The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else recovering from an injury?

I had an unplanned dismount from my horse last Thursday morning (some Valentine's day present!). Unfortunately, I landed on my feet with both legs fully extended. As a result, I have a tibial fracture on my right tibia and most likely an ACL tear on that knee as well (pending MRI results). Although the doc said my left knee is fine orthopedically, it is hurting more and more everyday and making it harder to get around. Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed out, as I will be out of commission for awhile. And my young horse (whom I was riding at the time) was supposed to go to his first combined test this past Saturday too

Anybody else recovering from a knee injury or some other type of injury?

I am not, but I have been nursing DH with a broken leg for a while now. It's no fun! Hope you feel better soon.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Yes. I was at a farm trying sale horses at the end of January and came off one that decided to choose bronc over trot forward. I broke my left wrist (distal radius fracture). I've got 2 more weeks in my cast. I've done some riding with it on, but have mostly been giving working students lessons on my horse to keep him going.
    Last edited by joiedevie99; Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Yep. Thanksgiving weekend my horse had some bronc-busting moments, and I ended up with a tibial plateau fracture, torn meniscus and MCL sprain. After the bone should have been set, I started physical therapy. Then the pain started up again, and got continually worse. I'm scheduled for surgery next Tuesday, and I really hope that it will finally start feeling better. I'm hoping to show by mid-April, but that's cutting it close.

Fractured L2 vertebrae in August
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Yep 6 weeks post op today, almost same injury, ACL reconstruction, mcl repair, meniscus repair and my tibia is finally healed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most orthos make you wait 4-6 weeks post injury before they will do an ACL reconstruction. That being said I was back to managing both farms and a toddler by myself 18 days post op. other than not having full ROM and a slight limp I'm pretty much back to normal now.

Good luck, ice is your friend. Feel free to pm me if you want the good bad and ugly

I am sitting here in a shoulder immobilizer having just had arthroscopic surgery.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Yeah, recovering from herniated disc. Got bucked off - OK, got separated unintentionally from my youngster - the day before Thanksgiving. Had two injections, and still going through physical therapy three times a week.

I'm feeling much better though. Cantered the other day YAY, and going back to Yoga just this week.

Well mine is an old one that they keep doing surgeries on. So my V-Day gift was another ankle surgery where they removed scar tissue, arthritis, shaved and smoothed out bone, did a bone graft, and put in a metal plate.

OP- aww sorry you are going to miss your combined test

I've been dealing with a hamstring issue since September of 2012. Despite a sports med doctor, PT, no running from November-February, icing, heat, stretching, etc. there has been no improvement and I'm starting to get pissed/irritated/discouraged.

I've already had to make the decision that I won't be running in a May half marathon, which I am not happy about, but have no choice. I'm probably going to request that my PCP order me an MRI, as I have a feeling the sports med guy will tell me to just do more PT.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

My sympathies to all of you. We're all so lucky that our injuries weren't worse!

I am 4 1/2 months post unscheduled dismount from my 3yo homebred. He's a lovely, quiet fellow, and we were just hacking along the driveway to meet a friend. That's all I remember for the next 36 hours. Apparently I landed hard on my knees (which looked like I'd been dragged on them, but we can't figure out how), dislocated my left femur and broke the head off, got sufficient head trauma to put a gash in my helmet and a whale of a black eye where I apparently crashed down on my fist. Or that was the best guess when my friend (and soon after first responders) found me.

Just finished PT for my hip replacement and cognitive therapy for my TBI. Still do lots of PT by myself at home because they tell me it'll be a year before I'm back to baseline and there was lots of soft tissue damage. But I have a plan (OK'd by my doc and therapists) to start riding in a couple of weeks. Dear friends have been prepping my most reliable and experienced horse for me and I CAN"T WAIT!

A funny story, though, that will live on in our family annals:

There I was in the ER, having just regained a semblance of consciousness. They kept asking me my name, where I am, what day it is, what happened and I didn't know the answer to any of it. Then, according to my DH, they pointed at him and asked who he was. He tells me I smiled broadly and answered "He's the love of my life, my one and only." Needless to say, he was extraordinarily attentive during my recovery!

By the way, to entertain yourself, try Lumosity, a brain exercise website. They have a bunch of games you can play for free. And I have to say that CoTH kept me sane during my layup!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    My sympathies to all of you. We're all so lucky that our injuries weren't worse!

