The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Identifying characteristics on your dressage test...

SO... KateWooten is sitting here on my couch, telling me a story about how sad she was to get the comments back on her last dressage test...

She rode Her TinyPony, a 13 hand golden dappled buckskin with a mohawk... and at the top of her test...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...04585389_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...62715590_n.jpg

The description was...

Guess, now...

Brown.

I mean, like seriously, ... how does this identify her, amongst a field of TWENTY-SEVEN Big Brown eventer horses ????

I mean, really.

How about cute, little, shiny, metallic ...

2 members found this post helpful.

Oi. Anyway.

It's a Po Hawk.

I had "square tail" once, which I assumed was referring to the banged tail. I thought everyone banged the tail. The other indentifier was, yes, brown!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Brown seems to be the identifier of choice because I've gotten that with one of my horses. Except the judge all added "big head". KateWooten, your pony is adorable and definitely not just "brown"!!

I had a friend whose horse had a section of his mane eaten by a pasture buddy. The judge wrote: Brown, rubbed out braids

My guy is very distinctive with his big white blaze and four socks, so we hardly ever have that problem!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Oh I had a wonderful comment from a particularly nasty local judge. At the top of the page (now mind you this was a small schooling show and I was riding the ONLY grey horse there....) at the top of the page she had written GREY and crossed it out very boldly and under neath wrote "FLAXEN TAIL not white" exactly like that. I was mortified. I didn't even read the rest of the test. The tests were left out on a table in the pile and everyone could see it, as it was written in huge black letters across the top of the page. It was not a joke, there was no smiley face, she was definitely making a statement. At the bottom, instead of commenting on the performance, she wrote something like "pay attention to turnout" or something. You know, I knew right then she wasn't really watching and judging my test -- she was trying to be some sort of Lord and King of Dressage...and she was going to Tell Those Dirty Eventers Off.

I take pride in my turnout and have always been careful to present a clean horse to a judge, even at a small local schooling show. I am not sure now if I had a flaxen tail or white tail that day, but I can tell you this -- I don't show in front of this witch EVER, and my horses tail is snowy white anytime I take him anywhere.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1154201...eat=directlink - flaxen tail link. Yes at least one photo where it is not snowy white. Admit defeat!
    Last edited by retreadeventer; Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Add link
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

r00d!! Cute pony! Mine were always "cute bay" or something similar. Your grey pony is also very nice what a nasty judge.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

From one buckskin owner to another, I would be crushed.

Your pony is SERIOUSLY PRECIOUS!!!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.

It might be the scribe who wrote the description.

At least someone wrote something. I've attempted to score tests where there is confusion about which horse the sheet belongs to & the descriptions are missing.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    It might be the scribe who wrote the description.

At least someone wrote something. I've attempted to score tests where there is confusion about which horse the sheet belongs to & the descriptions are missing.
    Yep! It is usually the scribe that fills in the description field. This thread makes me feel better as a scribe - I have always worried that I am too descriptive. I usually try to distinguish the exact color - no 'brown' here! And all major markings I can see (sometimes even minor ones - such as slight roaning of the flanks, belly spots, etc.) I think I am good to continue as is for the future, though

Signed,
    The over descriptive scribe who rides a bright bay with crooked star/stripe/snip combo and two left socks
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

It is ALWAYS the SCRIBE who is checking the numbers and putting the color/markings on the test while the judge is usually writing the comments for the general impressions on the last test. Be irritated with the scribe, not the judge. (It' to prevent accidental mixing up of tests.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

As a scribe it seems like I write a lot of "bay - no white". But it helps when someone picks up your test and leaves you with the wrong one and you can tell them your chestnut mare with star is YOUR test, and hers is GREY even if she forgot her number.

My gray/white mare once got "white with scars" - which was true- she had a fine coat and her lifetime of dings showed prominently as black against her silver coat - she didn't go fleabitten, and could be blindingly white if I washed her enough.

I was a jump judge one time on a blazing sunny day. With sunglasses on, every horse looked bay and every rider looked like they were wearing green. I think I was most of the way through a division where I kept writing "bay/green" when I realized that 1) it was the sunglasses, and 2) the PINNEYS were green and huge, so I couldn't tell what they were wearing underneath. I'm sure there were people who looked at their score sheets and thought "huh?"

That pony is cute as heck & his color is gorgeous!

cutest pony ever!!!! I sooooo wish I could ride one like him!!!! Damn...almost enough of a reason to have a kid to live through
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My horse is 17.2 on a short day and a classic dark bay. He does bleach out in the summer, I will grant you that, but he still comes equipped with 4 big white socks and a blaze.
    Dressage judge at a summer event ran into my dressage coach later that week, and said "I had your student in my ring on Sunday, on a little buckskin."

I had been positively floating all week because she had given me a 10 for my entrance down center line (not to worry, the rest of the test, very much not 10s). This comment made me seriously question her vision. Plus, I have video of this test. I am trotting down center line. It's fine. It's straight. He's quite the handsome fellow. But, still. Trotting. In a line. Nothing 10 about it. Good thing we don't take this stuff too seriously!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    It is ALWAYS the SCRIBE who is checking the numbers and putting the color/markings on the test while the judge is usually writing the comments for the general impressions on the last test. Be irritated with the scribe, not the judge. (It' to prevent accidental mixing up of tests.)
    (psst... I'm pretty sure this whole thread was started out of good humor, not because anyone was irritated at anyone.)

"KateWooten is sitting here on my couch, telling me a story about how sad she was to get the comments back on her last dressage test... "
    I also took this to mean someone was seriously bummed out. Missed the humorous part I guess...

Super cute brown pony though
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

When I first clicked the link to see the picture of the pony, I just about died. That pony is SO CUTE (!!!).

But other than that... I know they could be in a time crunch, but couldnt they take the time to at least describe the color? Huh...
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~