The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Had to put my cat down today...just a little vent

Sorry, I initially came online looking for something to cheer me up because it was just heartbreaking pulling in from the vet and coming up the walkway and not having my Petey run to greet me and trip me up by rubbing all over my legs and flopping down to roll in front of me. I was never a cat person, I didn't even want the thing to begin with! Family members were moving and had to get rid of him so we reluctantly took him in 4 years ago. Damn cat grew on me and became my favorite animal in the house though! He had the best personality, a real lover, but a scrapper too. He hunted with the best of them; birds, bunnies, mice, moles...they'll all be a little safer now. We never even had to clean a litter box for him, he always went outside to do his business.
    Every morning he was the first one to get up with me. This morning the cat didn't get up on his own though, and no more than 12 hours after we first noticed he was a little lethargic, I rushed him to the local emergency vet clinic because he seemed worse and looked like a different cat overnight. Blood work came back with a creatinine of 21, and a diagnosis of kidney failure at 6 years old. We'll never know if it was chronic without obvious signs, or if it was something like antifreeze poisoning. But he will be greatly missed, and never replaced.

I'm very sorry. It's hard to lose any beloved pet, but I think it's even harder to lose one so young.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry. That really sucks big time.

Im so sorry

Having lost a great barn cat this week as well, I commiserate with you.
    May your cat and mine make friends up there.
    Hugs to you.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Im so sorry! It sounds like he wasnt suffering for long. Poor you, so sad when they go so young.

I am sorry for your loss

I'm so very sorry. Godspeed Petey.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Oh, man, it's tough to replace one who got in your way and made you like him.

He sounds like he was a great one. I hope his performance as a fine ambassador for the cat species will not go wasted in the future. He was sent to do a job, after all.

Best wishes to you, OP.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Little buggers just creep up on your heart

Hugs to you and Godspeed, Petey.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Petey.

More hugs and Godspeed the Petester over the Bridge....got some good ones over there myself!

I am so sorry. Jingles to you, and a good journey to Petey. Like BasqueMom and others I have some over the Bridge myself ...

Bless you for taking Petey in and taking such good care of him.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I'm so sorry. It's hard when it's unexpected. I'm facing this with my older kitty.

Thanks everyone I know so many have experienced similar losses, and sometimes it just feels good to share, so I thank you. Yesterday was extremely hard not seeing Petey in all his usual places (pretty much anywhere I would be) since the whole thing was so sudden, but today is going a little better. The sight of his favorite scratching tree caught my eye on the way out this morning, and I almost lost it again before pulling it together. One of the things I realized is that even though it's "just a cat" and there are worse things going on right now like family members battling cancer or worse, this cat was with me every. single. day. from sun up, then again before sun down. He was part of my daily routine, not someone I had to remember to call or go visit in order to stay close with, and I think that's what makes it such a huge loss.

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to look in a familiar place and not see your friend. God speed, Petey.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Lucky Petey that you decided to keep him, and they sure do work their way into our hearts. I bet God is really appreciating his mouser skills - so sorry for the loss, it just sucks.RIP Petey!

I lost my feline soul mate at 6 as well. I was devastated. Sending you lots of hugs.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

yes, they are part of our daily lives where most of our family and friends are not. It does make for daily loneliness and a lot of adjustment when we lose these best friends. Hoping that your best memories of Petey are surfacing more and more each day and the suddenness of his loss is receding as quickly as possible.

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful friend. I have lost some dear cats and I am sure have greeted him at the bridge.