Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rockin' the short 'do!

Hi all. I have had quite the short hairstyle for a while now, and am loving it. My question is...will the judges care as I move further up in the adult eq divisions? There is no way I can sport the hunter hair; a hairnet would look ridiculous on me with nothing supporting it. Will a judge care that they can see the tops of my ears? Do I need to grow it out or get extensions just to have that perfect hunter hair????
    Please don't hate or discriminate. Chestnut Mares everywhere will thank you.

"Don't let the turkeys get you down."

OMG you are so screwed! Everyone knows you get DQ'ed if you don't have your hair done correctly... that's IF the steward will even allow you in the ring at all!!! You'd better start growing it out right now... in the meantime maybe you can buy a wig....

Seriously, there is no score on the judges card for the riders hair... so long it is neat and tidy the judge will not notice how you wear your hair under your helmet.

16 members found this post helpful.

No need to worry!!!! The judges will not give a hoot about your hair!

1 members found this post helpful.

Short hair for the better part of my life and it has not affected my placings anywhere!

The guys never seem to be judged for unruly hair (anyone remember the 'supercuts' at the 2012 George Morris clinic), so it would be downright unfair to judge a woman for the same style.

Do what you can to tame fly aways and ignore anyone who tells you different

2 members found this post helpful.

When I had short hair for shows I would just put on two hairnets and my helmet, it looked just like having long hair and prevented any short flyaways. I did it mostly for the pictures though, lol I didn't like not seeing a hairnet!!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

fourmares is totally right...you are in big trouble. Why do you think Margie Engle does jumpers?!

When I had short hair I had to use a hairnet or I had 'wings' sticking out. I can't do hunter hair as having the hairnet sit on my ears causes me pain, but I would put the hair net on, gather that hair net (and any hair if it reached) into a pony tail. Held it in place with a hair elastic in a low pony tail, flipped that up, so I could slide my helmet over it to hold it up and under the helmet so it wasn't seen

Seriously?

just use a couple of hair nets, pins, and lots of hair spray. I highly doubt the judges are going to count off for your hair, unless it's incredibly unruly and sticking out all over the place.

I'll be the bad one and say it looks bad when women have hair flopping out - and it DOES look bad when guys have longer hair and do it too (personal preference!), but depends on how short.

This is what I do - get a pair of beige pantyhose, though it looks better if you try to match your hair. One leg pair kind - the knee high sort! Wrap it around your head over your ears where your hairnet would go, and then tie the knot in front, slide around so the knot is at the bottom of your neck. You could also just tie it at the bottom of your neck first, but that has always resulted in some painful hair-included knots for me!

I put my hair net on over top, tie the hairnet and pantyhose knot together, flip up to tuck into helmet, put helmet on and BAM it looks perfecto!

If I were you, I would go to a good beauty supply store and purchase some high quality hair in the color that matches your hair or looks natural. Next stop at Michaels or another craft store and purchase some glue. Arrange hair in helmet to emulate hunter hair. Glue in place. Voila- just put on your helmet for perfect hunter hair every time!!!!!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    If I were you, I would go to a good beauty supply store and purchase some high quality hair in the color that matches your hair or looks natural. Next stop at Michaels or another craft store and purchase some glue. Arrange hair in helmet to emulate hunter hair. Glue in place. Voila- just put on your helmet for perfect hunter hair every time!!!!!
    When DD was younger and doing leadline, she had a pixie, so I bought extensions, fashioned two small braids and sewed them in the liner of her helmet so she could have bows
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

4 members found this post helpful.

Well actually I was joking, but on the other hand.... I'm sure it could be done!!!!

I wonder if the Real Women Ride hairnet would be a good option for short hair?

http://www.eriquestrian.com/

It seems like the pantyhose idea, sorta, without being actual pantyhose

Oh, and you'd better hope they don't announce your faux pas over the loud speakers... I hear they've started doing that at some of the bigger A shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Well actually I was joking, but on the other hand.... I'm sure it could be done!!!!
    It's actually already been done!!

https://www.facebook.com/HelmetHead2011

Called 'Helmet Head' and apparently it looks like they are sold at a few tack shops... Although I am not sure if they are still in business anymore (doesn't look like it based on the lack of activity on their facebook page). I saw that they were one of the sponsors at Horse Shows by the Bay last year; never actually seen one in person or on though.

With the helmets you have these days there's little ears or hair to be seen so I'm not sure why the agony over "perfect hunter hair" sure there are the flyaways but good grief asking if the judges will mark you down for having short hair and perhaps exposed ears..trust me the class is never so close
    Last edited by gottagrey; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM.

I am finding it remarkable that there is so much thought put into perfecting "hunter hair" even when a rider doesn't have enough hair to HAVE hunter hair. I recently chopped all my hair off. One of my favorite things about my new do has been making hair nets a thing of the past.

OP, tame the flyaways with some spit or hair goo, and go ride. Part of the joys of having short hair is not having to fuss over it nearly as much. Enjoy. And give your hair nets away. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I am finding it remarkable that there is so much thought put into perfecting "hunter hair" even when a rider doesn't have enough hair to HAVE hunter hair. I recently chopped all my hair off. One of my favorite things about my new do has been making hair nets a thing of the past.

OP, tame the flyaways with some spit or hair goo, and go ride. Part of the joys of having short hair is not having to fuss over it nearly as much. Enjoy. And give your hair nets away. I did.
    YES!