The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eh, I guess I forget some people don't know Kate and I. We met because we both fell off at a horse show the same day in the same mud pile. She events a 13 hand pony and I ride a 15.2 hand perch cross I bought off craiglist.

We don't get very serious about anything.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes the scribe is the one who writes on the test, but a couple of the judges I've scribed for have told me a description to put at the top of the test. So the GREY being crossed out and FLAXEN TAIL not white comment I find extremely rude, whether it was the scribe or the judge. It's a small schooling show for crissakes! When I take my four-stockings, half bald face, with a couple white patches guy to the local schooling show I hose him off the night before and make sure his face is clean.

The flaxen tail/not white comment is so freaking rude it's hilarious - you just have to laugh that one off - there is no hope !

So technically, when people ask "what IS she ?" I have to tell them the truth - "She's the world's cutest pony" ... what else can I say ?

I do love Po. We get worse and worse and worse at dressage, but better and better and faster at jumping all the things. She's now getting speeding tickets at Novice, and runs her little 13hh pony legs as fast as they will go, and I swear I'm not the only one of us that shouting "Wheeee" when we take a flyer.

It was funny, because usually when we show, the division is full of big brown horses. To cap it all, a couple of months ago, for a laugh, I augmented my field of little 13hh buckskin/liver chestnut/bright apricot dun/flaxen chestnut pony mares ... with One 16.3hh Big Bay TB. Just like everyone else has. And officially named him "Big Brown Horse".

So the one identifier you could possibly choose for Po, that wouldn't single her out at all, would be "Brown"

Hey - do you think maybe it's not actually my scoresheet ? .... hmmm..... the girl who won was on a Brown horse .......... I should try to sneak a peak at hers and see if it says "stinking cute leetle buckskin Poneh"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    I do love Po. We get worse and worse and worse at dressage, but better and better and faster at jumping all the things. She's now getting speeding tickets at Novice, and runs her little 13hh pony legs as fast as they will go, and I swear I'm not the only one of us that shouting "Wheeee" when we take a flyer.
    Okay, the pictures were cute enough and made me squee a little... but now after your description above, I am REALLY wishing I was tiny and could ride your "stinking cute leetle buckskin Poneh"
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

That is a seriously adorable pony!

I went to a dressage schooling show last month with my mare, who is a bright chestnut. Right now, she's clipped for the winter, somewhat that pumpkin-y color, but clearly a chestnut. In the area at the top where is most frequently says something like "chestnut/blaze", was a one word description: "Buff" I'd never seen anyone describe a horse as that color before! I'm guessing the scribe was someone's friend/mom, and a dog person, not so much a horse person

N'awwww ... BUFFF ! That's actually quite precious. I can see that. Like a sort of soft apricot colour.

GutsnGlory - thankyou, I will tell her. She will turn her cute little butt to me and stomp away. It's her way of accepting praise. Unless there are cookies.

2 members found this post helpful.

Maybe the "buff" comment was about how she's nakey for the winter! You know, "in the buff"
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

if it makes her feel any better... my liver chestnut with a star was called a chestnut with socks... i think not.

Well we have only been judged twice.
    The nicest comment was on BN test A "nice" and a 7 for "working canter right lead. We also got "nice but inattentive" for "halt/salute" ????? What did she mean by that? We got a 37.8 on our first time out

The next time we did MUCH worse next time with BN test B: 47.1. The judge wrote the word "tongue" on our score card 6 separate times. And at the end wrote "you can teach her not to put the tongue out" This judge is a local trainer, should I schedule a lesson to "teach her not to put her tongue out?" Or just drive the girl down to Tijuana and have the tongue cut off in a tequila saturated (for all parties involved) back alley rusty razor blade style procedure? Ha ha. The funniest thing was the judge said as we left "Did you know he's sticking his tongue out?" Uhm.... she's a girl!!!! I should have said "Well I think she's doing it because she doesn't like you too much."

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Well we have only been judged twice.
    The nicest comment was on BN test A "nice" and a 7 for "working canter right lead. We also got "nice but inattentive" for "halt/salute" ????? What did she mean by that? We got a 37.8 on our first time out

The next time we did MUCH worse next time with BN test B: 47.1. The judge wrote the word "tongue" on our score card 6 separate times. And at the end wrote "you can teach her not to put the tongue out" This judge is a local trainer, should I schedule a lesson to "teach her not to put her tongue out?" Or just drive the girl down to Tijuana and have the tongue cut off in a tequila saturated (for all parties involved) back alley rusty razor blade style procedure? Ha ha. The funniest thing was the judge said as we left "Did you know he's sticking his tongue out?" Uhm.... she's a girl!!!! I should have said "Well I think she's doing it because she doesn't like you too much."
    I've gotten similar halt comments before. It usually means that your horse halted straight and square but then stopped paying attention and was looking around instead of staying on the bit.

As far as the tongue comments go, some judges don't care and some are ridiculous about it. Most horses that do that can't be fixed, its just something they do. The judges that mark down for it usually take it as a sign of the horse not paying attention but in my experience that is hardly ever the case. I think its silly for the judge to mark down for it if everything else is good, and even if they want to mark it down, they should do it in the collectives instead of knocking every movement for something you probably can't control.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I'm just sitting here thinking "you guys get descriptions of your horse on your tests?"

Never seen it here.

Oh - super cute pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    And at the end wrote "you can teach her not to put the tongue out" This judge is a local trainer, should I schedule a lesson to "teach her not to put her tongue out?"
    The dressage rules are pretty clear on sticking the tougue out.
    DR116.2.a. Putting out the tongue, ...must be taken
    into account by the judges in their marks for every movement concerned, as
    well as in the collective mark for “submission”.
    So they need to mark it down BOTH on the movement AND on the collectives.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    The dressage rules are pretty clear on sticking the tougue out.

So they need to mark it down BOTH on the movement AND on the collectives.
    Didn't know that it was explicitly stated in the rules. Good to know, thanks Janet!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Yes, Yes, but JANET !!!!..... There MUST be a rule

PNY 8675309 : scribes must write "Errmahgaaard, what a cute Poneh" when they see the world's cutest pony
    No ?

Anyway, thinking about it, I am probably the world's most annoying scribe. On the identifying features line, I think I wrote "17.5 Albion SLK, slightly wide", and "Bates Innova - wow, big Blocks" etc. In Purple Pen. So yeah, slightly irritating.

I've been in the position of getting a test back, reading the comments and scores and going totally WTF, and then looking at the descriptive note and realizing there was a test paper screw up and this test didn't go with me horse. So when I scribe, I always try to fill in the descriptive comments. But it is harder than you think. I've taken to keeping binoculars in my scribe bag to help me read numbers for competitors who never come near the judge's booth, or never do so with the number side showing. When it's foggy, or when they've been clipped, it can sometimes be hard to figure out just what color the horse is. An experienced scribe would surely have put down "pony" as part of the description for the OP. I've never had a judge pay attention to what I put down. I find "brown" for that pony pretty funny, but for those who are getting actually irritated, sheesh! Sit in a scribe's seat a few times and realize that between the time you have made sure you have the competitor's number correct and that you are writing on the corresponding test sheet, and the time the competitor has entered the ring and you are getting the judge's comments and scores recorded accurately, there is sometimes a pretty tiny window for getting the description in and it's not something to get insulted over if it's not the description you personally would have picked. Heck, I know someone who describes one of her horses as a gray buckskin pinto. I promise you that no scribe on earth would look at her horse and come up with that one....
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

bay, tiny star. I have dozens of tests with this same description.