The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Alternative" healing - what have you tried?

I was in a serious car accident a long time ago. After, I saw a chiropractor. Gave it up because some of the crunching alarmed me. A few years later, tried again. Gave up for same reason. Also was not entirely sure I was receiving any benefit.

But the injured shoulder has always bothered me and more so lately. Meanwhile, a coworker talked up someone she sees. I figured "what the heck." It's different from previous experiences in that so far, there has been no spinal manipulation whatsoever. It's far more akin to massage therapy and physical therapy. And, it seems to be working. (It's called the Graston technique.)

Since I started riding, instructors have been yelling at me about my right shoulder (which tended to curl forward). This past weekend (after 3 weeks of treatment), my instructor.... started harping on my left shoulder. (Brought this to the attention of the therapist this week and she's working to bring my left into better alignment.)

At any rate, curious what other people have tried, and what success they've had.

Also, good exercise for all of those out there who need better posture. Whenever you're sitting down (and not doing something with your hands) place one hand over the other, palms up. The back of your left hand rests on your lap, the back of the right hand rests on the palm of the left hand (or vice versa, whichever way is more comfortable for you). Automatically opens up your posture.

I don't consider massage/chiropractor/physical therapy particularly "alternative?"

I had acupuncture on a knee injury. My vet refused to do it (!), but did refer me to a fellow he'd used. The first visit it hurt like heck and the room started to spin and I felt nauseous. I went back the next day and didn't feel a thing or react in any way. He said he'd released the bad energy on the first day. My knee is still a little numb but no longer in pain. My husband went to an acupuncturist when he had shingles, and had the little pins put in his ear that stayed in. His shingles turned the corner and got better soon after he went, so he was a believer.

Chiropractic I consider "aternative." Massage and PT, I consider therapeutic, but not necessarily "alternative."

2 members found this post helpful.

Reiki can work wonders, and a lot of people don't believe in it. My boyfriends mother is getting cancer treatments, and the hospital provides reiki for all the patients. She stopped for a few days, and immediately noticed the difference! She said she felt so much better while having the reiki done.

I also believe strongly in chiropractors, therapeutic massage, and acupuncture. They all work together, and are definitely not "hocus pocus."
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

acupuncture helps my really bad TMJ and fibromyalgia pain. Also, I do chiropractic work and meditation.
    I had a shoulder injury and PT really helped.

I once had a lot of back pain and the chiropractor worked so hard to "fix" it. Turned out it was my bra clasp digging in when I rode. Now I wear a sports bra. It is much cheaper than all those chiro appointments! :-D

2 members found this post helpful.

I had myofacial release done to fix my shoulder after western PT fired me. It took a bit of time, but it worked! I also use an herbologist for just about everything else. He cured menstral cramps (on the magnitude of a miscarriage every month) that western medicine hadn't been able to do squat for over the last 35 yrs.

I swear by acupuncture for pain management.

Various massage modalities have helped me. I get lymph drainage massage done when I can squeeze it into the budget. It really helps with my fluid retention problems.

I do like a chiropractic adjustment to help with headaches, but the "chiropractice cures everything" attitude from chiropractors is a turn off for me.

I've seen some positive reactions from energy work on others, but even though I've tried it, never felt any difference from it.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

The extent of what I tried was, about 35 years ago, our vet came back from a vet conference in love with this new substance, MSM and was giving samples away and selling it to everyone for everything, human, horse, dog.

My hands were giving me trouble, had some fingers swelling and getting knots and I asked my Dr about trying MSM, as it was supposed to work for that also.
    My Dr said it would check that out and get back to me.

A few weeks later, the Dr called and said it was ok if I wanted to try that, it didn't seem to do anything much, but it was safe to take, so if I wanted, why not.

By then, my hands were back to normal, other than the knots that flareup had left, so I didn't bother to take any of the MSM.

If I had taken that, maybe I too would say "it worked!".

Moral of this story, with so much of what is considered "alternative medicine", by definition because we don't have enough to go by to say if it works or not, well, we just don't know.
    If we don't know, it is hard to assume it works, because there may be other at work when it seems to, as it could have in mine and so many other cases.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I've had acupuncture and chiropractic work. Acupuncture did absolutely jack for me, but my horse really likes it, and after his vet is done poking needles into him he is more flexible in his neck and his shoulder. Whether that's the needles or whether he just really likes the vet I couldn't tell ya.

