The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default please share&care in NorthAmerica, too....

not sure where to post this (for some reason i can't post in horsecareforum, either?), thus, it might not be all appropriate under sporthorse breeding but as long as it is being passed along it sure serves the matter...

found this on facebook, and while i kept ignoring the horse meat scandal for the time being overhere in europe, THIS is really striking.
    since this is not about pasta&pizza but about HORSES.
    this is not about europe or emerging market countries, this is CANADA and all of us.

you don't need to understand german or swiss (this is a swiss report)
    i have watched part of the video (couldn't stand more) and figured, it speaks for itself.
    http://www.20min.ch/wissen/news/story/19586872

just pass it on to whom you think it may concern.

I am so ashamed to be a canadian...
    I am so ashamed to be a human....
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    I am so ashamed to be a canadian...
    I am so ashamed to be a human....
    You are not alone... all of us, who turn a blind eye to this horror - share some responsibility for this.

Before you breed another horse, take a look, to the very end, to see if this is how one of yours ended up. Then ask yourself if there isn't a better way to make a buck.

don't get me wrong.
    my intention is not to blame canadians or anyone else.
    slaughter or eating horse meat is acceptable use, no matter where.
    just help slaughtering animals with dignity.

no idea if there is an engl translation to the written article underneath available.
    however, i can translate relevant parts of the text underneath if you want to - ?

engl translation within text:

Der wahre Skandal ums Pferdefleisch
    the real scandal about horse meat

Europa diskutiert über das Rossfleisch in der Lasagne.
    europe is in a discussion about horse meat in lasagne.
    Oft vergessen wird, wie Pferde, die auf unseren Tellern landen, gehalten und geschlachtet werden.
    however, we often forget how horses, that end up on our plates, are being kept and slaughtered.

Der Skandal um nicht deklariertes Pferdefleisch in verschiedenen Produkten zieht weitere Kreise:
    the scandal about non declared horse meat in many products is reaching far.

Der Tierschutzbund Zürich (TSB) kritisiert, dass in die Schweiz importiertes Pferdefleisch aus den USA, Kanada, Mexiko und Argentinien aus «Qualproduktion» stamme.

the swiss animal aid assosiation criticizes, that horse meat which is imported to switzerland comes from US, canadian, mexican and argentinian "pain-production"
    Weder Haltung, Transport und Umgang mit Pferden noch deren Schlachtung entsprächen den EU- und Schweizer Standards, hiess es.
    neither carriage, transport and handling nor the process of slaughtering is according to EU or swiss standards.

Mit ein Grund für die Misere ist, dass in den USA 2007 ein Schlachtstopp verhängt wurde. Der Entscheid hat den Tieren jedoch mehr geschadet als genützt.
    one reason for the misery is that the USA imposed a slaughter stop over horses in 2007.
    this policy, however, did more harm than help to the creatures.

Denn die Transportbedingungen in die Schlachthöfe der Nachbarländer sind gemessen an Schweizer Standards miserabel.
    since conditions of transport to the slaughteries of the neighbouring countries are miserable compared to swiss standards.

In den USA dürfen Pferde bis zu 28 Stunden, in Kanada gar bis zu 36 Stunden ohne Wasser, Nahrung und Ruhepausen transportiert werden.
    in the US horses are allowed to be kept without water, food and rest up to 28 hours, in canada even 36 hours.

Sie werden eng zusammengepfercht und fällt ein Tier um, droht ihm, dass es von Artgenossen niedergetrampelt wird.
    they are tightly packed and if a horse falls down it risks being stamped to death by others.
    Zudem ist auch nicht vorgeschrieben, dass Pferdetransporter ein Dach haben müssen. So werden die Tiere bei Wind und Wetter ohne Schutz vor heisser Sonne oder kaltem Schnee gefahren.
    there is no order that horse transports need to be sheltered and have a roof. so animals can be transported unprotected from wind and weather, hot sun or icy snow.

... thus far the written report goes.
    Last edited by fannie mae; Feb. 21, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

fannie mae, I totally agree. Stopping slaughter is not the answer, but having better controls on humane transport, housing, and slaughter practices are. It breaks my heart to think of any horse going to slaughter, but not having this option will lead to thousands of horses starving and being neglected every year.

