The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I saw Jimi Hendrix too, I can't remember what year it was, 1967??
    The Doors
    Jefferson Airplane
    Lots of concerts over the years.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Van Halen at the Goldenwest Ballroom, before they were signed.
    <cough> isn't there more of a story here, Coreene?
    or am I making things up about your life?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    The Beatles, Atlanta Stadium, 1965.

No other can compare.

I have met only two other people in my life who ever saw the Fab Four in concert.
    I wish, wellspotted, I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    I saw BRUCE as a youngster....at a GYM at Georgetown....we were fans from the BEGINNING.
    But, years later....living outside DC, I lived a dream of a local DC radio station's promo. They offered a big promotion call in, flights included of airfare, tickets, the whole shibang. My husband was overseas at the time the radio call came in, (yes, I have the tape of my reaction) telling me I'd WON........we were off to Paris France...to see Bruce and the E street band outdoors in a gorgeous park, HUGE full moon.....................we flew out of Dulles, stayed in Paris, went on the Baton Mouche, did the Lourve, did all the cafes, had a BALL....but saw Bruce amidst so many Parisians singing phonetically and loving the man, the band, and the music. WHAT a moment. One of my favorites from the night: Cadillac Ranch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIomLMfAli8

here's the amazing Thunder Road...from the same show showing the park, the crowd I was out there among that night.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLsE-HufG8
    What a great memory!
    and Thunder Road, one of my favourite Bruce songs.
    Here he is, little and skinny....
    "you ain't a beauty, but, hey, who is?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngiJUNdsu0

love him.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would say my three favorites were the Dead in '82 (which was also my first concert, in 9th grade, thanks mom & dad) Stevie Ray Vaugh as part of a bluesfest was AMAZING and the benefit concert that put James Taylor and Carly Simon on stage together for the first (and last) time in a million years...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I saw Jimi Hendrix too, I can't remember what year it was, 1967??
    The Doors
    Jefferson Airplane
    Lots of concerts over the years.
    I saw Jefferson Airplane when I was in college. It wasn't that great a concert because Gracie was so stoned she could hardly sing a note.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

QUEEN 1980, When Freddie was still alive! Wings Stadium Kalamazoo, Michigan
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I have seen The Buckinghams, Neil Diamond, ZZ Top, John Mellencamp, Fleetwood Mac, 3 Dog Night, Phil Collins, Bruce aka "The Boss" at his final concert of his "Born in the USA" tour, at the Meadowlands in '86, Charlie Daniels Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Sam Bush and Mark Knoppler.

My favorites: Mark Knoppler, Phil Collins, Sam Bush, CDB, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Bruce. Those folks know how to play to the audience and know how to put on a great concert.

I love Fleetwood Mac's records, but they were too rock n roll, loud in concert. My DH loved them!

How do you know when you have outgrown going to rock n roll concerts? When you have to search through your purse to find earplugs to block out the noise!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Also saw Chris Isaak there, which was awesome--he's such a fabulous performer. When he came through the crowd close enough for me to grope (I restrained myself), I nearly swooned. (;
    Yeah. Been there. He passed through the row in front of my the second time I saw him. I could have reached out and touched his shiny jacket if I'd wanted to be THAT fan. Great, great performer, and really knows how to play up the crowd. He's especially fun at Wolftrap since he walks around, and will go out into the lawn seating.

I'm so jealous of those who got to see Queen. How cool.

I don't go to concerts but I would SERIOUSLY have loved to see Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

U2. love them!

1985 I was in 10th grade. Unforgettable Fire Tour, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island NY. It was the first big arena tour for them I think but not wide spread popularity so it felt intimate. An Irish flag was passed up from the back and Bono wore it around his shoulders . I believe it was "40" during the encore and the whole audience was still singing it when the lights came on before everyone filed out. love.

also

1987 12th grade, Joshua Tree Tour Giants Stadium NJ.

couple of years ago much older now , can't remember tour name but at Carter Finley Stadium Raleigh NC. My palms were bruised from clapping so much.

I have been wondering about the title of this thread.
    Guess that in many concerts, people are "seeing" more than "hearing" as an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I don't go to concerts but I would SERIOUSLY have loved to see Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park
    That's one of my fave albums; my dad had it when I was little... I remember not getting the joke about everybody smoking pot, and asking my dad to explain it to me...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

My daughter and I flew to Budapest jut for a Queen plus Paul Rogers concert in 2008. We waited outside all day and did the rush the stage thing - it was all great. I've liked a lot of concerts - small venues are great, too. Went to see The Who last week and then the following day little brother Simon Townshend did a concert at a tiny,tiny venue in Denver. Both were cool. I remember a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert with an opening act of Charlie Daniels when I was in high school and that was cool. We drove to Dallas for the original Crossroads Guitar concert (Eric Clapton's thing) and that was great. I've seen a lot of rock concerts and a lot of great names - a lot of them stand out in one way or another. Queen in Hungary, though, was a really cool few days.
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Bruce Springsteen at Red Rocks Park, Colorado. It was summer, I was 21 and was there with a big group of friends. It started raining and we all huddled under a big piece of plastic. Could barely see Bruce but we heard it all and it was great.

Runner up was The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet at MSG.

Anything at Red Rocks is great - Ringo Starr (also saw him at at tiny venue) Gogol Bordelo/Primus were the most recent except Romney/Ryan lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Volbeat!!

Primus at Red Rocks was a blast too!

And of course, the few Grateful Dead concerts I saw (although those are a bit of a blur.) New Year's show in particular.

Pink Floyd is up there.
    LOL I was there at the Primus/Gogol Bordelo concert with my son and daughter and a bunch of high school boys. My family went for Gogol Bordelo but others were there for Primus - both were great. That was fun! lol
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

Default How do you know when you have outgrown going to rock n roll concerts?

When it becomes to expensive/too much trouble/too hot to go... I think the last big one I went to was Tom Petty. I actually drove 50 miles across town to get in line to buy tickets early in the morning. When they started selling, I was about 15 or so in line, and I could get nothing in the front section. That was due to them selling equally on the phone and online-not fair! If you have the gumption to get up and go get em, I think you should have at least a half hour or so advantage.
    Anyway, the last time T Petty was in town the good tickets were around $150-200. a ticket. I am glad I cannot afford them. I would be crazy to pay that much. That proves I am old!

Edited to add another one I forgot: T-Rex with an opening act of The Doobie Brothers.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    That's one of my fave albums; my dad had it when I was little... I remember not getting the joke about everybody smoking pot, and asking my dad to explain it to me...
    AHHHH yes, the sellers of loose joints....
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Saw them at the Staples center and they were great! Another one of my favorite shows.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

I've been to a lot of shows... lots of contenders.

Neko Case was incredible. It was awesome to realize that she sounds exactly the same live as she does recorded. Incredible voice.

Best concert going experience was at Warped Tour in Buffalo a couple of hundred years ago... Bad Religion was playing one of the last sets, went on late, it had been POURING all day. The place (Lasalle Park) was a disaster. The crowd was maintaining order but tired and grumpy and cold.... when BR finally managed to take the stage, their first full song was "Sorrow", and just as they hit the chorus, just as Greg started belting out "And there will be sorrow no moooooooorrrreeee.....", the rain broke and the sun swept across the lake and across the crowd, the crowd started waking up again and started screaming along. and it was all just AWESOME. Truly epic moment.

The Pixies & Social D both put on excellent, workmanlike shows and were longtime "bucket list" concerts.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit