The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Forward flap show pads

Because my new saddle is a 3AB Luc Childeric, I'm afraid my nonforward fitted saddle pads won't fit? Anyone know who makes a saddle pad for forward flaps?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Toklat will make a pad to any saddle model they have on file, or you can send them a tracing (they have instructions) for the pad you'd like.

Toklat isn't a manufacturer I saw much in my Hunter circles, but they are very popular for Endurance riders. I bought one of the wool-back pads and was impressed by how nice it looked, and held up to washing. Some of the models have pockets and slots for shimming too, and they are very neatly done.

I have a forward-flap CWD, none of the fleece-type pads I can buy locally fit properly. I use a half pad to show Hunters instead...but I don't show in the Hunters very seriously. I use a quilted pad for jumpers, most of them fit fine.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Beval carries the Butet shaped pad, which comes in a forward flap to fit the forward Butets. I bought one for my Childeric, I might be able to take pictures of how it looks tomorrow. Believe my flap is a 2 3/4, not sure how that translates to letters, but it's definitely forward.

I like Shires pads : http://shop.shiresequestrian.com/p/q...ad?pp=12&pp=12

I have a few of the white fleece lined ones that I use at shows. The pictures don't really show how forward the flaps are, but they're pretty forward. I have a picture of my horse if you want to see it. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps010a705d.jpg That may show it a little better.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I took my saddle with the extra-long, extra-forward flaps to the tack store and we tried on a variety of pads and found one that fit. Then they ordered it in the style I wanted. If that hadn't worked then I would have gone to the custom Toklat which isn't, by the way, any more expensive than a regular pad of the same type from what I've heard.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'm glad this thread came up, as I've got a long and forward-flap Amerigo DJ and can't find any shaped pads that fit properly. I've tried on numerous styles with no success so far, including EcoGold, Ogilvy, Wilkers, Shedrow, etc.

Apparently Wilkers makes custom pads too, but I emailed them about a YEAR ago and never got a response, so it doesn't look like they care for my money. Thanks for the tip about Toklat - I'm going to send them an email now!
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I have this one for my forward flap saddle if you are looking for sheepskin: Ovation® Sheepskin Full Corona Pad- Forward Flap

Wilkers, but you need to go to a tack store that carries them and can order, they do not do custom orders over the phone. We bought a custom pad for our Butet, they will do any size and flap configuration, so if you can compare it to the Butet forward flap, you can get one. And yes, it took about two weeks to come in but cost $48, the same as the pad would have in the store, and it fits our short flap Butet saddle like a glove.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/medalli...jhgp45tu1w4dfu

I use that pad for my forward flap Tad Coffin ("made for a 5'10"-6'1" rider...). Not sure how that compares to yours, but I do know it was one of the only saddles I tried that fit my leg.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89738262_n.jpg
    ^under my saddle

Toklat will custom make any pad to fit your saddle. I love thier Super-Quilt pads, they wash well and look great year after year. If you aren't close to a tack shop try ordering from Smartpak, they are great about returing pads if they don't fit right.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/medalli...jhgp45tu1w4dfu

I use that pad for my forward flap Tad Coffin ("made for a 5'10"-6'1" rider...). Not sure how that compares to yours, but I do know it was one of the only saddles I tried that fit my leg.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...89738262_n.jpg
    ^under my saddle
    I second this... I am 6' tall with a long/forward flap semi-custom saddle, this pad worked out well.

As Maytag said-go to a tack store that sells Wllikers. They send the info under the saddle flap and make one that perfectly fits your saddle. My daughter rides in an 18" 4AA and there was no other pad that came close.

Just wanted to update that Toklat got back to me today (I only emailed yesterday), including the instructions for the dealer on how to order a custom pad for me. She also sent me a list of dealers in my area so that I knew where to go. Very helpful!
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.