The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sore throat for 6 days (two copays later, still sick)

I've been sick since Valentine's Day (last Thursday) with a sore throat and nasal congestion. Was up all night Saturday night with my mare who foaled at 4AM (yes I was ready to kill her.) Since then I''ve gotten tons of rest, I've tried every over the counter medicine I can find with little or no good results.

Went in for a strep test on Monday. Negative and they sent me on my way without my seeing any providers. I went in this morning, paid another $25 and they told me to get 12-hour Sudafed from the pharmacy.

Now I have no voice. My throat still hurts. I still feel like I'm getting an ear infection even though they pooh-poohed THAT as well. I'm coughing up green mucus or just having coughing fits. In short, I am not a happy camper.

Any thoughts? Meds I have taken: Zyrtec-D. Nyquil. Ibuprofen. Sudafed. Chloraseptic lozenges. AllerFed. Tylenol Sore Throat. I can get some of these to dull the pain for about two hours, but that's all. Can't sleep at night for more than 3 hours at a time.

Help.

Sorry for all the whine. I HATE being sick and I hate sore throats worse than anything.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I got two major bacterial sinus infections at the end of last/beginning of this year. For my last one, the symptoms came backwards - chest pain/throat pain first and heavy fever.

When I went to my (now new!) doctor, I was diagnosed with a severe bacterial sinus infection and got some serious antibiotics.

No real advice, since I was on a Rx medication. It took a good 2+ weeks to get rid of my cough after ending my antibiotics.

My dr. did recommend some sort of mucinex (sp?) if I couldn't sleep due to coughing.

I would give mucinex a shot and maybe some SMZs just in case,

Do you have urgent care facilities where you are? If so, I would go to one and get a second opinion.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Sounds like a sinus infection. I always reach for the liquid mucinx stuff for cough congestion and phlegm loosening and steal SMS from the vet kit since they are the exact same ones the doctor hives you

Mucinex is wonderful ... no drowsies, no hyperness, it does what they say.

I've had this for a few days now. I'm doing Mucinex, my netti pot, and ginger tea for the throat. I never go to the doc for a sinus/ ear infection, I'm allergic to antibiotics and they don't work half the time anyway.

Ginger Tea - measurements are approximate:

Take about a finger's length of fresh ginger. Peel, slice in thin slices, put in a pot with about 1 1/2 qts of water. Add about a dozen whole cloves. Some strips of fresh lemon peel are good too if you have them.

Bring to a boil, simmer about 15 minutes. The ginger should turn translucent. Add your favorite tea bags, about 3 (green or black), let step to desired strength. Add local honey to taste (but at least 1/4 cup), and you can drink this hot or cold.

Seriously, this is the one thing that helps my sore throat that isn't like chewing on candy all day.

Hope you feel better !

time for a new doctor.

I also want to threw in Thyme as tea for loosening crud.
    about a teaspoon per cup of boiling water, the stuff from the spice rack works well in a pinch. cover with a saucer for about five minutes while it's steeping. put a bit of hooney in it and voila, anice tea (I actually like it without being sick, unlike camomile or sage...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Renee View Post
    I got two major bacterial sinus infections at the end of last/beginning of this year. For my last one, the symptoms came backwards - chest pain/throat pain first and heavy fever.

When I went to my (now new!) doctor, I was diagnosed with a severe bacterial sinus infection and got some serious antibiotics.

No real advice, since I was on a Rx medication. It took a good 2+ weeks to get rid of my cough after ending my antibiotics.

My dr. did recommend some sort of mucinex (sp?) if I couldn't sleep due to coughing.
    I was going to say, it sounds like a sinus infection to me. I know my doctor won't prescribe antibiotics for me unless I've had the symptoms for 2 weeks. Which is why now whenever I go in with a sinus infection, I tell them "I've been feeling terrible for the past two and a half weeks!"
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

well, what do you expect them to do? it's extremely medically unethical and unwise to prescribe or take antibiotics for these viral upper respiratory infections. You'll just have to wait for it to go away. Most such things last for about 14 days, so being sick for 6 days means you're halfway there. Even for bacterial infections, most studies suggest antibiotics don't do much- adults with strep throat who take antibiotics have symptoms for almost as long as adults with strep who don't take antibiotics, and ditto for sinus infections.
    For what it's worth, there has been some horrible upper respiratory virus going around this year that lingers on for WEEKS, not the usual 14 days. Hope you didn't catch that one.