The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help - I need kid feiendly meal ideas!!

I am the Mom of an OCD 11 year old, and a picky 2 year old, and I am going crazy trying to feed them - and me! Going to the store is still pretty depressing - something my husband and I always did together - and I always come back with tons of groceries, and feel like I hardly have anything to eat! Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I LOVE The Sneaky Chef... has made healthy meals so much easier. Both DH and DD are picky about their food and her tricks never fail!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I am the mon of an OCD 11 year old, and a picky 2 year old, and I am going crazy trying to feed them - and me! Going to the store is still pretty depressing - something my husband and I always did together - and I always cone back with tons of groceries, and feel like I hardly have anything to eat! Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    make the kids help you. The food they cooked themselves will taste much better, even if they didn't like it first.

then there are numerous kid friendly cookbooks....nearly all of the TV chefs have one out...

Then I would suggest 'Bento' style decorations. You can do a lot with a plain hot dog to make it look more fun.

of course there are the pitfalls: kid oriented foods vs healthy stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I can direct you to the Paleo thread? http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...he-Paleo-thing

There are some healthy eating ideas in there and if you don't want to avoid the carbs entirely you can always add them on the side. Something new to try and it provides a framework to start off of and a unique path to go down so that it feels forward instead of tweaking that memory. I'm sure you're caught in a little negative feeling loop there. If not Paleo maybe Asian inspired, pick a theme and run with it for a while. I think some structure and new ideas would help.

Mac 'n cheese. Most kids will eat it pretty much on a daily basis and never get tired of it! LOL aigmented bu grapes, carrot sticks, apples, cheerios amd pizza. Usually plain cheese pizza, bit sometimes pepperoni. Chicken tenders and fishsticks. Bribery and threats will get them to eat their green beans or peas. Yogurt. That's pretty much what the menu consists of wjen the grandkids come to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I LOVE The Sneaky Chef... has made healthy meals so much easier. Both DH and DD are picky about their food and her tricks never fail!
    Wow - these sound terrific! Not picky - LOVE veggies - but I'm thinking I may try some of these recipes. AND share....

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I like this trick for picky eaters. Fix whatever you want to fix for a meal. Give them teeny portions of everything, like one pea or one green bean, a teaspoon of potatoes or a bit of meat. They have to eat everything on their plate. After that, they can have as much of any one thing as they like. I'm not a short order cook and my kitchen isn't Burger King, you eat what I fix or go hungry. That said, I do try to fix at least one thing that my daughter likes.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

We are currently fixated with kabobs. DD is 9 and picky, DS is 3 and eats anything that doesn't eat him first. Chunk up some chicken and let it sit in a marinade, we do chutney and a little soy sauce. Thread on soaked skewers or the nice metal ones with any fruit or veggie the kids like. We use pineapple, mango and red pepper chunks. Then you can use a griddle, grill pan or real grill.

Soups are a neat way to go, you can get pretty creative with what goes into chicken stock.

Parenting.com had a bunch of bento box ideas
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Do your kids eat chicken nugget type things? I make my son and his friends "salmon nuggets" and they all love them, for many kids who come for dinner it's their first experience with fish.

I take salmon filets and cut them into nugget sized pieces, coat them with a little mayonnaise and then roll them in panko bread crumbs. 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. All the little boys (8-11) eat them happily and I just bake bigger pieces of filet the same way for DH and I. Kid food that grownups can be OK with too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    make the kids help you. The food they cooked themselves will taste much better, even if they didn't like it first.

then there are numerous kid friendly cookbooks....nearly all of the TV chefs have one out...
    Woohoo to the kids cooking!

When I was about that age, my single working momma who likes to cook instituted kids cook dinner nights. My sister always made Sloppy Joe (with help). And my night usually included a lot of finger foods.

You may not eat in gourmet fashion on Kid Nights, but you will eat and so will the kids who got to participate in the creation rather than pass judgment on what you make.

Otherwise, take it easy with respect to dinner. It's just one meal of the day and it doesn't have to be perfect. Kids are pretty good at eating enough to keep themselves alive.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My neice and nephew absolutely love pizza casserole. Found it in an old home ec cookbook:

Egg noodles
    2 cans of tomato soup
    ground up hamburger cooked with onions, add italian seasoning, a little oregano, a little basil, anything you want and will make it yummy
    mozzella cheese

cook hamburger and egg noodles, mix the whole mess up and put in casserole dish, top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and everythings hot. Serve with a veggie and some really good bread and butter.

Yummy.

You may find the information here, http://www.ellynsatter.com/, helpful.... It might at least let you have some of the joy you used to have at meal times. =)

We had a rule in my house. You had to try everything with one exception. You could hate one thing a week and you didn't have to try that one thing. My daughter ate anything (except for lima beans and kale, my husband won't eat either, so I never served either). I served some pretty adult food, never had a problem. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had the same rule for her friends too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My parents are divorced, and my mom worked a demanding job with long hours, so either my grandparents or a babysitter(we had awesome ones) usually made dinner.