Addressing this issue to responsible breeders is not the issue either. Most responsible breeders would take back any horses that we had bred or owned, if it was in a bad situation. The problem lies with uncaring and uneducated breeders. Just go to the sales. Most of those horses are either physically or mentally broken. I wish the people would just euthanize them, but they would rather make $400 than have to spend that on euthanasia and disposal. Some of the horses are from people who allowed their numbers to get out of control. Over the years, I have seen several people who had over 100 horses because they started with a dozen or so and failed to have colts gelded. One man brought 35 Quarter Horse stallions who were 5 to 10 years old and were all untouched by the hand of man until the sale. Another brought over 80 Paint horses to the sale at one time as they were starving. Again, this was a problem with never gelding colts. She had yearlings who were pregnant. The situation needs to be addressed on this level, but there is nothing in place to help with solutions.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

5 members found this post helpful.

totally agree with you!
    again: my intention is not to blame canadians or anyone else.
    slaughter or eating horse meat is an acceptable use, no matter where.
    just help slaughtering animals with dignity.

my idea was:
    maybe s.o. here (in NA) can pass this on to whom it may concern?
    politicians?
    people in a position to question and help HOW this is being done?

i have passed this on to a german radio station and even astrid apples' "eurodressage".
    my intention is to raise attention amongst people in a position who can help.
    as power usually comes with wealth and money.
    people who are involved in sport horses (and dressage) and thus the target group of eurodressage could be helpful distibutors.

i might be wrong and reach noone.
    but doing nothing about it is already a lost chance.
    maybe these posts can help for useful distribution to s.o. who is in a position to help?
    nothing to loose. but a lot to gain if only the slightest chance available...
    Last edited by fannie mae; Feb. 21, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

I am not against slaughterhouse , but the actual management of these horses at auction, in the transportation and at the slaughterhouse is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY. If the concerns that drove the US goverment to close the slaughterhouse had been addressed to change their process instead, we would have made a much bigger step into ending the life of this horses in a more peaceful and human way.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

At the moment there is legislation pending in Oklahoma to permit horse slaughter. If people in Oklahoma would support modern, humane, inspected and well-regulated horse slaughter, some of the problems might end.

But I also understand that the EU has passed strict regulations on what horses can be allowed to be slaughtered to be imported there. I've read that because of rampant drug use at race tracks, TBs cannot be slaughtered for EU meat export.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Feb. 22, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I agree with what the others have said. There has to be a way for everyone to help in some way to improve the conditions of these poor horses! Bringing awareness on the issue is certainly the first step. It's horribly sad the way they these animals are managed from beginning to end. I can't speak for the laws in Mexico but in Canada and the US I'm surprised that there aren't stricter regulations. It can't be legal to treat them like this!

Since horse slaughter isn't allowed in the USA, horses are just collected and sent off to Canada and Mexico, prolonging their unbearable suffering.
    Well done, Humane Society of the United States. You made horse slaughter illegal in this country and pride yourselves of doing so.
    Did you really help those poor animals?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HickoryHill View Post
    Since horse slaughter isn't allowed in the USA, horses are just collected and sent off to Canada and Mexico, prolonging their unbearable suffering.
    Well done, Humane Society of the United States. You made horse slaughter illegal in this country and pride yourselves of doing so.
    Did you really help those poor animals?
    What this video proved to me is that we need properly run slaughter houses HERE, in the USA.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    What this video proved to me is that we need properly run slaughter houses HERE, in the USA.
    Absolutely, we need properly run slaughter houses here, but we also need to stop people from breeding horses indiscriminately. I know people will object but some sort of control like breeding licenses should be required.

Quote Originally Posted by HickoryHill View Post
    Absolutely, we need properly run slaughter houses here, but we also need to stop people from breeding horses indiscriminately. I know people will object but some sort of control like breeding licenses should be required.
    I agree with you in principle, but I also fear it is a slippery slope. Who would be in charge of licensing? When the slaughter houses were first shut down I knew it was going to be bad for the horses. But I also thought it would put many of the "Foal mill" breeders out of business and that the "cream would rise to the top" so to speak. That doesn't seem to have happened. All that we have ended up with is more suffering for the horses.

I believe that if the slaughter houses are re-opened, the cost of hay will keep the numbers of breeders breeding indiscriminately in check. It used to be that a foal was worth as much as a calf and horses would survive on pasture that wouldn't support a cow so were "easier" to raise. Those days are gone.

I also believe that contrary to the Animal Rights Agenda, raising horses is an "honorable" profession. Horses are livestock and if some people want to eat them, that is their business, not mine. But I also believe that we owe ALL SLAUGHTERED animals a quick and HUMANE death. It shouldn't be all that difficult to provide that!