The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

People who apparently never learned how to use cruise control! I can't go anywhere on I-95 without playing leap-frog with some idiot who can't manage to keep their car at a single speed.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

3 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    I will add to the waste part. My SO works in the bakery of a supermarket. They bag up the leftover donuts, muffins and bagels from the day before and throw them away!!!! There is a rescue mission right down the street that I am sure would appreciate any day old bakery items. Grrrrrr
    Why don't you call the mission and let them know?
    Maybe if they ask, they leftovers can be donated rather than tossed.

I used to get a huge donation of coffee from a local Starbucks for the pantry I volunteer at - all the leftover ground coffee from the day before in a 30gal bag.
    They jokingly called it Mission Blend and our clients were always thrilled to get coffee.
    A bakery near the pantry would call us to pick up their day-old stuff too - very nice artisan breads & pastries - a real treat for someone on a budget.

I can list a whole bunch of little annoyances but when I reflect they are really no Big Deal.
    I'm in my Happy Place today.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    People who apparently never learned how to use cruise control! I can't go anywhere on I-95 without playing leap-frog with some idiot who can't manage to keep their car at a single speed.
    OMG YES!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I only have one. Having a good conversation with someone and mid sentence they pull out their cell phone to either text or send a message. Its rude people and makes me not want to talk to you. So I walk away!
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    The automated phone system the health insurance company uses. It just drives me up the wall. I would be so much more pleasant once I got to talk to someone if I didn't have to listen to an automated voice tell me how I should use the website. If I could find it on the website, I wouldn't be calling.
    Aaaaccckkkk!!!!!
    (so much for my Happy Place)
    THIS!
    Are you by any chance referring to the Great & Glorious Anthem (may they rot in H-E-doublehockeysticks)?
    The damned AVR (Automated Voice Response) system is one of the worst Customer Service ideas E.V.E.R.
    Between that & outsourcing to 3rd World barely-English-speaking reps is IMO just a way to make you go away.
    I wonder what percentage of callers are so frustrated they give up?

Yeah - I need a perky autovoice telling me how wonderful the website is when the reason I'm calling is because the website:
    A) is down (again)
    B) does not contain the information I need
    C) has incomplete or insufficient information
    D) is just plain useless

Even with the recent commercials spoofing the system:
    "Hello, this is Peggy"<bearded Euro-dude
    or the Discover "We treat you like you treat you"
    The AVR worshippers just DGI.
    Or more likely they got duped into spending lots of $$$ to install the system, so in the usual Corporate bumble, will not give it up.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Stink bugs.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

5 members found this post helpful.

When horse people call it "kissing spines". DAMMIT. Horses have ONE spine. IT'S KISSING SPINE. Singular.
    "Lymes Disease". LYME! Singular!

"Ferrier" What on God's green Earth is a FERRIER. It is a fArrier. A. A. A.

5 members found this post helpful.

Chewing loudly.
    Licking fingers.
    Walking slowly.
    Applying nail polish on a plane.
    Putting the armrest up on airplane seats.
    Replying to every facebook ad from companies asking for free samples or coupons.
    Facebook statuses.
    Duck smiles.
    Taking pictures of yourself in the car.
    Non-brushed hair as a fashion statement.

I could go on all day. I'm a very irked person...

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I hate cruise control. I know full well how to use it but I prefer not to. When I'm driving I want to be in control of everything single thing about the process. That being said you'd have a hard time identifying me as a cruise control hater. I make it a point to keep my speed at a constant rate unless I'm passing or need to adjust my speed for some other reason. Now the people who put on their cruise control and then make a "game" of seeing how long they can go without touching the brake? They'd drive me crazy but I usually just pass them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    "Lymes Disease". LYME! Singular!

"Ferrier" What on God's green Earth is a FERRIER. It is a fArrier. A. A. A.
    I'm right there with you on Lyme.

However, you may have to let ferrier go, as it is actually historically correct....ferrous=iron, so a ferrier is an ironworker, which they are.

new (and unnecessary) words.

a local newscaster recently: the "dissolvement" of someone's marriage

a magazine on a recent piece of legislation: "opposers" and supporters

several people where i work: "abolishment" of various laws (this one's apparently real, but what's wrong with "abolition"? )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Chewing ice.
    Awful drivers.
    People who cannot say "Please", "Thank you" or "Excuse me".
    Over-talkers and interrupters.
    People who are rude to service/hospitality staff.

