The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

And on the actual documents, it very clearly states "program administered by American Equine Insurance Group" and it lists Diamond State/United National as the insurance company:

http://www.hallmarkhorse.com/pdf/Mor...icy_Jacket.pdf

I would consider Diamond State/United National as the underwriter there.

Curious spin of terminology. Wonder if AEIG is a part of Diamond State/United National? Do you know who you work with for a claim? Is it possible to purchase a Diamond State policy NOT administered through AEIG? (Not that it really matters, just curious about the relationship.)

I would love to hear from anyone who has a policy with Diamond State/United National/AEIG and has had a claim. How was the process? Are there limitations?

This looks like it might be a nice alternative to Great American for those of us with cheap horses who want more MM than mortality, if they do not put excessive restrictions on the policy like The Hartford does.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

If you want MORE major medical than mortality, your options are limited. The Hartford is one, but there are some pretty severe limitations on what they cover.

What are the limitations with Hartford? I just got a renewal for my horse's policy and Hartford was the one my agent recommended this year as my previous insurance company would no longer provide us major medical due to my horses age. I was offered 10,000 mortality with options of 7500, 10,000 and 13,500 major medical. They offered a basic and premium package, the premium was $50 / year but covered regenerative therapies like stem cell and PRP. My agent said that was the only difference, what other limitations should I know about?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JSO View Post
    What are the limitations with Hartford? I just got a renewal for my horse's policy and Hartford was the one my agent recommended this year as my previous insurance company would no longer provide us major medical due to my horses age. I was offered 10,000 mortality with options of 7500, 10,000 and 13,500 major medical. They offered a basic and premium package, the premium was $50 / year but covered regenerative therapies like stem cell and PRP. My agent said that was the only difference, what other limitations should I know about?

Thanks
    I would recommend you read your policy thoroughly.

I have already posted about the limitations I was told about:

When I spoke with Broadstone in October of last year, I was cautioned that The Hartford policy was considerably limiting in what they would actually pay--I believe it was only 50% of "big" diagnostics like MRI and bone scan, and only $1000 total payout for biologic treatments like IRAP and stem cell. There may be more limitations, but I lost interest when I heard the above and we did not go on.

S1969, is AEIG an underwriter or an agency?
    Yes, AEIG is an underwriter.
    My agency is Blue Bridle.

I agree that it is confusing. I ultimately bought a policy through American Home Assurance Company and the back page gives some more info: "Thank you for purchasing insurance from the Chartis companies". So American Home = Chartis but I'm not sure the legal distinction.

Confusing if you don't realize that they are the same company, for the purposes of your equine insurance policy (and hear their names and think they might be two separate underwriting companies.)

I unfortunately had a MM claim through Hallmark last year and they were fabulous - the policy I have in hand is underwritten by Diamond State. They actually ended up paying on services my vet didn't even expect them to and he works pretty closely with some of the insurance underwriters. As of November 2012 they would write MM for a horse insured for under that amount. I do think my MM is capped by my mortality though.

For those with Hallmark....do they cover things like Stem Cell, IRAP etc. What about diagnostics such as a bone scan?

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    For those with Hallmark....do they cover things like Stem Cell, IRAP etc. What about diagnostics such as a bone scan?
    The exclusions are on their site:

http://www.hallmarkhorse.com/pdf/Equ...ent_Plan_B.pdf

I would not expect them to pay for any joint injections, including IRAP, with this:

Any joint treatment or procedure such as injections of synovial fluid, stimulators, or replacers including cortico-steroids and anabolic steroids, whether or not used in
    conjunction with any other treatments.
    They also do not cover shockwave.

I asked them if there were any limitations beyond the exclusions on that document and was told there are not.

Note that you can purchase this AEIG/Diamond State/United National policy through any number of agencies, and you're going to be dealing with the underwriter (AEIG/Diamond State/United National) in the case of a claim, not the agency (Hallmark, in this case.) The agency simply facilitates the sale of the policy.

Diamond State covered my horse's shockwave at the end of 2012.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    Diamond State covered my horse's shockwave at the end of 2012.
    Does your policy specifically exclude it, like in the current exclusions document? Could be something new, perhaps.

Does your policy specifically exclude it, like in the current exclusions document? Could be something new, perhaps.
    No it's not excluded. When I submit claims I go thought National Equine Adjusting, I wonder if that makes the difference? Also one thing they told me was that even though IRAP (I think it was) was excluded, if there was a very great need for it per my vet they would consider covering it. The did not however cover the HA coffin joint injection used to help treat an acute injury.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I agree that it is confusing. I ultimately bought a policy through American Home Assurance Company and the back page gives some more info: "Thank you for purchasing insurance from the Chartis companies." So American Home = Chartis but I'm not sure the legal distinction.

I have the same policy. American Home = Chartis, American Equine = Diamond State. For our purposes, it doesn't matter.

To repeat what someone else said, "The agency simply facilitates the sale of the policy." In terms of what is covered or not covered, you have to look at the underwriter's policy. You can get lousy coverage through an agency or great coverage through the same agency.

I too had shockwave covered. The policy was written by Diamond State but the claim was handled by National Equine Adjusting as well - they were wonderful to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    No it's not excluded. When I submit claims I go thought National Equine Adjusting, I wonder if that makes the difference? Also one thing they told me was that even though IRAP (I think it was) was excluded, if there was a very great need for it per my vet they would consider covering it. The did not however cover the HA coffin joint injection used to help treat an acute injury.
    Policies change.

If you look at the current exclusion document, it very clearly excludes shockwave.

Shockwave might have been covered and unexcluded in the past, but it appears that is not longer the case. It is now excluded.

Note to everyone looking to purchase: read through your policy documents VERY carefully.

Policies change.

If you look at the current exclusion document, it very clearly excludes shockwave.

Shockwave might have been covered and unexcluded in the past, but it appears that is not longer the case. It is now excluded.

Note to everyone looking to purchase: read through your policy documents VERY carefully.
    I'll have to call them to double check, but it excludes "radial shockwave therapy" which I though was different than the type of ESWT used for things like navicular bone fractures (which is what mine was done for... but I'll have to double check for this year's policy.

I did not realize there were different types, and I found this an interesting discussion about radial versus focused:

http://www.ckequinehospital.com/page...ckwave-Therapy

Which does make it sound like perhaps radial is more common (with less expensive equipment) while focused can be more useful.

I would be curious about the type of shockwave they covered for you, LDavid104!

I did not realize there were different types, and I found this an interesting discussion about radial versus focused:

http://www.ckequinehospital.com/page...ckwave-Therapy

Which does make it sound like perhaps radial is more common (with less expensive equipment) while focused can be more useful.

I would be curious about the type of shockwave they covered for you, LDavid104!
    Confirmed with my insurance agent that Diamond State recognizes the difference between Radial Shockwave and ESW (extracorporeal Shockwave) and that they do cover ESW.

Near as I can tell, extracorporeal just means that the probe is outside the body. ESWT can be radial or focused.

Good to know that they will cover some version of shockwave, though! It looks like a policy that is an excellent option for those of us who had Great American policies...