My sister and I lived on mac and cheese with vegetables in it, I liked putting corn, peas and cauliflower in mine, she went for broccoli and corn i think.

Another favourite was mashed potatoes, with chicken, and vegetables mixed all together.

chicken fingers, oooo another good one was breakfast stuff dinner!

We were picky eaters, and my sister was allergic to eggs, and somehow they managed to feed us!

One thing I do notice though looking back, is we always had fruits or vegetables with meals, snacks etc. It was whatever fruit or vegetable we wanted, I loved oranges, and ate a huge amount of of, like some days all meals would have oranges on the side!

I was a super picky eater. My family would grill a lot, and I hated (and still hate) the burnt spots from the grill. But as a kid I couldn't explain that, and I also wasn't able to cut it off, so I just wouldn't eat it. Now I can trim around it or suck it up, even though my parents make fun of me for "practicing brain surgery with a steak knife".

Try to ask (especially the older one) why they don't like it; because its yucky isn't an answer. See if they'll eat it prepped in different ways; if not grilled, stir fryed or baked, breaded (shake'n'bake is great for disguising some flavours), etc.

Also, make it fun, if you can. I only ate celery as a kid because my mom would do "ants on a log" with peanut butter and raisins. Have them help cook, even if the stool is annoying and in your way. Finger food is the greatest, because a knife can be hard, and the 11 year old may hate using it but not want to ask for their food cut for them.

Also, try to find nutrient dense food that they do like. Even if it is a bit more expensive, its better than itching out a bunch of food they wont eat. The V8 smoothies are great, just don't get the low fat/sugar ones (foul aftertaste because of the artificial sweeteners). Low sugar juice. Low sugar peanut butter (protein!!) or natural if they will eat it. Whole wheat crackers. Veggies are always better with dip. Chicken noodle soup with added protein powder (if they won't eat meat, you can buy the unflavoured stuff at health food stores) or finely chopped veggies if that's the issue.

Things that make awful foods better: hiding them in something else of their choice (ex. green peas in mashed potato or apple sauce), adding another flavour to them (ex. tuna fish sandwiches with raisins in them), or having it cut into really small pieces to minimize chewing. Not ideal, but it gets it into them. Make sure to get dad on board, and don't make faces or tease if they eat something in an unorthodox combination. At least they're eating it.

Also, insist on a multivitamin, my brother has some issues that could have been prevented had he A: not been such a picky eater or B: eaten the vitamins. And make sure they actually eat/chew/swallow what have you while you watch, because kids are sneaky.

Another thing, don't panic about not meeting food guide totals each day, a better way for kids is to aim for the final weekly totals each week. Not suggesting they eat only meat for a day, but if one day they're really into vegetables, don't make them eat the pork chop if they're not interested in more than a few bites, because it can ruin their appetite entirely. So long as it roughly balances out weekly, I wouldn't worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    I am the Mom of an OCD 11 year old, and a picky 2 year old, and I am going crazy trying to feed them - and me! Going to the store is still pretty depressing - something my husband and I always did together - and I always come back with tons of groceries, and feel like I hardly have anything to eat! Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    The best thing you can do is to teach your kids that what you prepare for them is what they get to eat (keeping in mind as much as possible personal preferences, of course). The worst thing you can do is prepare multiple meals based on your kids' demands. If they don't like what you've prepared, give them the option to skip that meal (they won't starve to death, I promise). You will not be doing them any favors by encouraging high maintenance behaviors. I agree that involving them in the menu is a great idea, but you might also want to figure out where to draw your line now.

My Daughter is 7 and has been much less picky since she has started cooking meals with me each day, that might work. We love this lady's cookbooks, http://www.annabelkarmel.com/bookshop
    her stuff is wonderful, healthy and really encourages the kids to helps with whatever they can.

my favorite- Easy Chicken Cassarole

Put 1-2 can's condensed (do not add water or milk) Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup in a pan, add 4 chicken breasts cut in 1" cubes (not cooked). Make 1 box of stovetop stuffing (to directions on package), and put on top of chicken/soup. Then coat with mozzarella cheese. Bake. Easy, quick and delicious! You can always sneak veggies into it if you want.

Or english muffin pizzas are always a favorite
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I am a pizzaholic so I do alot of grilled pizza, Pizza on flatbread, or my niece's favorite- Garbage bread-

Make or buy pizza dough, roll out on cookie sheet. Add mozzarella and toppings (pepperoni, ham, sausage,etc.) then fold one side. Add more toppings then fold again. Bake, then dip in pizza sauce,ranch dressing or anything else they prefer.

Another goodie- Cut a hole in center (or use fun cookie cutters) of thick cut toast, butter then set on griddle. Add scrambled or whole egg into hole. Flip once. Instant creative breakfast.

When I babysat my extremely picky cousins I made a lot of ham and cheese sammys. No skins were allowed on the ham or the bread. So I used cookie cutters and cut stars and heats out of the sandwiches. They loved it!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!