Chiro, on the other hand... I'm looking for a different chiropractor now, but after 3 years of chiropractic work, my x-rays have improved and one of my discs has stopped degenerating. My back doctor looked at the x-rays and MRI from this year and said "What are you doing differently, you're better than when you came in." I think the chiropractor I had been seeing was a bit of a crock and attribute most of my success to the traction table, but whatever works.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I do chiro, for some people the physical manipulation can be too much, in which case they have machines to help. My dogs see a chiro too, I've got a MASSIVE lab who is going to have body issues as he ages, and an active border collie, both run into walls a lot. I suspect the new cattle dog has some pain issues, but she's so untrusting right now I don't know if she will let him touch her. Oh, and I did my rabbit one time too Haha!

You have to feel around what's best for you and your body! My horse hated his chiro (same one who does the dogs and rabbit), but his new guy is a little more less handsy, and supplements with acupuncture.

I'm a fan of Reiki and myofacial release. I also swear by arnica gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I've had acupuncture and chiropractic work. Acupuncture did absolutely jack for me, but my horse really likes it, and after his vet is done poking needles into him he is more flexible in his neck and his shoulder. Whether that's the needles or whether he just really likes the vet I couldn't tell ya.

Chiro, on the other hand... I'm looking for a different chiropractor now, but after 3 years of chiropractic work, my x-rays have improved and one of my discs has stopped degenerating. My back doctor looked at the x-rays and MRI from this year and said "What are you doing differently, you're better than when you came in." I think the chiropractor I had been seeing was a bit of a crock and attribute most of my success to the traction table, but whatever works.
    That is what I was saying, you think it was the chiro work that helped, but you don't know that any more than it was the MSM I didn't take that "helped" my hands.

We tend to take cause and effect a bit casually when it comes to alternative medicine, because we really don't know, not only why, but if it is working at all.
    That is why it is "alternative", not standard medicine.

The OP's question really doesn't has a clear answer.

reiki and quantum touch. Like them both, but quantum touch worked best for me.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

I was in a car accident about 9 years ago that sent me through physical therapy, messed up my back pretty badly, affected my riding and ability to work without pain for a long time. I have a medical massage therapist now that is absolutely fabulous - in less than 6 months of work with about one massage every other week or once a month, my back pain was completely gone, and that was after 7 years of pain. Now any pain/physical problems that I have, I go to him. He is amazing!!

Big believer in homeopathy after working for a veterinarian who was the last chance go to for "terminally" ill small animals (primarily dogs, some cats). I had no experience w/homeopathy until I started working with her and was very, very skeptical - BUT in so many cases, she got positive results where traditional medicines/treatment protocols had failed.

I have used some of the homeopathic remedies for various ailments with good success. My father is battling cancer and the nutritional recommendations have a very positive effect. Nutrition is not necessarily alternative, but the last doctor he had preferred to just pour meds into him with out any positive results. Now the bloodwork looks better and he feels so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I don't consider massage/chiropractor/physical therapy particularly "alternative?"
    me neither.
    i've used acupuncture and pressure with wonderful results, as has my husband.
    we use elderberry tincture in this house to ward of virus and it works very well--a shot a day and it's pretty tasty stuff. we also use suppplements and herbs.
    we're believers!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is what I was saying, you think it was the chiro work that helped, but you don't know that any more than it was the MSM I didn't take that "helped" my hands.

We tend to take cause and effect a bit casually when it comes to alternative medicine, because we really don't know, not only why, but if it is working at all.
    That is why it is "alternative", not standard medicine.

The OP's question really doesn't has a clear answer.
    Well, the causality is always a question with anything you do, and the actual component to the treatment that led to (or seemed to lead to) improvement is the big question for me. I do think that the most logical explanation to what amounted to an improvement in spinal alignment and a partial return to normalcy for one of my discs is that I was having chiropractic work. Per my doctor, it's not a situation that would have resolved on its own, and the only thing I was doing differently as far as treatment, exercise, or even use of my back was the chiro work. I think the biggest component to my improvement was the traction table which was part of the treatment my chiropractor used. Was that necessarily it? I don't know- it could have been that, the manual therapy, both in combination, or something else. But there was definitely a measurable change in range of motion and pain, and also more quantitatively on my MRI and x-rays, pre- and post-chiro.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

DH was a practicing hypnotherapist (secondary to having his own locksmithing business) and taught me self-hypnosis as a relaxation technique.

IMHO any "alternative" treatment is only that until it gets mainstreamed.
    Look at acupuncture - most insurance plans now cover it.
    30 years ago...not so much.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009