The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I wish I could find someone for $85 each session! I'd have them out once a week for that cheap. It usually runs around $125-$150 and IMO the services I've tried really aren't doing a true cleaning. What does everyone else get for the price they pay?

There's a lady who does a lot of units in our building and I've splurged and had her come in once or twice when I was really swamped with school and the dust was getting out of control. She does an amazing job- dusts all the furniture (and baseboards!), vacuums, mops the kitchen (only mop-able area of the apartment), does dishes if there are any (usually not, that's one thing I'm pretty good about), changes the bed linens (this alone makes her worth it- love coming home to a nicely made bed with clean sheets!) and generally tidies everything. It's a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with a decently sized kitchen and pretty large (as apartments go) living/dining area. She charges $70 and it takes her about 2.5 hours. I tip her per visit, but mostly because I know she has to shuffle her schedule to fit me in, since I'm not a "regular". If I were having her come on a routine schedule I'd probably just tip at Christmas.

Depends on what I need as far as price, if I need "sprucing" + dishes, it's $10/hour, $15/hour if I need more detailed work. I don't tip personally, they don't go through an agency, so they get 100% of the price I pay. As far as dogs, they stay outside, my BC jumps on people and the Labrador is just TOO big to be inside with people.

I supply the cleaning stuff because I use all natural cleaners.

I have had someone clean my house when it was a single independent person. I did not tip. I think I would tip, however, if I had a company come in. I don't think they treat their employees well, but I'm not sure about the exact financial arrangement. I think it would also depend on the size of the company as well.

Gloria: my cleaner is the wife of one of our employees, she does this for extra money.

Cranky: my dogs are crate trained so they go in when she is here

Nicker: basics, bathrooms, dusting, vacuum, wipe down kitchen, mop floors, dishes if there are any(4 bed, 2 full bath) I prefer doing my own sheets
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Our cleaning lady is self-employed and my understanding is that you do not tip business owners, I might if she worked for a service and was paid by the hour. I give her $100 for Christmas.

We pay $80 every other week for a 6 room house. If there is some unusual mess or I ask for something special, like cleaning the oven, I'll write her regular check up from $80 to $100, not really a tip as it's not cash, just an acknowledgement that she has more work to do than usual.

We have two dogs. The old one goes in the basement while she is here, she does not do the basement. The young dog goes to a friend's house. The friend lives a block from my office, so I put the dog in her house and walk her at lunch time.

We have a 2400 sq ft townhouse and have a lady come in weekly for 80.00. She does a good job. We have two cats and a dog that sheds like a fiend so well needed. She does do whatever we ask but I am particular on our bed so I don't have her change it. Our dog loves people so sometimes she will be home with her or at doggy day care. She comes in on Fridays so it starts the weekend off right!

I have tried cleaning "servivces" before and was never happy with the results. I have a wonderful woman whose client I have been for years, so glad I found her. I pay $100 every two weeks. She cleans every room in the house (2000 sq ft plus) except for the two guest bedrooms (which I only clean if they are about to be used). She does a terrific job, two bathrooms, kitchen, master bedroom and 4 other rooms. She has been known to clean up cat puke/poop. I try very hard not to leave any dishes in the sink because she'll wash those too.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Wow times have sure changed since I had my own cleaning business back in the early 80's. I charged 10 dollars an hour. Most clients were 2 to 4 hours.
    I never got tips, But I did get goodies at Christmas! LOL.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

I pay $75 for about 2.5 hours (kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms, one bedrooms; the rest of the rooms I do myself). I tidy up and do all the dishes before she arrives so that things go faster.

As far as my dog goes, I either take him with me when I go or sometimes I will leave him in a room with the door shut. The cleaning lady has the key.

I pay $90 for three hours once per week. Money well spent imo. Mine uses combination of my stuff and her stuff, there are some products she likes specifically for our house and we provide those.

I don't tip as she is self employed. At Christmas she I give her cash ($60 usually). Mine loves dogs and ours just hang around when she is there.

She comes Fridays a.m. and all Thursday night I am chirping at everyone "Come on pick up your stuff! Clean your room! Gail is coming tomorrow" She says that happens at most of the houses she works at, the kids all hate her! lol. She needs a clear surfaces to work with and I would rather she spend her time cleaning than picking up stuff. It is very effective clutter contol!

I love my cleaner, she does a much better job than I would and if she has time she will look around and make decisions about what needs to be done, i.e. sometimes she cleans the fridge, folds some laundry, dust light fixtures or plants etc.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Mine comes every two weeks and charges $75. She gets a nice cash tip for Christmas. She also lets my dog out to go pee so that's an added bonus.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Mine doesnt work for an agency, she works for herself so I don't tip her. On Xmas I gave her $50 (half what I pay every 2 weeks).
    Proper tipping etiquette is the amount of one visit. So if you're paying her $100 per visit, you should be tipping $100 at Christmas. Just sayin'.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I live overseas, and I've always found cleaners who will walk the dog while I am at work. They've all been dog-friendly people, though I bought a dog gate so that if the dog is underfoot, she can put him in a room, close the gate, and everything's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    Those of you who have dogs, how does your cleaning person handle the situation? I've thought about getting someone in to clean, but I don't want to have to give up part of my weekend to supervise. Taking my dogs to doggie daycare on the days a cleaning person would be coming in would be an option except that most days I leave too early and it would also then add an additional cost onto the the cleaning day. Still, might be worth it once a month or so. I am so busy, housecleaning tends to take a back seat and having a cleaning person in could help eliminate some stress.
    Regarding pay- right now I pay 25.00 for cleaning once a week (3 hours for the apartment) plus walking the dog twice a week. I used to work in a very poor country where the cleaner would come three times a week, for about six hours each time and was paid 40.00 per week. Of course my coworkers and driver were shocked that I paid so much and were certain that she'd take advantage of me and steal. If she did, I never noticed, so everything is fine. She was happy, I was happy, and her and her young child could spend the day in an air conditioned place with a TV.

I love coming home to a clean house!!!!!
    ~please recycle~