I am 4 1/2 months post unscheduled dismount from my 3yo homebred. He's a lovely, quiet fellow, and we were just hacking along the driveway to meet a friend. That's all I remember for the next 36 hours. Apparently I landed hard on my knees (which looked like I'd been dragged on them, but we can't figure out how), dislocated my left femur and broke the head off, got sufficient head trauma to put a gash in my helmet and a whale of a black eye where I apparently crashed down on my fist. Or that was the best guess when my friend (and soon after first responders) found me.

Just finished PT for my hip replacement and cognitive therapy for my TBI. Still do lots of PT by myself at home because they tell me it'll be a year before I'm back to baseline and there was lots of soft tissue damage. But I have a plan (OK'd by my doc and therapists) to start riding in a couple of weeks. Dear friends have been prepping my most reliable and experienced horse for me and I CAN"T WAIT!

A funny story, though, that will live on in our family annals:

There I was in the ER, having just regained a semblance of consciousness. They kept asking me my name, where I am, what day it is, what happened and I didn't know the answer to any of it. Then, according to my DH, they pointed at him and asked who he was. He tells me I smiled broadly and answered "He's the love of my life, my one and only." Needless to say, he was extraordinarily attentive during my recovery!

By the way, to entertain yourself, try Lumosity, a brain exercise website. They have a bunch of games you can play for free. And I have to say that CoTH kept me sane during my layup!
    As far as injuries go, I think we have a winner!

But seriously, your determination is an inspiration. Happy, happy riding to you!
    A helmet saved my life.

Oh man, this is one I wasn't trying to win! But if my injuries are the worst, we really ARE a fortunate group.

By the way, I'm over 60 (won't say how much), so you young chickadees will find it much easier, I promise!

And Bristol Bay, your sig line is wonderful. My helmet definitely saved my life.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Had an unscheduled dismount at the end of October. I'm pretty sure, in hindsight, given that it still hurts, I fractured a rib. At the time I figured since I wasn't in pee-my-pants-crying-pain it was just bruised. Now, since I can still feel it (soreness, not pain, and I can sneeze now without crying) I'm thinking it wasn't a bruise. I also bent the crap out of my left pinky and right "eat me" fingers. That seems permanent.

It wasn't a fall as much as it was a chuck since he bucked me at full gallop up the side of a hill. Fell hard. Thank goodness old martial arts training was still there so I didn't try to stop my fall with my hands (and break wrists).

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Jacked up rotator cuff from years of abuse, just started pt and waiting on an ortho consult to see if it's going to need surgery. I'm really hoping it comes around with pt, last year was a write off thanks to knee surgery and I was just about to start riding again when this flared up... Frustrated is putting it mildly, but then again I'm never a good patient because I have no patience when it comes to my own recovery!
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

Listening to everyone else's injuries make mine pale in comparison! I have an MRI scheduled for next week and then an appointment for the results the week after that. I'm crossing my fingers for good news. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my young horse for at least 2 - 3 months, as I assume I will be out at least that long. I don't really want to pay for full training for 3 months, but I don't want him to have 3 months off either.

Hope everyone starts to feel better soon, especially frugal (I think your injuries definitely "won"!)

Quote Originally Posted by mep0726 View Post
    Listening to everyone else's injuries make mine pale in comparison! I have an MRI scheduled for next week and then an appointment for the results the week after that. I'm crossing my fingers for good news. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my young horse for at least 2 - 3 months, as I assume I will be out at least that long. I don't really want to pay for full training for 3 months, but I don't want him to have 3 months off either.

Hope everyone starts to feel better soon, especially frugal (I think your injuries definitely "won"!)
    Let me offer some perspective on the issue. If your horse were kept in work, but hurt himself and required hand walking or cold hosing, would you be up to the task? That thought is what convinced me to give my horse some time off. They don't forget what they know.
    A helmet saved my life.

Yes, I was in an automobile accident Jan 12th. I was hit head on by a kid that had his lisense less than a week. I had to drive off the road and he still hit me. Two fractures in C5 along with head injuries. I am super frustrated with depending on others to drive me places. Managing my doctors appointments is practically a part time job.
    I'm thankfull that it wasn't worse and I am starting to feel normal again. Also, that it happened at the "right" time of year so I didn't miss too much barn time in that sense.