The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Roger Whitaker...maybe 6 or 7.
    The only song relevant to me that he sang was Puff The Magic Dragon

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG, RUSH, I think I was about 15 years old, so 1977 ish. Got invited back stage.....had lots of fun stories to tell the kids in homeroom the next day
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    The BEATLES!!! I was 13 or 14 so maybe 1964. In Philadelphia. Tickets were $7.00
    The Beatles were my first concert, too -- September 17, 1964. The best band ever.

2 members found this post helpful.

1979... Poco, Boston and the Doobie Brothers at the (long gone) Miami Baseball Stadium. TMF!
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Uh....if you don't count field trips (in which case probably the DSO, I think, doing Holst's The Planets for kids)....um...the only one I remember would be my parents taking us to see Jerry Goldsmith conduct the Detroit Symphony in his film scores. Other than that...I guess there was the Violent Femmes as the Fancy Dress concert one year at W&L (no prizes for guessing the only song I remember them playing) if it has to be a band or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    1979... Poco, Boston and the Doobie Brothers at the (long gone) Miami Baseball Stadium. TMF!
    Poco still rocks. I saw them about 2 years ago. It was awesome.

Elton John, 16 or 17, awesome!

My first attempt was Guns 'n' Roses, when I was twelve or so, but parents vetoed (in retrospect, can't really blame them). A year later I got tickets to Smashing Pumpkins and Garbage, and my parents vetoed again and sold my tickets (still resentful).

First successful concerts, both small venue and large venue, were when I was fourteen; Friday night some alt-country or rockabilly band, probably the Steam Donkeys or Cowslingers, at the best dive bar in Buffalo (sadly closed down last month), Mohawk Place. I was with some older friends in the music scene, and vividly remember a cockroach sitting on the toilet paper holder in the bathroom, and closing out the bar at 5 a.m. with a round of flaming apple pie shots, which terrified me. Then the next night we went to see BNL and the Goo Goo Dolls at the arena, and apparently Robbie from the Goos waved hi as he was walking past before the show and I didn't remember that I had met him at Mohawk the previous night. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Milli Vanilli. DON'T JUDGE ME! Why, yes, I was 15, why do you ask?
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

4 members found this post helpful.

My first concert was INXS, in 1983. Had a fake ID to get into the bar, I was probably 17. Awesome show!

Paul Revere and the Raiders were/are local "kids", so in the beginning we all just hung out and listened to them play.

I saw the Beach Boys here when I was 16, then Pete Seeger at about the same age.

Bad Company, 1975, Straight Shooter tour in Kansas City.

Next one was ZZ Top, 1975 on Halloween night, the Fandango tour.

I was 12!

The Scorpions, and I was not old enough to drive, so probably 15. The funny part of this was, we had to go to wait in line for tickets at the Coliseum and here I am with a group of teenage friends, in line with mostly teens and young adults. You can imagine the type of group that band attracted in the early 80s. These two elderly women get in line behind us. Eventually they ask, "Is this the line for the cat show?" Yes, there was a cat show down in the basement of the Coliseum that day...and no, this was not the line. I still laugh thinking about it. They were probably scared of the crowd. We did direct them to the right place.

I saw the Boston Pops and many other classical concerts at Tanglewood and other venues when I was a child. My first rock concert was The Eagles and Joe Walsh, at Red Rocks when I was 12.

The latest one was 2? years ago, Dr. John at Mishewaka. It was great!

My first concert was with my grandmother! She took me to go see Alice Cooper on his Welcome to my Nightmare tour.... I was seven!

Lisa

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
    Literally changed my life. In the 30+ years since that concert, there have only been a few that have come close.
    Yessirreebob, Queen live in 1982 would have changed anyone's life. If not, what kind of life was the person living?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

My mother was a native of Germany who lived through the Nazi period and the war of course. Her family was Prussian, my grandfather (her father) was a violinist who was invited to play with the Berlin Philharmonic, and she was a self educated pianist, who won a scholarship to a conservatory. She risked her life to go to her studies and miss the regular mandatory Nazi Youth Group meetings they all had to attend or risk big trouble.

So naturally, my first concert was in Centreville, MD when it was a very big deal to have the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra play at the local high school, conducted by Rainer Meidel who became Concert Master for the Seattle Symphony Orchestra and a Mozart piece was on the program. I was about 14, my sweet German Shepherd had just had 12 puppies and lost 3, but I was determined to go anyway. I woke up in the morning to classical music and I loved it. Sadly, I was immersed in some versions of rock later. I cannot remember the first rock concert that I attended. Probably Jonathan Edwards at Georgetown University at around 17 or so.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Fog Hat 1972 in Seattle with one of my older sisters and her husband-and they did not ditch me. Sat in the front row, Fog Hat was great.

The Beatles, Atlanta Stadium. It was my 13th birthday, the very day.

(Well, when I was 12 I went to a concert by the high school band I was to join at age 13, and that was good too ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Not including Raffi and the like, my first "real" show was Peter, Paul & Mary at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, I must have been about 8-10? Kind of a neat first concert to have, though!