The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog is not really eating...

My collie-shepherd mix has been off her feed, for about two weeks now... (I have a vet appt for her tomorrow, looking for suggestions of possible questions for the vet also)

She was usually the easy dog (we have two), does well on most good quality food. We had to switch her a few times since the Diamond recalls last year, without problems, until lately.

She just won't eat from her bowl. Gets really excited as always at meal time, but then just stares at her food, like its not what she expected... When told to eat it, will unenthusiastically finish half...

I tried to mix in baby formula (we have an infant), since I add water to her food anyways, and it helped for a few days. Until today.

She used to love "human food" leftovers too, but now won't eat carrots or even a muffin. This is a rescue dog that used to eat from trash cans.

Her attitude hasn't changed. Still kinda hyper and easily excitable. She is about six, but not sure on that. We adopted her five years ago. I don't think she has a blockage, she goes fine.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ariel.damon View Post

Her attitude hasn't changed. Still kinda hyper and easily excitable. She is about six, but not sure on that. We adopted her five years ago. I don't think she has a blockage, she goes fine.

Any suggestions?
    have you tried boiled, lightly salted chicken? Or hamburger?

if not try one of those...straight. No rice, no dog food, just the meat. If she eats that, then it could be that she's not hungry enough.

if she turns her nose up at that, I'd worry a bit more.

Have you tried raising her bowl?

Dogs with arthritis in their neck often don't like to eat from the ground, but raising the bowl up several inches helps.

If she won't eat from a raised bowl or from your hand, I would take her to the vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ariel.damon View Post
    My collie-shepherd mix has been off her feed, for about two weeks now... (I have a vet appt for her tomorrow, looking for suggestions of possible questions for the vet also)

She was usually the easy dog (we have two), does well on most good quality food. We had to switch her a few times since the Diamond recalls last year, without problems, until lately.

She just won't eat from her bowl. Gets really excited as always at meal time, but then just stares at her food, like its not what she expected... When told to eat it, will unenthusiastically finish half...

I tried to mix in baby formula (we have an infant), since I add water to her food anyways, and it helped for a few days. Until today.

She used to love "human food" leftovers too, but now won't eat carrots or even a muffin. This is a rescue dog that used to eat from trash cans.

Any suggestions?
    My dogs like cooked oatmeal with canned dog food/hamburg/chicken mixed in when they are a bit "off" their appetite. I've found that the most expensive/top of the line dog food is not the food my dogs prefer. I have dogs who prefer certain bowls...some don't like steel, others don't like ceramic. Too bad they can't talk and tell us what they want!! Good luck.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I was going to suggest raising her bowl like simkie suggested. Had a dog that actd excited about eating, but would just look at the bowl and not eat. Went to vet, and they suggested raising bowl. It worked.

Not to alarm you at all, but that's very similar to how my girl with atypical Addison's started out. Although, I read that in general most dogs deal with that well, mine was an oddball. Fervently hoping it's nothing serious!
    Quarry Rat

How are her teeth?

I'll try to address your suggestions: Her teeth look fine. I don't think she has arthritis, but I could try raising her bowl anyways.
    She will eat cooked chicken breast, but she doesn't want it if mixed with oatmeal.

She does eat. But not like she used to. Before this started, this dog never turned her nose up at anything eatable. If I didn't know her well, I'd just say she isn't hungry enough. But I know her pretty well, she used to eat everything, even stuff she didn't really like (just so the other dog didn't get it instead)

I read somewhere that first sign of cancer is not being hungry. That's why I'm worried. Is that even true?

I don't really know what to tell the vet today, cause she does eat, just not as well as she used to....

please let us know what the vet says. I think, based on the vague symptoms, you need bloodwork.

Sorry to hear that your dog isnt eating. Yes, decreased appetite is generally the first sign that something isnt right. Doesnt mean cancer, but its certainly a possibility. Your vet will probably want to do a full physical exam, bloodwork and based on abdominal palpation/thoracic auscultation abdominal/thoracic radiographs. Really, it could be anything from a simple infection to something very sinister. Diagnostics will very likely be needed.

Jingles for your dog!!

If you're headed to the vet other ideas may be unnecessary, but...my vet had me put my ole Border/Jack on Red Cell for dogs and that has really perked up her appetite and energy level.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

The vet did a full physical exam. Did not find anything abnormal. In fact, he said her teeth look great and she is very alert and hyper (her typical collie self). She gained five lbs, which is very strange to me. She hadn't gained any weight in five years. Per vet, her weight is at a very good point though. I personally like dogs a little on the lean side.

I am starting to think this dog is just being picky about food. As weird as that is for her.

The vet did find a chipped front tooth. But he said this would not contribute to a decreased appetite. He did offer full blood work. I may do that if the dog gets more weird about eating. But she ate fine today....

Thanks for all your suggestions.