The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Beet pulp...necessary to feed rice bran too?

I'm exploring the idea of switching my boys over to a beep/TC 30% supplement. The TB is getting 4lbs TC Sr + 1/4lb TC 30% a day. The air fern Arab/QH is on 2lbs TC Sr + 1/2lb TC 30%. They both look great on this mix.

From what I've gathered, beep is roughly 1000 cal/pound. The TC Sr is 1546 cal/pound. I need to check out beep prices in town, but if I can save some money by switching to the beep/30% mixture and my horses would still be healthy, I'd be all about it.

From what I've read/heard, a lot of people feed rice bran along with beet pulp. Is this to balance out the phosphorus/calcium ratio, or is it to add fat? I've always fed a commercial grain, so this is a new concept for me, but I'm definitely interested in exploring this a bit more.

calculate how many lbs of the new ration you will be feeding for each item, then calculate the price/lb based on the feed store's prices where you will be buying. Do the same for the "old" ration your'e feeding now. You'll know which one will save you money.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Keep in mind the TC30 is also lower calories than the TC Sr - probably in the 1300 range.

My guess is you'll spend more feeding the mix, since 4lb Sr isn't just a few calories.

But, the only way to find out is to try it. Weight gain/maintenance is not just about calories. Beet pulp is highly digestible, so often, it seems, a horse does just as well on fewer beep calories than on more "grain" calories, even high quality calories like this Sr.

Because I control and closely monitor my horses, I am not about necessarily about feeding what the packages but what my horses need. I adjust their feed based on season, workload, how they look and sometimes daily based on many factors.

I chose to remove rice bran from their diet to see if it made a difference and yes indeed it did and I put it back into their diet. The bulk of their feed is beet pulp with Phase V textured.

So my opinion is yes, add rice bran with the beet pulp

Hi! I recently (3weeks ago or so) started feeding beep to my aging (16 y/o) gelding because he seems to have a hard time digesting the hay we have (3grain hay). He gets gassy and juicy, gross, I know but not really lose stools on this hay-and he is also the sensitive type to changing weather so I monitor him daily for digestive upsets. I have now added 1 lb (before soaking) beep in the am and pm in replacement of a portion of his hay and he seems to really be able to process this change well! I have had almost no more gas and definitely no more juicy bottom! I think this is going to be a winning recipe for us!

I get kind of fanatical about rice bran since it does such wonders for most of the hard-keeping TBs I've owned.

But as far as balancing out the Ca:P ratio for the high-calcium beet pulp, it's kind of a moot point. Most of the stabilized rice bran products on the market (Equi-Jewel, Max-E-Glo, etc.) also have added calcium for an approximately 1:1 Ca:P ratio. And I wouldn't recommend using unstabilized rice bran-- it goes rancid crazy fast, and the phosphorous levels are VERY high. Too much to worry about when you can just buy the stabilized stuff.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I get kind of fanatical about rice bran since it does such wonders for most of the hard-keeping TBs I've owned.
    And I'm just the opposite--it hasn't done jack for the hard keeping TBs I've had

I use oil if I need fat/concentrated calories.

As always, YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    And I'm just the opposite--it hasn't done jack for the hard keeping TBs I've had

As always, YMMV!
    And I can say, oils of all types have never done as well for me and my horses.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    Because I control and closely monitor my horses, I am not about necessarily about feeding what the packages but what my horses need. I adjust their feed based on season, workload, how they look and sometimes daily based on many factors.

I chose to remove rice bran from their diet to see if it made a difference and yes indeed it did and I put it back into their diet. The bulk of their feed is beet pulp with Phase V textured.

So my opinion is yes, add rice bran with the beet pulp
    Thanks. The Arab/QH I'm not worried about...he gets the Sr just to have some texture and to make him feel special. The TB is pretty normal I think...not a super easy keeper, but not necessarily hard to put weight on either.

I just remember hearing how beep needed rice bran to balance it out, and was confused by that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    But as far as balancing out the Ca:P ratio for the high-calcium beet pulp, it's kind of a moot point. Most of the stabilized rice bran products on the market (Equi-Jewel, Max-E-Glo, etc.) also have added calcium for an approximately 1:1 Ca:P ratio. And I wouldn't recommend using unstabilized rice bran-- it goes rancid crazy fast, and the phosphorous levels are VERY high. Too much to worry about when you can just buy the stabilized stuff.
    Stabilized is different from fortified. Depending on where you are, you can easily find stabilized-only, or both stabilized and fortified. In areas where alf is the common hay, it's much more common to find un-fortified rice bran, so the high phos is good for offsetting the high ca diet. Here on the East Coast, it's much harder to find unfortified rice bran, but that's good for the vast majority of folks using it, because most of us feed all/mostly grass hay and need at least a balanced ca/phos product

1 members found this post helpful.

i find it varies based on the horse - we have some that do well on Senior, some that don't. Some that do well on oil, some that don't. Some that do well on rice bran, some that don't. Some that do well on beet pulp, some that don't. We play around with it until we find something that works for the individual horse, then stick with that until it needs to be changed for one reason or another.

[QUOTE=Bravestrom;

What change did you notice?

[QUOTE=colorfan;6977052][QUOTE=Bravestrom;

What change did you notice?[/QUOTE]

The most noticable difference was the shine on their coat. Also, I have one hard keeper and I noticed a drop in weight. The experiment was a month off of rb - and then when I put them back on a month later the difference was noticable again. Even my husband noticed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

As always, YMMV!
    Same here, and mine's not a particularly "hard" keeper. I find oil or ground flax works best for him.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I feed sugar beet without rice bran. Don't think I can even get it here. Horses are all healthy, fit and happy.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Don't think I can even get it here. )
    Yeah, Saracen's Equi-Jewel is rice bran, and I *think* there are other brands here too. Not tried it myself but someone I know used the Equi-Jewel and her horse looked great. I rate micronised linseed myself.