

The best weather report? Fall '69, Lexington, KY - evening news/ weather: "There's a chance of showers." It was raining so hard that you couldn't see the neighbor's house which was so close we could have shaken hands from our windows! They heard about that one - I think the phones rang off the hook!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

One of my FB friends posted this. Perfect description of North Dakota weather (I'm in MN, but same difference.) Hopefully the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=237974869596198

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It would be different if they would say something that gave a hint that they were basically guessing but no.
    When I lived in Anchorage, there was a weather guy who called himself the Weather Guesser. I loved the fact that he admitted it and, because of that title, his was the weather forecast I wacthed.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
    One of my FB friends posted this. Perfect description of North Dakota weather (I'm in MN, but same difference.) Hopefully the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=237974869596198

REALLY??? roflmao!!!

But I do have to say, when you are on the air day after day, you have to phrase things differently...or try to....
    I love race announcers....or other sports casters...it always seems to boil down to 'the one crossing the finish line first' or 'the team with the most points' will win this one.... like, really? noooo, you must have that one wrong...

Or the storm coverage...seems like they always send the low man out on location... hanging onto a lamp post, blowing in the wind and rain 'Yes James, it is very windy and rainy out her, now that Storm Sandrina is moving in'

Good grief... don't they have years of archive footing by now?! A palm tree bending over in the wind, we get it, it's a storm! (and unless you own the building, most people can't recognize the pile of rubble at the corner, even if they drive by it on a daily basis)

And the cheerful to somber change....looking into a different camera always cracks me up....including the dramatic emphasis....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sabino, that is a great clip.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    When I lived in Anchorage, there was a weather guy who called himself the Weather Guesser. I loved the fact that he admitted it and, because of that title, his was the weather forecast I wacthed.
    I think that weather guy! Yes, weather guesser is perfect.

I loved the national news report yesterday evening from Topeka, KS. There was a newsperson in the middle of the city street (no traffic around) talking about the horrible blizzard conditions... geez, the snow didn't even come up to the top of her mid-calf boots! Some people need to spend some time in Central NY and Northern PA where a major snowfall is measured in FEET!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.