The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Pink Floyd, hands down.

U2 and Sting were also good, though.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Rolling Stones Cow Palace 1975, I was pretty young but hey it was the 70's. Met a nice med student who treated me well and drove me back to my hotel. I had gone with my brother and he ditched me.

We also do not get many big names where I live, but Sarah Mclachan played at our bowl and it was so great. Loved her !

These are my runners up:
    Hootie and the Blowfish
    The Eagles
    George Strait/Reba
    The Paper Tongues
    Ben Folds

The BEST was hands down Bob Dylan. Saw him in October of 2010 in a smallish venue. Just him and his harmonica. There was none of that talking/joking bs. The man sounds just as amazing now as he did in 1965.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

The Eagles 2002 for my 40th birthday in Birmingham.

Trisha Yearwood at The Fox in Atlanta with an orchestra. Encores of Midnight Train to Georgia and Somewhere Over the Rainbow- pure magic.

Earth Wind and Fire with Chicago at Chastain Park in Atlanta. Dancing in the aisles.

For me, Eric Clapton. Also saw the Who - they put on a really great show. And Social Distortion is always consistently awesome as well (seen them 3x).

Dazednconfused, I've tried to see Social D twice and both times Mike Ness got sick. ): I kinda feel like I'm running out of time on this one...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

1 members found this post helpful.

Emmylou Harris
    Buddy Guy
    Don McLean
    Ray Charles

St. Louis Symphony orchestra, esp. for Carmina Burana.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I saw Ringo Starr and his All Star Band this summer. It was unreal! I'm a massive Beatles fan, so I can easily say seeing him play live was one of the best experiences of my life! I also saw Denny Laine (co-founder of Wings with Paul McCartney, and was also in the Moody Blues) in a really tiny venue, and got to meet him afterwards and he signed one of my Wings records, which was really special.

ooooohhh! I almost forgot to mention Maxwell at VCU in 2002 0r 2003. He is an amazing singer as well as performer. Nice small venue, as well,
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Commander Cody's real name is George Frayne. He actually played piano. Was it possibly Bill-can't remember his name guitarist. His brother who was an artist, did the covers for several of their albums.
    I wore the grooves out of the live album, recorded in Austin at the 'Armadillo World Hdq' which is now where Austin City Limits is filmed I think. They taught me about rockabilly. Funny, back in the 70's they started out about the same time as Asleep at the Wheel, but AATW is much bigger now, just sort of cult like followers.

I LOVE Commander Cody!
    You're right. It was Bill Kirchen FROM Commander Cody. They were a little before my time, I do remember my mom bought us one of their CDs though. She thought it was cool.

My brother ended up playing the drums professionally for a hard core punk band, so I'm not sure Bill had that much influence on him.

Van Halen at the Goldenwest Ballroom, before they were signed.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

The Beatles, Atlanta Stadium, 1965.

No other can compare.

I have met only two other people in my life who ever saw the Fab Four in concert.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I've seen a few great performers with the San Francisco Symphony in the last few years (Bernadette Peters, Idina Menzel, Audra McDonald...) Davies Symphony Hall is just an incredible venue and they're always stunning.

I was lucky enough to see Marvin Hamlisch conduct the NY Pops a few years ago, I'm so grateful to have that memory now.

One of the best, Mozart's Don Giovanni in La Scala, Milan, Italy in the mid 1960's.

Tough question!

It's got to be METALLICA over the years. Amazing band!

Bruuuuce Springsteen.

Pink Floyd. 1977 Animals tour. First concert held in the olympic stadium stadium in Montreal. Before the dome was built. There were huge pigs and things floating into the stadium through the open top. There were 90,000 ppl and most were there a couple days ahead. Tents popped up all over.

My best friend's oldest brother was a DJ at one of Florida's top rock stations during the 60's. We got passes to lots of shows, so I was lucky enough to see many legendary rockers from that time period - The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Hollies, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane (long before they became Jefferson Starship), The Doors, Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin, etc. We often got backstage passes, and/or were invited to parties before/after the shows, so we also got to meet many of those folks. It was fun and glorious for a starry eyed young teeny bopper, but I got pretty freaked out by the free wheelin' use of drugs and alcohol, not to mention was tired of being constantly hit on by stoned or trippin' or drunk guys (thankfully Pat kept us under his protection, so things never really got out of hand). I quit going to the concerts after a few years - was just basically burned out and turned off by the whole scene. I did get talked into going to the 2nd Atlanta Pop Festival - Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers, Procol Harum, Grand Funk Railroad, Ten Years After, Johnny Winter, BB King and Ravi Shankar - that was pretty cool! I also got to see The Allman Brothers play at Piedmont Park back in the day, and saw Queen several times here or there.

There were lots of memorable concerts, but the one who really stands out in my mind was Jimi Hendrix. That guy was surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Bruce at the Meadowlands in '84, the Born In The USA tour, when he was cute and ripped - we Jersey girls swooned!
    Bruce in Toronto, 1978? The Darkness on the Edge of Town tour.
    It was the first time I had seen Bruce - he was incredible, the whole show was incredible - so much energy, so much emotion.
    This was before he was all cleaned up and muscled up, skinny, kind of grungy, but just great.
    I have seen him a number of times since, and he is still great. Such a great writer, musician, performer.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuucce.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!