The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you make warts go away?

With sandal season approaching again, I have a little problem I'd LOVE to remedy. Warts. LOTS of big ones on the back of my right heel. They're so nasty and gross, they're starting to bother me when I ride. It began as maybe 3, and I bought one of those Dr. Scholls freeze away things to try and burn them off, and they multiplied to around 8, all clustered right on the back of the heel! Maybe it was just coincidence, but eww! I keep hoping they will go away, but no. At least it's been awhile since they've multiplied, but now I want them GONE! Interested in home remedies before resorting to going to the doctor, thanks!

I got rid of one years ago using the duct tape method. I'd had it frozen off and it came back. Read about duct tape and bingo...after a few weeks. Gone!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I only had success with freezing a plantars wart with liquid nitrogen, twice. Finally killed the damn thing and I got in there and just ripped it out of my foot after a few hours of removing the growth on my toe. Been free ever since. Since you have multiple warts on your heel, that probably won't be a good approach or a feasible one.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    I got rid of one years ago using the duct tape method. I'd had it frozen off and it came back. Read about duct tape and bingo...after a few weeks. Gone!
    So, do you just put duct tape over it? How long do you leave it on? 24/7 until it's gone? Or do you let the skin rest? Thanks!

It might be time for the doctor, if they're multiplying like that.

I have had luck with a combination of methods for a stubborn plantar wart. I used a pumice stone in the shower, then used salicylic acid following (while the skin was still warm and soft), topped by super glue and waterproof tape when then salicylic acid was dry. The glue and tape "suffocates" the wart (like duct tape) and also protects the acid, allowing it to work.

It was gone in about a month of daily work. Being consistent is important.

Lots of home remedies here: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=282

I had a plantar wart lasered by a dermatologist, since nothing else seemed to work. Good luck.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I tore mine out. Tried everything and finally I took a knife and some tweezers to it. Never came back. Did it in the bath.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I tore mine out. Tried everything and finally I took a knife and some tweezers to it. Never came back. Did it in the bath.
    We need a COTH-clique for that. I used a small surgical blade to remove mine. It was a like an evil mushroom attached to my foot. I got under and around the bulk of it to cut it out.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I had some very stubborn plantar warts that went away after I treated them with the Dr. Scholls paint on wart treatment and duct tape at the same time. I only took the duct tape off to shower and in total I think it took about 2.5 months to be rid of them completely. It was kind of gross and a little painful but they are gone and haven't come back almost 3 years later.

I never went to the doctor to have them frozen, so I can't compare. I hate the doctor, so avoid going if at all possible!

well, might be time to disinfect the shoes as well....I do believe warts are caused by viruses...

had a huge Plantar wart on the bottom of my foot once...went to the doctor for it...good grief, after each appointment I could not walk on it for two days! he had carved it down, then froze it...bled like crazy, but the wart stayed...

Then a friend told me the following: Soak the foot in warm water until the skin is soft. Take a needle and dig around the wart. remove the crumbly skin. put wart remover on. Since it was so big, I used the liquid kind from Walmart. It took a few applications, but it went away and stayed there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would go to a doctor and see what they suggest. My MIL swears by Tagamet (the antacid). You might look that up...she's a bit on the nutty side.

I've had a couple of warts on my feet in my lifetime; the first was frozen off by a podiatrist and the second went away completely after I took a long course (months) of strong antibiotics for a nasty ingrown toenail.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

My grandmother could buy them off of you. Truly. The whole family were healers, my aunt could breathe the fire off a burn. My sole power is sadly just kissing booboos to make them go away.

DH uses liquid nitrogen to freeze them off
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I had painful plantar warts on both feet when I was in high school. My oldest sister had them and the doctor cut them out. My next sister had them and the doctor burned them off with electrocautery. I didn't want either of those treatments, so I stayed away from the doctor and tried putting all sorts of things on them.

What finally worker, for whatever reason, was some athletes foot medicine my father had, called NP27. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe I just believed, so it worked. But they stopped hurting and the little "kernels" or whatever you'd call them just fell out before long. Warts are weird things.

Rustbreeches, I have heard of people around here being able to "witch" warts off of other people.

Definatly the liquid nitrogen method. I had never had a wart my whole life and didn't even realize, the 'sliver' I had on the ball of my foot was indeed a plantars wart. Took me 15(!) yes 15!! visits to burn that sucker out. It was incredibly deep but surprisingly small, and man did it hurt. By the last visit, I told the doc to just keep a steady stream/spray of nitrogen on the wart because I was tired of going in so many times, so she did. By day three, I noticed the area(dime sized) had turned white, so I ended poking around and turns out, not only had I killed the wart(yay!) I also ended killing the whole area around it and well into the layers of my flesh. So that part sucked but after six months of treatment it was gone. But again, mine was very deep, but small, about a quarter size of a match head or less.

I too, bought the dr shcools stuff, as well as a paint treatment, and it did nothing. I wouldn't wast my $$$ on it again and I'd go strait to the dr.'s.

Oh and make sure to give your shoes/sandals a good wash/ soak as well and wear bandaids over the warts in the mean time.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    We need a COTH-clique for that. I used a small surgical blade to remove mine. It was a like an evil mushroom attached to my foot. I got under and around the bulk of it to cut it out.
    Tried and true method, right here. I haven't had one since I was a kid.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Can I join the Clique?
    I've only had one wart, on the inside of my thumb. I literally "worried" it with scissors etc. until it disappeared. It never came back.

My Morgan mare had a nose-full of warts. At the time I boarded her at a family farm where the son was in vet school. When I mentioned it to him, he took sand paper and rubbed my poor mare's nose raw (as in, raw AND bleeding). He said that way, her immune system would kick in and get rid of the problem. And it worked! But poor little mare, lol!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

It was a long time ago, but I had a wart on the bottom of my heel. I used Compound-W for something like 5 to 7 days. At that point it really started to hurt, but I was able to use tweezers to remove the wart. The pain went away immediately, and the wart never came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    This ^. Last time daughter went for bottom-of-foot wart removal, the doctor told her if there was a reoccurance to just duct tape it. Something about what is in the adhesive!

Just be sure it is a wart, not some other kind of growth.

Not all kinds of wart looking growths are real warts.

Gee thee to the podiatrist for evaluation and liquid nitrogen removal. Mine carried his LN in a Scooby-Doo thermos
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."