The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

My first concert was The Jonas Brothers... I was 16 I think?
    Next concert I'm going to is this summer and it's One Direction...
    Yes... I am a fan of the young boybands. BUT, the boys in 1D as well as the Jonas Brothers are all the same age/a few years older than I am. So, I grew up with JB.

Milli Vanilli.....lord help me.....

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Some of these are great!

My first concert was, embarrassingly enough, Cyndi Lauper. Huey Lewis and The News opened. I was 12.

ETA, Dispatcher, you lucky duck. What an experience!
    Well, ya know, every one was screaming so much you could barely hear them. But it was still cool!

Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine in 1989 or 1990. I would have been 9 or 10. I went with my mom.

Default Not my first, or perhaps the best, but some others,

The Kinks who I have seen many times, but in particular the Schoolboys in Disgrace tour. George Thorogood, way back when Jimmy Spheeris, Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick tour.
    Arlo Guthrie and John Prine.
    How long ago was it? maybe 30 years ago, I drove to St Louis to see Arlo and John Prine. This was pre internet, and cell phone, so you had to have a credit card or cash-no ATMs either! My sister, her 15 year old daughter and I drove over and saw the show. There were two shows that night. We had tickets for the first. We stood outside, and managed to wrangle three tickets for the second show, and it opened with Arlo, doing the same show, word for word with the same observations as the first. JP had opened the first show. John came out and did an entirely new set, almost none of his familiar, well, if you like him you know his songs, if not, you don't. He writes 95% of his music. We will always remember that night!
    Another killer of threads

Freebird! did you get your money back?

Mine was Motley Crue, I was 17. It was loud.

Lynyrd Skynyrd. The original one, before the plane crash. At Greenville Memorial Auditorium. I was 14.

Wellspotted - my sister got to go see the Beatles in Atlanta. I remember going with my parents to drive her to the train station in Greenville. Would've been sometime in the 60's I guess - if I'd been anywhere near old enough I'm sure I'd have pitched a fit to go with her. Was that the same show?

Have always wanted to see John Prine live.

Default Lynrd Skynrd

I have a picture of a very young and thin me with Ronnie VanZant, from way back in the way back. But I don't think it is scanned.
    If you get a chance go see Prine. You won't be sorry.

1 members found this post helpful.

Todd Rundgren on the A Wizard, A True Star tour (the original one!). I was 14. Still regard it as one of the best gigs I ever attended.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The Beach Boys. I was 9 years old.

The Beach Boys at the Iowa State Fair. I think I was 8 or 9.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Freebird! did you get your money back?

Mine was Motley Crue, I was 17. It was loud.
    I think we were like 10...we loved it! Girl you know its true....Ewwww, Ewwew, Ewweww...I love you!.....

Since everyone else is "dating" themselves ....I was 12, and it was the Monkees. 2 years later another friend and I snuck out to see Steppenwolf. The venue was within walking distance from our houses. We thought we were really cool, because we were meeting some "older" boys. Back in those days that was still pretty safe.

One of the more memorable was Jimi Hendrix. Also driving 5 hours with 6 people in a very small toyota to see The Grateful Dead.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I have a picture of a very young and thin me with Ronnie VanZant, from way back in the way back. But I don't think it is scanned.
    If you get a chance go see Prine. You won't be sorry.
    I saw them last summer, of course not the original, but Ronnies brother and Gary Rossington are still there. It was awesome! One of my all time favorite bands, and they still sound fantastic!

Thumbs up

When I was barely 14 (maybe still 13), my parents allowed me to see Bob Seger in concert at Miller Auditorium at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan accompanied by my brother (6 years older than me). This would be about 1975 or 1976. It was fantastic. Bob Seger was a regional rock hero to us at that time and one hell of a showman. I can still close my eyes and see Bob at the piano tossing back his long dark hair as he was playing and all the girls and women swoon screaming. :-)

Later that year, my brother took me to my first stadium concert, Bad Company at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, another excellent experience. It was my first exposure to large clouds of pot smoke in the air, LOL. I was enthralled (with the music, not the pot smoke!). Bad Company and anything Paul Rodgers has had a hand in have remained lifelong favorites.

Fantastic memories -- thanks for starting this thread.
    Last edited by laskiblue; Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typo as usual :-)

I attended symphony concerts from the time I was six or so with my grandparents, but my first group concert was a Peter, Paul and Mary concert on their Reunion Tour - I think I was about 10 or so. I'd have to look that up.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Default I had tickets to a Bob Segar concert

It had to be after 1978, but during the Night Moves phase, but my horse stepped on my ankle and nearly broke it. One of the few I missed!

lol Jesus Christ Superstar when David Essex was a very young lad Nick Putnam was in the audianace and sign him up for pop music
    as i was working for the YMCA youth clubs running the event at that time and part of the team to run the concert as in dressing and queing the acts when to go on lol i was very young ha ha in my early teenager age and had a glass of wine with David is his costume of dungerers and stripy t shirt with red rosey cheeks and curly hair of which its since not quite as long as it once was when a young lad haha all good and perfect gent
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelt his name wrong

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Milli Vanilli.....lord help me.....
    OK, you have made slightly less embarrassed to admit to Sheena Easton at Hamilton Place. I was probably 12 or 13.

Then Murray MacLaughlin. He is a Canadian folk singer, as I'm sure many of you have never heard of him. His "Farmer's Song" was the first song ever played on Q107 (Toronto classic rock station).

I still rate the best concert I ever saw as Bruce Springsteen in 1984 at Exhibition Place, I was 16 then, and my mother accompanied me.

Now I wouldn't even know what to do at a concert, lol.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

goeslikestink, my mother loved David Essex. He is a good-looking man.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.