The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seat Savers ARE Legal for Eventing? Please check my facts, hopes, and dreams.

I have an older Schleese jumping saddle ... that didn't get used much since I'm primarily a dressage rider. As such, I know seat savers are not legal.

However, the jumping saddle is quite uncomfortable to sit in, so I went on a question to check if the eventing rules were different.

When you read the following, does it sound like seat savers are legal for jumping phases in combined tests and horse trials?

Or am I misreading the text?

Link: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2013/13-EV.pdf

"EV115 Saddlery.
    1. EXERCISE AREAS. The following restrictions begin at 3:00 p.m. of the day prior to the start of the entire competition and continue throughout the duration of the event. The following are compulsory: an English type saddle and any form of bridle, including double bridle, snaffle, gag or hackamores. Running martingales with rein stops, Irish martingales, bit guards, boots, bandages, fly shields, nose covers, and seat covers are permitted. Side reins are permitted only while lunging an unmounted horse, as are running reins and chambons. Other martingales, any form of gadget (such as a bearing, running or balancing reins, etc.) and any form of
    blinkers, are forbidden, under penalty of disqualification."

2. DRESSAGE TEST.
    e. Martingales, bit guards, any kind of gadgets (such as bearing, side, running or balancing reins, etc.), reins with any loops or hand attachments, any kind of boots or leg bandages and any form of blinkers, including earmuffs, earplugs, hoods, fly shields, nose covers and seat covers are, under penalty of elimination, strictly forbidden.

3. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST AND JUMPING TEST.
    a. The type of saddlery is optional with the exception of any form of blinkers, which are forbidden.

EV117 Disqualification.
    m. Exercising with improper saddlery, EV115.1.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I really do not know if they are allowed or not – But seriously, how much time is your butt going to be in contact with the seat during XC or stadium? Both rounds are just a few mins long at best, and XC is ridden in a half seat.

Perhaps you can warm up with it, then pull it off?

1 members found this post helpful.

on the rules...they are permitted for warm up but NOT in your dressage test. They are permitted for jumping and xc....but you should just check with a TD to be sure....but don't see why they wouldn't.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks both of you for confirming that I'm reading this right ... New dressage saddle makes it a non-issue for that phase and I don't want to train one way and have to ride another, even if it's only half seat. (Note: this is only for schooling combined tests this year, anyway.)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff