The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    And as for whether I could hear them if they were with the child, yes, I would be able to hear them if they were in the room with the child. And I would not be able to hear them as well if they took the child back to their bedroom.
    Has it occurred to you that maybe 5 and 7 are when the parents are showering? Dressing? Cooking breakfast? Doing some other task that requires two hands and can't be arranged around your/baby's sleep schedule? What would you like them to do?

I am glad I own a house. On property. In the country. Where there are no very close neighbors who might try to dictate when and where I am allowed to have babies crying.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

5 members found this post helpful.

I have a baby, so everyone around me should just deal with all of the issues that come with me having a baby. LOL

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Crying baby, get over it. I once lived below a woman who was a very active "canoer" and had a creaky bed. Try sleeping through that every night, especially when you haven't canoed in a while.

I used to live above a chick I think was super-bipolar and abusive. She used to wake me up at odd hours wailing like she had been beaten, or screaming at her long-suffering boyfriend. I would take loud canoeing or a baby over the random three AM "I HAAAAATE YOU I HAAAAAAAAATE YOU!!!!!!!" that went on for what seemed like hours.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you own the condo or are you just renting? If just renting, I'd see what I could do about either breaking my lease or sub-leasing the place and moving. If you own it, then get with someone to figure out what you can do to help soundproof the place within whatever guidelines the condo building/association has or work on selling/renting the place out to someone else. Heck, even if you rent it, you could talk to you landlord about the problem and see what they suggest. I also highly recommend the use of a white noise machine or a fan or something. Both help me sleep a lot better now than I used to!

While children may not equate to yappy little dogs, it IS frustrating. I've dealt with both from my neighbors, and in some instances, with people I lived with. My previous roommates had 2 poms and a min pin when I lived with them and they barked all. the. time. I liked the dogs when I moved in, but by the time I moved out, I was so sick of those dogs and was beginning to hate my roommates for not training them properly and dealing with the problem.

ETA that I LOVE the idea of approaching the mom in the hallway and expressing concern. IF you decide that you want to actually talk to them in person vs. trying the other options. Being nice should go much further than a passive aggressive note will.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

When apartment living, there are certain things you just have to live with. One of those is neighbor noise. A baby crying for 15-30 minutes twice a day doesn't even come close to being anything to complain about. And could get you marked as the "problem renter."

A yapping dog isn't close to comparable to this. Even if a person finds both sounds annoying.

Doesn't matter if you're paying full rent, so is everyone else in the building. If you moved into a building that doesn't have only 1 bedroom apartments, common sense dictates there will be children living there. 15-30 minutes of crying per day does not mean the parents have to rush to soothe the baby that may be bothering their neighbor. Babies learn to not cry over everything this way. All of you most likely learned the same way. If you grew up in a house as opposed to an apartment, good for you!

I'm not a baby-centric person. I do think way too many parents over-indulge their children. And in this case, I think those who assume all babies in all locations must be 100% quiet at any time they find noise annoying....those may have been raised as a bit too "precious snowflake." Life can be annoying at times. If your "annoyance" is a short time twice daily of a child crying...congratulate yourself. You hit the Life Lottery.

Go buy a $1.99 set of earplugs if you're trying to sleep. Or turn up the TV if you're already awake. Problem solved.

If you want complete utter silence whenever you feel like it, get a mortgage.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

6 members found this post helpful.

Look on the brightside: the baby will grow out of the crying jags.

Get more earplugs, get a white noise machine and hang in there. Not much to be done for a colicky baby.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Look on the brightside: the baby will grow out of the crying jags.

Get more earplugs, get a white noise machine and hang in there. Not much to be done for a colicky baby.
    that is the assumption that the baby is collicy, not just hungry and wet....

Sooo, white noise machine?

If the building has such great acoustics, I'd vote for nice rain noises....take that at 5AM and not get up for a bathroom break!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

OH! This gives me a brilliant invention idea....a sound-proof or sound-deafening crib cover! YESS! I will be the hero of desperate parents and frustrated neighbors for generations!

(and for the record...I'm all about the idea of "crating" kids. I guess this is why I don't have nor want to have offspring :-P).
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

18 members found this post helpful.

I will preface this by saying that CIO is not for me. But I do live in the country where no one but us can hear DS1 or DS2 if I chose to. Sadly 15-30 minutes is not a long time, particularly if they are doing CIO.

I totally sympathize with you about how loud it may be. I don't like hearing it and it is my kid, let alone if it wasn't. It sucks, I get that. But with two little ones it will always be something and I think you should ask to move to a different apartment.

As far as CPS that is nuts. Read about CIO, the standard is up to an hour. Not my style but far from abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Has it occurred to you that maybe 5 and 7 are when the parents are showering? Dressing? Cooking breakfast? Doing some other task that requires two hands and can't be arranged around your/baby's sleep schedule? What would you like them to do?
    "Occurred to me"? Er, both of them showering at the same time? Or one in the kitchen, while the other showers, but too busy to take care of the baby? at 5am and again at 7:00 am?

It's not the case. What I would like them to do is recognize that their neighbors need their sleep. And I'm trying to find a politic way to do that.

But thanks so much for playing!

Meanwhile, while this is an apartment building, it is a co-op. So, moving (within the building) is not an option.

Also, the crying (which does happen at other times of the day) is not a problem except when I'm trying to sleep. And rearranging my sleep schedule so that my wake-up time is 5am is not a realistic option.

8 members found this post helpful.

That sounds really annoying and for that you have my sympathies. However, I don't think a note is appropriate or productive. It is a baby and unfortunately babies cry. Notes identifying issues are only productive if there is a solution to the problem. If someone had the solution to baby crying, they would be a multi-billionaire.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

My upstairs neighbors had two kids under 5. They would allow them to jump off their bed at very odd hours of the morning. Especially Saturday or Sunday mornings which made it OH so fun. I didn't say a word... Well one day her kids went upstairs to play with the other kids. She heard them jumping and realized HOW loud it was for me. They stopped jumping off the bed. I ended up moving apartments because I wanted to reduce my rent. The new people weren't as tolerant as I and complained. The couple upstairs was asked to move to a first floor apartment.

My new neighbor will get into a fight with her boyfriend on Monday nights between the hours of 1130 PM and 130 AM. They will scream RIGHT outside my bedroom window. I did say something to her and asked was he hurting you because I heard you screaming and I was getting concerned. It has gotten better but they still do it.

In the case of the yours...get ear plugs..or just go to be earlier so that your sleep is almost over.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

It's not the case. What I would like them to do is recognize that their neighbors need their sleep. And I'm trying to find a politic way to do that.

So get earplugs. They cost next to nothing and it's the politic way to deal with a non-issue that's bothering you.

I really don't see the issue here. It's a simple, fast, cheap fix. Easy-squeezey.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

so YOU own your unit? Get busy and sound-proof it. If it was a rental, it might be hard to talk a landlord into doing that, but if it's yours, you can just do it. Why put up with being able to hear your neighbors talking when a bit of construction will permanently cure the problem? it might not be able to completely block out the shrieks of a baby, but you can certainly block out most sounds.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/soundpr...les-28627.html

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    "Occurred to me"? Er, both of them showering at the same time? Or one in the kitchen, while the other showers, but too busy to take care of the baby? at 5am and again at 7:00 am?

You're so welcome.

I'm so glad you aren't my neighbor, you seem like a real peach.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

12 members found this post helpful.

I live in a hundred year old building. There are kids crying as well as running up and down the hallways, dogs barking, and people coming in and out at all hours of the day and night (particularly on weekends). Yes, it can be annoying and disruptive. However, it's not fair to try to dictate peoples every day lives and how much noise they make. It's a downside of living in a communal type of space, but it's nice to know that I can make a bit of noise within reason without having my head ripped off.

I think that slipping a note under their door is just going to put them into a defensive mode. You could maybe talk to the property manager or landlord, but honestly, I think your solutions are to either find a way to block out at least some of the noise (I have a fan and a soundtrack that play while I sleep) or to move.

The bottom line is, you can't prevent them from crying. They might be trying to sleep train the baby so it learns to get itself back to sleep, so that he DOESNT keep waking up at 5 am. And yes, we started doing this around 6 months or so. But I knew lots of people who did it earlier than that. Also don't dismiss having a cold. Babies get stuffy all the time and it certainly disrupts their sleep cycle.

Even if they go to soothe the baby, that's no guarantee he'll stop crying. Lord knows if they're colicky, uncomfortable, tired, WHATEVER, sometimes they just....cry!!!

As annoying as it is, its the way it is. They can't very well prevent it, so you need to take proactive measures. I think a white noise machine is an excellent suggestion. As is earplugs. maybe find some nicer ones that stay in better than the little cheap squishy ones.

15-30 minutes is not excessive. I can remember my little one in her swing crying that long before falling asleep, and this was after being fed, changed, swaddled, soothed, the whole nine.

If this was a few hours, then yes, I would be concerned. But 30 minutes is not that long, unfortunately for you.

Get better earplugs.

Seriously, the ones designed for swimming won't fall out and block virtually all noise.

http://www.amazon.com/Macks-AquaBloc...1475617&sr=1-1
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    If you want complete utter silence whenever you feel like it, get a mortgage.
    That's easy to say until you remember that she has the mortgage and the screaming neighbor.

I would let the neighbor know that their Precious is waking you up every morning. They live in a condo now and their (and their children's) behaviors affect their neighbors. Being a parent isn't an excuse to be a sh!tty neighbor, despite what folks here think. I would go with the fake concern.

The neighbor's are the one causing problems, not the OP. They can soundproof their unit just as easily as she can soundproof hers. Too many parents think the rest of us should just put up with their kids. No, not much can be done with a screaming baby, but lots of behaviors later in life that the neighbors shouldn't have to put up with. Parents need to made aware NOW that Precious isn't the center of everyone else's life.

Having lived in condos/apartments/townhouses for the last 15 years, I can say with certainty that $1.99 ear plugs will not fix this problem. The baby will eventually stop crying; however, unless something is said, the parents will not stop being oblivious to the neighbors on the other side of their living room wall.

44 members found this post helpful.

Its a BABY. This isn't some brat being obnoxious. Its a baby.

I am surely in agreement that many children are raised with a sense of entitlement but to say that a baby crying leads to bad behaviors later is stretching it.

We were all babies at one time, we all cried, we all disrupted other people's lives at some point.