The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Have you ever seen a D-ring bit break?

I was longeing my mare today and she was very calm. Trotting along and her bit BROKE. At first, I was trying to figure out how in the world the bit came out of her mouth. Then I thought the bridle broke. After she stopped, I realized the bit broke. The "pin" that holds ring to the mouthpiece sheared off. I posted a pic on Facebook and so far not a single person has ever seen it happen before.

And of course I have a show this weekend and no tack stores within easy driving distance! Her bit is a French link and the feed store did have a D-ring with an oval link. Got that to see if she is okay with it. If not, she will have to show in a loose ring French link.

Edited to add: Bit was only 2 years old. And thank goodness I was just longeing when it happened. Can't imagine what would have happened if I had been riding and jumping! When I called trainer to tell her, we were laughing about what in the world would have happened if the bit broke during a round at the show.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

That's very weird. The only time I've ever been concerned with a bit breaking was at the joint of a very old french link that I had. The metal had just worn away and was very very thin.

Glad you mare took it well (by the sounds of it she didn't mind). Hopefully the other bit will work well.

Good luck with the show!!! Maybe there will be a tack store there so you can find a new one!

Thats weird- I've seen bits that have been left outside for too long (3 years, actually) that rusted through, but to just break? Huh.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

hey, it could be worse. You could be riding in the Olympics.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Things break, it happens. Probably had something ever so slightly faulty with it there that slowly worked it's way through, or something. Glad nothing bad happened when it broke.

Yes. Seen it. While riding the horse, no less. Jumping down a line, tried to steady for the turn after, and there was nothing...just bit dangling as it had broke (and it wasn't like we were having a tug of war, just a normal slow down pull). So we kept cantering around the ring, trainer on the ground was like WTH?! and I finally stopped him by reaching down and pulling on the standing.

It was a fairly new Myler snaffle, as I recall. So not a cheapie. I also expected to find the bridle was broken, but it was the actual metal bit. Good thing he had a standing on...I'd probably still be cantering if not...

2 members found this post helpful.

Ah, glad I am not the only person it ever happened to! I found it odd but not earth shattering. But, I have had life-long horse people post on Facebook that they have never seen a bit break like that. It was weird but my mare was unfazed. Raised her head but stayed on the longeing circle. We had to finish longeing in her halter.

horsepoor - I probably would have had a heart attack if it would have happened to me on course! Smart thinking to use the martingale to stop. Of course, I probably would have fallen off trying to do that!

I watched it happen while a fellow boarder was schooling her horse o/f....relatively new bit, broke as she tried to steady her horse after the fence. Bit snapped out of his mouth and smacked him on the cheek and he panicked....she managed to stop him by reaching up and grabbing the caveson. My respect for her tripled that day....I would have just bailed!

And this was not at a joint or anything. Bit just broke on one of the solid metal parts. Really, really weird.

i've never seen one break before, that's so unusual. Now I'm gonna be thinking about this for the next couple of weeks whenever i ride....

1 members found this post helpful.

There was a recall on certain Happy Mouth bits a while ago for this reason. They were breaking.

Happened to Mclain and Sapphire in Athens in the individual finals IIRC.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Yes, I had a Weaver copper D ring jointed snaffle break in my horses mouth as we were galloping out in a field and it caused a serious accident because my horse panicked, bucked and sent me somersaulting off. I landed on a rock, smashed my helmet, probably am only alive/not brain dead today because I was wearing a helmet. I had a very nasty concussion and my horse sustained lacerations to the inside of his mouth. He was out of work for a few weeks.

I discovered that the bit broke due to an air bubble in the middle of the mouth piece, where the two halves had been put together. What's worse is that I went back to the tack store and told them what happened and they looked at their stock. EVERY SINGLE Weaver jointed copper snaffle they had, no matter the cheekpiece style, had this defect. They pulled them all off the shelves immediately and I dealt with the company. The company refused to recall the bits.

If your bit was made by Weaver, PM me...

ETA I had the bit for only one day and the day it broke was the first time I had used it. I was not hauling on my horses face, just re-balancing him as he got a bit heavy while cruising along. The store manager was able to take one of the bits from his shelf and snap it easily in his hands, like one might snap a pretzel stick.

Wow - how scary. Glad you had your helmet on and that you and your horse recovered.

This was a Centaur bit. If it was really new, I might try to return it but it was 2 years old. I have bits that are a LOT older than that but I am sure I have gotten my $30 or $40 out of it.

Yes, I have--twice. Both were very early models of Myler mullen mouths, and they both failed at the swivel in the ceter of the mouthpiece. One failed while I was longeing the horse, and the other failed while I was doing hill work (different horse, several years later). The longeing horse got away and ran all over the farm. On the other one, I grabbed the caveson and he pulled up.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    Yes, I have--twice. Both were very early models of Myler mullen mouths, and they both failed at the swivel in the ceter of the mouthpiece.
    Interesting that it happened with a Myler for you as well as me. I don't remember for sure where the break was on mine, but I'm thinking it was near the outside dee ring somehow. I'll have to ask my trainer as he likely remembers -- it was his bit and he griped for days about the cost (but take it back to the tack store and demand a refund...no...he'd rather just gripe...!).

ETA - I would have replaced it for him if it had been my horse, but I was doing a favor riding a training horse, so didn't think it was up to me!

I have had the ring of an eggbut snaffle break - it was actually my son riding his big new mare - lucky it was in the arena and she chose that moment to be a good girl.