The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default White Line Disease Treatment

Has anyone used CleanTrax or White Lightning while the horse was shod? Or did you always have the foot unshod while applying the treatment?

While we are at it- CleanTrax or White Lightning?

I've used White Lightening many times over the years, always on unshod hooves. It's good stuff.

I don't know abou Clean Trax, but White Lightning is suggested to be used on bare hooves. It will cause oxidation on the shoes...they don't say you can't use it with shod hooves, though...
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I've used Clean Trax but heard good things about both. Clean Trax will also I think cause oxidation on the shoes - I have always used it barefoot although it seems like maybe one time we used it with shoes on that were near the end of the cycle with perfectly fine results. Can't swear to it, though, that's going back a few years.

I've had very good luck with Clean Trax.

I had incredible results with just 1 use of Clean Trax! My farrier was impressed! Went from possibly needed resection, to completely cured. Shoes were pulled for treatment, I figure if that's what they recommend, why do anything to interfere with the treatment?
    Cindy

Love CleanTrax. Take the time, pull the shoes, and do it right. It's well worth the inconvenience.

I've never used the White Lightning myself so I don't know how good it is.

Any idea what can be done with shoes on?? I'm with Lion1024 I have a horse that I can't pull his shoes but we suspect he might have WLD or something along those lines going on but he is also recovering from founder so it might just be what is expected at this point.

Can you work with the farrier? If the farrier is doing multiple horses, have him pull your horse's shoes, trim, then have him go off and do other horses while you soak in Clean Trax. After he's done with the others and you're finished soaking, he puts shoes back on.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Can you work with the farrier? If the farrier is doing multiple horses, have him pull your horse's shoes, trim, then have him go off and do other horses while you soak in Clean Trax. After he's done with the others and you're finished soaking, he puts shoes back on.
    Sounds like the best idea if you can't leave the shoes off.

That is a good idea unfortunately my horse is the only one in the barn that sees a certain farrier. I could always pull them myself before he gets there and treat but is it more effective to treat after freshly trimmed?

If not are there any other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    That is a good idea unfortunately my horse is the only one in the barn that sees a certain farrier. I could always pull them myself before he gets there and treat but is it more effective to treat after freshly trimmed?

If not are there any other options?
    My horse was not freshly trimmed before I soaked him. The way the stuff works it shouldn't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    My horse was not freshly trimmed before I soaked him. The way the stuff works it shouldn't make any difference.
    Good to know! Shocking that there isn't something that you can use with the shoes on I know everyone says white lightening etc will oxidize shoes but how much damage will it do to the shoes if you do it once?

I assume the reason you want to soak a shod horse is so that your farrier does not have to stand there waiting to put the shoes back on the horse while you soak the feet. I suggest that if you are going to soak a shod horse with a chloride product like white lightning, clean trax, or oxine, that you should do it a few hours or perhaps the evening before your next farrier appointment. That way if it does cause any problems problems (loosen nails most likely) it doesn't matter because the shoes are going to be pulled and reset/replaced in a very short time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    I assume the reason you want to soak a shod horse is so that your farrier does not have to stand there waiting to put the shoes back on the horse while you soak the feet. I suggest that if you are going to soak a shod horse with a chloride product like white lightning, clean trax, or oxine, that you should do it a few hours or perhaps the evening before your next farrier appointment. That way if it does cause any problems problems (loosen nails most likely) it doesn't matter because the shoes are going to be pulled and reset/replaced in a very short time anyway.
    To be honest it was just something that came up toward the end of the appointment for us and whether it was truly WLD or just crappy feet still growing out post-founder. Does it usually only take one treatment with white lightening or something similar to rid WLD? Thanks!

Having a poor laminar connection post founder is always going to present a problem for anaerobic infections. With horses like this I use oxine about every 3rd appointment and Durasole at every appointment in between.

I no longer soak the foot. Instead I mix the oxine/vinegar in a Dixie cup and pour it full strength into the separated infected area around the white line immediately following the trim. A spoon full - Just enough to get the area wet. Then I come back in 5 minutes and pour a little more in there. The idea is to keep the area wet with the mixture for 20 minutes. If you apply it as you trim each hoof, then by the time you get all 4 feet trimmed, drink a cup of coffee, and get the shoes ready to nail up your first foot is pretty much ready for a shoe.

IME it works better than soaking due to using the product full strength and is is much easier than keeping the horses foot in a bucket or boot - also you can treat all 4 feet at the same time using a very small amount of liquid - about a teaspoon per hoof per application.

I have used White Lightning on shod feet with good results. There was some oxidation on the underside of the shoe (hoof side) but it was not significant, and really no more than you'd see after a show season with multiple baths.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I've used Clean Trax on shod feet with no problems. If there was any oxidation it was minimal.

Clean Trax is awesome! I used WL on a pony but it took more treatments than CT to get it under control.