Exploitative girly girls. You know the ones I mean- "Oh, I can't POSSIBLY assemble this three piece coffee table/carry that box/ start my own car in the cold! I am a delicate flower! Random male, won't you do it for me as I am sooooooo helpless?"

And along those lines, DudeBros. You know the ones I mean.

From work- if there is a crowd at the bar and you have had to wait a few minutes for me to take your order, do not answer "Um." when I ask what you would like. Do not then turn to your entourage and say "Hey, what are you guys drinking? Should we do a shot? I'm gonna get a beer. What kind of beer do you have? Hey, you guys want to do car bombs? Where's Joe? Did he stay at the other place? Hey, they have a lot of scotch. Can we do a tasting or something? Do you guys do that? What's the pink stuff, is that good? I dunno, make me something fun."

ETA: Not necessarily BAD pet owners- that's a MAJOR issue, not a minor one- but the decent-to-good owners who cannot accept that their dog is a DOG, or horse is a HORSE, cat is a CAT, what have you.
    Last edited by Rubyfree; Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Hmm, well a few of mine include:
    People who don't take care of their pets or get rid of them for the smallest reason.
    When they leave their dogs in a crate or in the backyard all day, or they make their 5th grade son take full responsibility for the dog and don't help him at all, when they don't feed their dogs enough (my sister is currently feeding her neighbor's dog because she has gotten skinny because she isn't allowed in the house and it's winter!!), people whose dogs get out ALL the time and they don't give a crap! Well then don't get a dog to begin with!!!

It also bugs me when you do a lot for someone (constantly helping them with projects, etc) but they are "sick" when you need help with something!

people who are constantly complaining about their life like its a contest to see who has it worse..

I guess those are the main ones

Loosing: the word is losing
    definately: the word is definitely
    gilding: the word is gelding

Drivers who run up on your butt and tailgate, when both lanes on either side of you (going down or up I-75) are empty! They will sit on your butt for an extremely long time. If you change lanes, then they will blow past you. Why can't they just change lanes and pass you? They will do this when you are pulling a horse trailer, too. Not to bash men, but the majority of the folks who do this are men. What is up with that?

Folks who do not "take charge of the intersection" when making a left hand turn. You do not have to sit behind the white line. It is the law, in most states, that you can move up into the intersection, which will allow more cars to make the turn.

Broken turn signals. There must be a whole lot of them, because I rarely see them used.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Hate when I'm just talking to myself/the horse/thinking out loud, and someone near me asking "what'd you say?", "what was that?". I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU. Really, this just bothers me because I'm thinking of one person in particular...

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Parents in the indoor during their kids lessons, constantly shouting "squeeze her", "don't let her stop", "use the crop", ad nauseum.
    Every time I read stuff like this I am so grateful for having the parents I have, who would take me to lessons (well, Mom would, Dad had to work, but when we were in 4-H he'd take a week off to be at Fair helping all week) for whatever it might be and then just sit and watch (or read a book, or cross-stitch, or whatever.)

Peeve: People who do five under in the right lane--until you get in the left lane to pass, and then they creep their speed up until you have to to do 80 to get in front of them.

1. People who have no airplane manners. This includes taking off your shoes, applying too much parfum, farting, trying to steal my window seat when you clearly have the middle seat and rushing from the back of the plane when the plane lands thinking they should be the first off.

2. When someone says "what?" out of habit when they clearly heard me causing me to have to repeat myself.

3. People taking no ownership for their actions

oh, one more...

"Sharing" every political post you think is great on Facebook. Can't you just "like" it so it's not in my news feed every 5 minutes? Don't force your politics down my throat, geez!

3 members found this post helpful.

When I say Thank you to someone and the response is:
    No worries (?!)
    I do not understand this. I'm not worried - I am expressong gratitude for your assistance.
    Weird.
    On the conversational topic - when there are two couples sitting around (I am in this situation frequently) and you end up with two converstaions going on at once.
    For example the two guys are talking and the woman starts talking to the other woman. Drives. me. batty. I CANNOT listen to two conversations st the same time!

People who use the toilet seat covers and don't make sure they flush.

What makes you so special that you can't touch the potty, but expect someone else should have to touch your potty protector?

In general if you use a potty you should make sure evidence of your use is gone before you leave (once in a blue moon there may be a hard to remedy situation and I understand that.)