The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    The two things that immediately caught my eye are the jamming(proximal displacement) of the coronary band and the lack of supplemental traction devices on the shoes.
    He does have the large nailheads (that extend below the surface of the shoe) and a very small about of borium on the heels. Our barn doesn't turn out horses with studs.

For jamming, my farrier will usually remove a bit of hoof distal to it to reduce pressure -- would that be the right way to address it?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    He does have the large nailheads (that extend below the surface of the shoe) and a very small about of borium on the heels. Our barn doesn't turn out horses with studs.
    OK, it just wasn't apparent in the photo.

For jamming, my farrier will usually remove a bit of hoof distal to it to reduce pressure -- would that be the right way to address it?
    Its one way to do it and its something that is routinely done. My preference, when working in a barn where I will be working on several horses is to get the horse with the jamming trimmed first. I then put him back in his stall and work on other horses that don't have that issue. This allows the wall to settle for several hours. Then, at the end of the day, I get the first horse back out to finish up. I findd that usually I have to retrim the affected hoof/hooves because the wall will have droppedto a normal or close to normal orientation and that excess wall will have to be removed. In instances where the horse is top be shod and the wall has not fully settled, the choices are to leave the horse barefoot for a few days
    (or longer) or to shoe the horse but float the wall where further settling is necessary. In that instance, I often/usually add supplemental frog/sole support to better transfer weight/load bearing away from the affected area and onto other, non-affected structures of the hoof.

Thanks Rick! Great idea -- I will ask my farrier to try the trim-and-wait approach on his next visit. I'm sure Baxter will be delighted to take in a little lunch between sessions.

While we’re on this subject, I might as well toss in some photos of my own. The Original Post photos remind me of what happens with my pony Hoover. We have no farriers in central Haiti, 6 months of near-absolute dry season, and very gravel and rock-heavy roads and trails to ride on. I had to learn to trim, but I couldn’t take time off to do more than a 1 week course. So naturally, when I tried to ‘take only the sole and frog that have to come off’ to give Hoover as much protection as possible, his feet started resembling the OP pix.

I did some correcting last weekend. Today I did more on his bars, frogs, and heels but got dizzy from the flu before I could bevel or rocker anything. Hoover’s left front (the more upright) drives me crazy. From the front view I’m pretty sure he’s still lateral-high, but the texture in the heel buttress when I trim suggests he’s if anything lateral low. Frog on that foot wants to squish to the lateral side. It seems like I find the live sole plane, but clearly I’m misreading something.

He still has a ton of very hard sole all around the tip of P3 on all 4 feet, which seems useful to a point but leads to those long toes. I’m not good at figuring out when rock hard sole in front passes from protective to being too much of a good thing. Ditto for frogs. Can anyone tell from these pictures if I’m at least on the right track with this guy?

PS he just spent 15 minutes playing cutting horse with his three sheep buddies, running and bucking and generally suggesting that his feet feel OK post-trim.

Hoover:

All 4 from the front:

Left front from the front
    :

LF from the side:

LF sole:
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

HiH,
    For now, I think that all you should do is bring those feet forward and rasp a rocker/bevel in at the toe from the top. It looks as though the hinds need it as much, if not more, than the fronts.

Rick, thanks! Definitely, his hinds are even worse than his fronts about building up rock-hard sole between the toe and the frog tip - and me letting his toes run long as a result. Tomorrow morning when the world isn't turning black and green on me, I'll get the rasp back out and bevel/rocker.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog