The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I have a baby, so everyone around me should just deal with all of the issues that come with me having a baby. LOL
    Seriously?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Seriously?
    I think you missed the sarcasm...
    but that was what is implied by the responses...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

8 members found this post helpful.

Leaving that passive aggressive note for the poor parents of screaming child is going to do nothing but make them feel like even shi(pp)ier parents than they're probably already feeling since they're A) sleep deprived and B) dealing with a baby who they probably feel like they CAN'T soothe.

Get ear plugs. Don't forget to put them in. It's not going to last forever, you'll be fine. Maybe do something nice for them if you hear the baby up screaming at 4am like leave them a lb of dunkin donuts coffee with a note that says "sounds like it was a rough night last night - have some coffee, my treat. Your neighbor in 4B "

You can make a point and let them know that you can hear their baby without being like "PRINCESS IN 4B CANNOT GET HER BEAUTY SLEEP WITH YOUR NEWBORN INFANT MAKING A RUCKUS, SHUT HIM UP OR ELSE RAAAAAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

13 members found this post helpful.

I haven't read the replies - but as someone that has lived in packed apartment complexes, apartments above overnight street work etc, my advice is:

GET BETTER EAR PLUGS

Seriously, its the only thing that worked for my sanity. They sell good ones that won't fall out.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I find it really shocking.

How little compassion have for their neighbors...

The 7PM screaming, I know I can deal with....but sheesh.. at 5 in the morning?

Y'all are assuming the OP can just hop in bed at 8, be fresh and rested and ready to go bushy tailed into the day at the crack of dawn....

My evenings are often long, at 5 in the morning I am not well rested, let alone cheerful and willing to buy doughnuts for the people waking me....if I don't rip your head off, I am having a good morning....

You can let your kid cry to your heart's content when you have a free standing house, or a doublex with the nursery at the far end...but golly, people....I am all for giving leeway to kids. but this is taking the cake!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

33 members found this post helpful.

I feel for you OP!

When I want to sleep, I want quiet. No, I dont mean at 10pm, but 1 am, 5am... Yes, I am THAT neighbour that calls the police on people for noise or will come speak to you directly! I did it when I lived in a townhouse while in college, and I did it while I lived in an apartment building after.

To the person that said if you want quiet, get a mortgage? WRONG! Bought a house. Doors closed, windows closed, go to sleep. Oh wait? Whats that? My BF doesnt watch golf... Oh, its the neighbours with their TV on so loud I can clearly hear it in my house! You can darn well bet I went next door and had a chat with them!

2 members found this post helpful.

Living in a condo can be really tough.

But that's what a management company is being paid to do - deal with issues like this.

There are usually noise / disturbance rules in the bylaws. You should look this up before you do anything. Most places have rules about excessive noise between 11pm and 7am.

I'd call the association and let them know what is going on. That's what you pay those fees for.

While i am sympathetic to the parents and child in this situation, the person they are disturbing also has the right to peace and quiet during the 'quiet' times.

16 members found this post helpful.

Wow, perish the thought that anyone with children should have to have consideration for their neighbors. All I can say is that all the posters here who have basically told the OP to essentially get over it, must have God's gift of children. You know, those that are so special and precious that anybody who complains of said child must be evil/selfish/rude.

This is why we have a generation of selfish children who feel like the world owes them. I'd hate to have any of you as neighbors. It used to be that the families got houses and took the responsibility of a mortgage. And don't tell me you can't afford it - you're the ones telling the OP to do that.

41 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You can let your kid cry to your heart's content when you have a free standing house, or a doublex with the nursery at the far end...but golly, people....I am all for giving leeway to kids. but this is taking the cake!
    Here's the part that's sort of funny to me. Not funny haha but funny exasperating - parents are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Let kiddo cry it out now, and kiddo learns to deal with it when he wakes up in the early morning sooner. Keep rushing in to soothe baby for the good of the neighbors, and the tendency to wake and cry at 5 am goes on longer and longer, maybe not for 15-30 minutes at a stretch, but it will probably still wake people up.

I'm not a cry it out person. And I'm acutely aware of the fact that we share walls with a neighbor (whose subwoofer has caused me many a teeth grindings). But these people may not be awful, uncaring people who don't care if their spawn makes others suffer. Their tactic may actually be their attempt to cut down on everyone's suffering long-term.

And perhaps they don't know - but there are ways to tell them (several of which have been suggested) that don't come across as passive aggressive.

I don't expect the world to change to suit me having a kid - but I also know that living in a building with shared walls/ceilings/floors means dealing with shitty noise. Whether it's a baby or a pet or a neighbor having loud sex.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    Wow, perish the thought that anyone with children should have to have consideration for their neighbors. All I can say is that all the posters here who have basically told the OP to essentially get over it, must have God's gift of children. You know, those that are so special and precious that anybody who complains of said child must be evil/selfish/rude.

This is why we have a generation of selfish children who feel like the world owes them. I'd hate to have any of you as neighbors. It used to be that the families got houses and took the responsibility of a mortgage. And don't tell me you can't afford it - you're the ones telling the OP to do that.
    Nope, 23, HATE children, never plan on having them. I still think OP's note is passive agressive and only going to cause problems.

And let's not be ridiculous in thinking that teaching a 6mo child to self-soothe is the reason "kids today" are spoiled. (BTW, every generation thinks that. )

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Nope, 23, HATE children, never plan on having them. I still think OP's note is passive agressive and only going to cause problems.

And let's not be ridiculous in thinking that teaching a 6mo child to self-soothe is the reason "kids today" are spoiled. (BTW, every generation thinks that. )

Oh, I know, my post is over the top, and that way on purpose. I've just dealt with too many parents pre and post children that all of a sudden are convinced that anybody else 'must make allowances".

But seriously, all the responses to the OP that she should essentially get over it are missing one thing - the fact that the truth is always in the middle. Nobody's completely innocent or completely guilty.

So, the OP should do some soundproofing, but it isn't a bad thing to let the parents know that they are causing distress. A knock on the door, and a conversation that isn't agressive or defensive is a great start. Maybe they can't do much about all if it, but maybe they won't be screaming at the top of their voice to 'Jeffrey' anymore.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am sure the parents are not sleeping soundly while their child cries.

My 15month old has started waking every.single.morning at 4a...why, I have no idea.

I am awake, in bed listening to every breath and every cry...its agonzing, but, this morning it lasted all of 30 seconds and back to sleep he went.

There was a period of time when he was sick that he was up every 2 hours, holding him, rocking him, etc wouldnt keep him quiet for long...at that point if a neighbor had come knocking on MY door I would have hit the roof...tell a sleep deprived mom of an infant that their child is keeping YOU awake, I dare you. Call CPS, an already over loaded system, on a parent who is really doing nothing wrong and see if you dont find youself in some deep s$%t.

Sure, its annoying and tiring...try being a parent...its not all peaches and rosebuds.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Its a BABY. This isn't some brat being obnoxious. Its a baby.

I am surely in agreement that many children are raised with a sense of entitlement but to say that a baby crying leads to bad behaviors later is stretching it.

We were all babies at one time, we all cried, we all disrupted other people's lives at some point.
    I didn't say that letting the baby cry will lead to a monster. I said that the parents need to be made aware that their child's behaviors affect more than just them.

Things that are acceptable in a single family home are not automatically acceptable in a multi-family dwelling.

11 members found this post helpful.

I do think they probably don't realize you can hear it. I think your note is too much but someone else's kind suggestion about showing concern and asking if the baby was alright and how it was doing then mentioning the crying may be the best bet.

DUH. Both parties have rights and responsibilities.

I have had nieces and nephews of all ages around for the past 40+ years. Kids are loud, BUT can be taught some manners. Yes some kids cry, a lot, however parents should be respectful of others around them. Waking up and crying in the morning is not abnormal, especially if the child has a wet/dirty diaper or is hungry. Waking up 2 times every morning raises a flag for me. I have to wonder if the child is uncomfortable, diaper, or hungry. One of my fellow workers put her first born on cereal early because he was always hungry.
    So speaking to Mom, as suggested by others, may be the push she needs to speak with her DR. Just because adults have written books about child care and raising, the children just don't read the books.

Having children is a choice. If you choose to have children you are responsible for that child, especially as an infant. Easy?, No but your choice, your responsibility. If your child is waking up in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning, when most people are still sleeping, then you figure out why and try to lessen the impact on everyone else.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

30 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    DUH. Both parties have rights and responsibilities.

I have had nieces and nephews of all ages around for the past 40+ years. Kids are loud, BUT can be taught some manners. Yes some kids cry, a lot, however parents should be respectful of others around them. Waking up and crying in the morning is not abnormal, especially if the child has a wet/dirty diaper or is hungry. Waking up 2 times every morning raises a flag for me. I have to wonder if the child is uncomfortable, diaper, or hungry. One of my fellow workers put her first born on cereal early because he was always hungry.
    So speaking to Mom, as suggested by others, may be the push she needs to speak with her DR. Just because adults have written books about child care and raising, the children just don't read the books.

Having children is a choice. If you choose to have children you are responsible for that child, especially as an infant. Easy?, No but your choice, your responsibility. If your child is waking up in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning, when most people are still sleeping, then you figure out why and try to lessen the impact on everyone else.
    Very well said.

I am sure they are trying to get the baby to the point of sleeping through the night. They have been getting up every few hours for the last 7 months and enough is enough. They are suffering right along with you, believe me I know from experience.

This is one of the inconveniences of apartment living-- noisy neighbors. If you just bear with them it won't last too long. You could always move.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    "PRINCESS IN 4B CANNOT GET HER BEAUTY SLEEP WITH YOUR NEWBORN INFANT MAKING A RUCKUS, SHUT HIM UP OR ELSE RAAAAAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    This was uncalled for. I have been dealing with excess noise at nightime hours since NOVEMBER. It is now February. Shall I assist you with counting?

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    This is one of the inconveniences of apartment living-- noisy neighbors. If you just bear with them it won't last too long. You could always move.
    The number of people recommending moving is a little incredible to me. Is it really that easy for people to pick up and move? Find new affordable housing? Incur the costs of moving?

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I didn't say that letting the baby cry will lead to a monster. I said that the parents need to be made aware that their child's behaviors affect more than just them. Things that are acceptable in a single family home are not automatically acceptable in a multi-family dwelling.
    Even if the parents aren't aware that the crying is affecting their neighbors, what do you propose they do to fix it? Have you ever tried to stop an infant from crying when it needs to? And yes, an infant crying is a NEED - it's their form of communication as they can't speak.

Parents figure out the different cries - hungry, dirty diaper, just plain pissed for no good reason. This particular case does sound like the parents are trying to teach the baby to self soothe, as it is on such a regular schedule.

If you choose to live in a community environment, you are choosing to live with some circumstances that are out of your control. A crying infant is often out of even the parents' control.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, if this was my kid, I'd be sending a note to the neighbors and tell them that I am so sorry for the noise. I'd feel terrible. But again, sometimes, they JUST CRY. And it is super frustrating.

My child is a good citizen of the world. I am constantly thinking of the general public when I take her out, which is why I make sure she is an upstanding citizen, so that people don't label all kids as brats. But there are certain things out of a parents control. Crying infants is one of them.