The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who taught you to dig animals?

Do you think you were born that way, or did someone teach you to appreciate the animal types?

Give credit to the folks who opened up the great world of loving animals to you!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

They tell me I was born like that.
    Courtesy of my grandfather's genes, who also was a confirmed horse nut.

Once, he came home with a shiny new horse, yelled for Grandma to come look at the wonderful new addition and when she was slow coming out, he walked the horse right into the farm kitchen and paraded it proudly for her all around the kitchen table.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe a bit of both, for me! I'm more comfortable around animals and appreciate their company more than I do the company of most people (don't get me wrong, I do like people!).

I've always had dogs growing up, and I think my interest in horses sparked when I was somewhere in the 3 - 5 year old region. Probably when I got a horse stuffy for my birthday and got to go on a lead line ride. My parents only have themselves to blame.

I think I've always loved animals, but my Dad did, too, and I don't doubt that I learned a great deal about how to appreciate and care for them from him.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Nobody.

I come from a long line of city dwellers and I'm the only one who's ever showed an interest in horses much less actually having the privilege and thrill of owning one.

Has to be in my DNA because my parents were scared silly of the beasts and my sisters think I'm nuts. Ex-husband wasn't thrilled either, but I took care of that problem

I think I was born with the capacity to relate to 'em. My mom says that I could always do non-verbal communication.

Also, I never saw either of my parents mistreat an animal. My father was fond of them and I think seeing the man in my life be kind to animals made a special impression.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Born this way! My mother says I started talking about horses as soon as I could talk.

I don't think I was ever taught...we didn't have pets when we were tiny kids, but I WANTED one and got one as soon as possible (and built up from there--fish to birds to dogs and ponies and all.)

I was born this way. My first dream that I remember was that I had a horse living in our backyard. I remember waking up and realizing that it was not real...I felt really sad.I also read pony stories over and over when I was little and begged my mother for a horse. I got my first cat when I was 7 after a school visit to the shelter that is also a very clear memory for me.

My family was not animal friendly but I was. I got my first horse at 31 and I will likely always have a horse in my life. However, no person helped me with animals.

Bluey-I love your story.

My Grandfather was a horseman, and he bought a pony for my sisters and I. I don't know how happy my parents were about that! We always seemed to have dogs and cats growing up...my middle sister seemed to attract stray dogs and we always had a succession of them. She still loves the dogs and has two labs...me I'm a cat lover (and horses of course)

From my parents. My mom had a horse when I was young and it seemed only natural that I'd get into horses, too. We always had a dog and some kind of furry, pocket-pet type animal when I was a child. I couldn't imagine not having pets. I've always thought that a home isn't right without a furry friend to talk to

I was definitely born this way...my mom said my first word was "horse". Although no one in my immediate family was a horse person, I did have two aunts that later became horsewomen.

A study of our family tree indicates that we came from a long line of French and British horse thieves, so I guess that explains a lot.

I was definitely born that way, but mom was as much an animal lover as I am. My mom rode as a kid but gave it up for college and kids. My aunt bought me a stuffed horse when I was 6 months old and that was the beginning of then end. I begged my parents for lessons everyday starting at about 2yo. They finally caved in when I was 3.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Another one born this way. Parents grew up poor on a farm and animals were just something that lived in the yard and/or provided you food. We had pets when I was growing up but they didn't live long due to lack of proper care until I was old enough to realize there was a better way to do it. For the most part, my siblings have continued that abysmal cycle.

As for horses, my mother, to her dying day, was convinced it was something I'd eventually outgrow. She was mortified by my "cantering" around the yard, holding imaginary reins, for all the neighbors to see.

I was born this way! There is not a single person in my whole family that likes horses. They have no idea where it came from. My parents say that I had always loved them and wanted to be with them. They finally gave up and got me lessons starting at 5 yr old. Of course with the thought that I would fall off, get bit, stepped on , run away with or discover boys and non horsey friends then I would be cured of this horse thing. haha I showed them!!!!

My dad loves dogs and cats so I got that part from him.

Funny to see so many (just like me!) that were born this way!

I think I was born this way. My dad likes dogs (and always has one faithful companion), but otherwise I come from a “non-animal” family.

Yet – I have been told, from a VERY early age I have been animal obsessed. My first “word” (well a made up non word!) was for horse – I would point at horses and say it over and over. I always had pets, dog, cats, rodents, fish – and once I turned 8, a horse. I have been drawn to animals for as long as remember, and have a good rapport with them.

My Dad says its genetic! (but skipped him, he is into mechanical things). My uncle who I hardly knew (lived across the country) was into horses, his daughter is into horses….. and the weird thing, my dad had a daughter which he gave up for adoption many decades ago – he caught up with her as an adult, and she too, is into horses and dogs (actually is an eventer, just like me!)

So, my father, the brother of a horsemen, had two daughters, raised in opposite ends of the country, by different families, who both grew up to event horses.

Born this way. Grown ups just thought I was weird and treated me as such.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

My Mom. She is amazing with animals. She had me on a horse as soon as I was speaking sentences. She quite often tells me her biggest regret was becoming a Nurse instead of a veterinarian. She would have been a good vet, too...
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

My mother. She loves them all, and they all love her right back. She has a real way with them, even my DH's nasty, aggressive, formerly abused, ACD took to my mother on first meeting (waaay back when we were dating). The only person that dog ever accepted on sight and smell alone.

But, my Mom never had an opportunity to have animals in her life as a child, as she was an Army brat and constantly moving. Plus, her parents did not really like animals.

Once she was married, with kids and in the suburbs, it was animal central (she blamed it on me to my father ). At one point, we had two horses, three dogs, four cats, 12 gerbils, several tanks full of fish, a bunch of bunnies, a couple of birds, some lizards, some bugs...this for a woman who had never had an animal before in her life. She used to volunteer at the elementary schools and she'd go pick up a bunch of snakes from a conservation organization and drive them around to all the schools to show the kids. I remember having bags of snakes in the car while running errands .

And, she and I ran a pet sitting service out of the house (to pay for the horses, my father wasn't impressed with the expense)...sometimes there were as many as a dozen dogs living with us while their owners were on vacation.

My Mom is awesome and she's responsible for my love of animals, but the one who REALLY inherited the "animal gene" is my 10 year old son. He's got 10 millipedes in his room that he is caring for, intensely. He worries about them like we worry about horses, dogs and cats. I have a hard time loving the invertebrates, but he is totally into it. My Mom had the capacity to love the ugly, weird, don't really have a brain or personality type "animals" and DS10 got it from her.

Dad was a dog guy, but my Mom always says I must have gotten a horse gene from my Irish & British heritage. No relatives in recent history were horse people.

I saw the born to it this summer when I had a mare at a celtic festival. She was 6-7 months and everytime dad brought her around she grinned and reached to pet the mare and cry when turned away from the mare. He said since 3 months anytime she sees a horse or dog she grins and wants to touch it. Parents have no exp. with horse. I told him to start a pony fund now, it will only get worse
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook