The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gassy in the indoor/gassy on Robaxin?

My horse gets gassy every winter in the indoor arena, as soon as we move indoors and stop using the outdoor. She's never abnormally gassy outdoors.

Now we've added Robaxin to her maintenance (she's wicked tight this winter) and she seems even more gassy. She's pooping fine and doesn't seem stressed otherwise.

Any ideas about this?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

i have nothing helpful to say....perhaps she's trying to communicate how she feels about being ridden in the indoor.

I would look at what changes in her diet in winter versus the move to the indoor, or perhaps consider ulcers (stomach or hind gut) due to management/turnout changes in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I would look at what changes in her diet in winter versus the move to the indoor, or perhaps consider ulcers (stomach or hind gut) due to management/turnout changes in winter.
    Actually, the only thing that changes in the winter is the use of the indoor all the time. Her diet is the same; she gets very little grazing when there's grass, because of a laminitis scare and because she's a middle-aged Morgan. Same turnout (~6 hours per day in individual dirt T/O with horses over the fence), same hay (first cut mixed grass, no alfalfa), same "grain" (Blue Seal Sentinel Performance LS, about 1 1/2 quarts per day split into two feedings), same amount of riding (5-6 days a week, for 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on what we're doing -- low level dressage and trail riding).

This happens every winter but it's worse this winter. Today was especially bad.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    i have nothing helpful to say....perhaps she's trying to communicate how she feels about being ridden in the indoor.
    Oh I am SURE that's part of it At the moment we have no other choices...

Could she be stressed? Nerves don't always show themselves with spooking. Especially horses who internalize their stress.

Stomach or hind gut ulcers due to stress?

Something to do with the shorter days?

Or the cold?

Something weird in the footing of the indoor that she's either breathing in, absorbing through her skin or ingesting?

Do you feed treats, or does someone in the barn feed treats to all the horses? Perhaps they are different?

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini1220 View Post
    Could she be stressed? Nerves don't always show themselves with spooking. Especially horses who internalize their stress.
    My assumption all along has been stress. It's a lovely, well-lit, large indoor with good footing and nothing terribly spooky about it, but a lot of the horses just don't like it for some reason.

Stomach or hind gut ulcers due to stress?

Something to do with the shorter days?

Or the cold?

Something weird in the footing of the indoor that she's either breathing in, absorbing through her skin or ingesting?

Do you feed treats, or does someone in the barn feed treats to all the horses? Perhaps they are different?
    Hm. Would hind gut ulcers show up and fade away so quickly? She does get ridden in the indoor at other times of the year, but not constantly, and it's not one ride in there that makes her gassy; it's when we move in more or less full time for the winter. Also, oddly enough, she's at her, um, gassiest during the lesson we take every Saturday... which is not a high-stress thing compared to the dressage lesson on Thursday! Saturday trainer has taken to joking that she doesn't like him

She not the slightest bit girthy, sensitive on her flanks, etc.

She doesn't get treats from anyone except me, because of her being a middle-aged Morgan and at risk for IR, Cushings etc. From me she gets Beet-e-Bites, a low NSC beet pulp based treat, and a very occasional sugar free peppermint.

She gets her hay either on the ground when she's out, or in a NibbleNet most of the time when she's in. She eats very quickly so the NibbleNet slows her down a bit.

More notes... manure completely normal, no diarrhea ever. But she doesn't like to "go" in the indoor, or the outdoor for that matter. She does as soon as she's back in her stall or paddock, and always on trail rides or on the trailer. So is she gassy in the indoor because she's "holding it in?" Silly pony.

Do you feed those sugar free peppermints more in winter, perhaps? The artificial sweetener in those can cause a laxative effect. While I wouldn't expect a couple, or even a handful, to cause notable diarrhea, it might just be enough to cause some gas.

There's also some amount of bacteria--probiotics--that she would pick up off the grass in the summer, even if she's on very limited grazing. Would be interesting to see if an added probiotic would be helpful?

There's also some amount of bacteria--probiotics--that she would pick up off the grass in the summer, even if she's on very limited grazing. Would be interesting to see if an added probiotic would be helpful?
    It's worth $12 to try, so I will (thank you SmartPak for auto-ship free shipping to my barn!)

On the peppermints: she was gassy in 2011 and 2012, too, before I made dietary changes. I'm diabetic, so I know too much about the side effects of sugar-based alcohol sweeteners. Ick! I'd rather eat sugar; sugar alcohols are actually just as bad for my blood glucose....

are you sure you just notice the gas more due to enclosed space?

I kid.

Perhaps the acoustics are better in the indoor!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.