The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you go to the hockey game?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go

28 70.00%
  • No

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you go?

In keeping with the relationship theme and internet dating advice, I have a question. Been chatting with a fellow on pof for a bit and talking about meeting for a coffee. Well, he mentioned that he has been invited to a hockey game (in a suite) and said (in sort of a joking way) that I was welcome to meet him there.

From our conversations and what little I know about him, he seems like a pretty social guy and I'm pretty game to try anything once but is this too much for a first time meet? Part of me thinks go for it but the other part of me says, that's nuts! Should I take him up on the offer? WWYD?? Would you go? Or no?

I'd go, if he was serious about the offer.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

What i don't know about hockey could fill the current 1040 instruction book, but suite sounds like maybe there will be more than a few ppl there? Could be ok...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I'm torn for an answer. Yes because it would be fun and it's obviously a very public place with plenty of other people. At the same time if they have a box I assume everyone is going to know each other which would make me feel awkward since I wouldn't know anyone... not even the guy really. But the if you are really social and are one of those people that can walk in not knowing anyone and leave with tons of friends then go for it!

Well, if you have to ask, maybe you're not convinced to go.

I'll play the cynic; perhaps he was nonchalant because he wants to see how desperate you are.

Me, I would not go.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Go but only if you want to see the game anyway.

I'm definitely not convinced to go but also don't want to chicken out of something that might be an interesting story one day. Just curious what others would do.

Hmm. I never thought about that angle about being desperate. I'm certainly not desperate. Would it look like I was if I went?

No, I don't think there's anything desperate in it at all!! It's 2013, desperate only happens if you show up at his house for your first date or if you get stuck paying for him! It's a blind date and sounds like a safe, fun environment. I would tell him you'll drive yourself and meet him there.

This could be a nice way to get rid of all that first-date anxiety because it's just a group party at a game!

Go and have fun!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

2 members found this post helpful.

Welp, I'D just go, but if you're into hockey anyway... grab a willing pal, get your own seats and meet up with him. Then you have an out if you need/want, or can drag friend down to the box for a nice social get together if things go well. I think it sounds like a fun, easy introductory meet up.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

GO! drive your own car so you can leave if you have to and you never know, it could be a blast! And if you don't hit if off with the guy, there may be other people there you do click with!

I would go! Hockey games are a blast.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

You should go, it sounds fun! There is always good food in the boxes and as long as you have your car you can escape if necessary.
    Impossible is nothing.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'd say no. Speaking from experience, going places or being put into situations where you're meeting someone for the first time in a group setting and everyone else already knows one another, it always feels awkward and you can easily end up not getting anything out of it. I remember when I went to a party with a COTHer - she had invited me to go as a sort of first-time date - and she basically left me alone and wouldn't really talk to me because she was busy hobknobbing with a bunch of people that I didn't know and they didn't really take any interest in me for the most part except in not so positive ways. But in your case, it's likely you may just end up being ignored and not so much...socially molested.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Oh God Lex were you socially molested? I can see how it would happen. I feel like I should apologize for women.

I would go because I love sports and hockey games are fun even if you don't know the rules. If you aren't going to enjoy watching the game itself, pass it up and actually meet for coffee. Seriously. Say thanks for the invite but I don't love hockey, how about coffee Saturday morning?
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

If you are socially forward, then go. If you are more private, then one-on-one would work better. I'd have no issue with it, but I love people.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I agree with Jenners. If you are the type who can fit in with a crowd of strangers and still have fun then go for it. Nothing to lose. If you are the type who does not like intimate settings where you are the odd one out then skip it and schedule a more quiet first date.

I assume a ticket of some sort is required to get in, even with a box, right?

2 members found this post helpful.

Can you go to the game with a couple of girlfriends/coworkers and then stop by the suite to meet the dude?
    I don't think I 'd go alone as it could turn out very awkward if you've never met the guy.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Can you find out what kind of group is in the suite.

I mean, if it is all his high school buddies, it is one thing. If it is his company/employer, it is something else.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

For me I think it would depend on what the "meet ya there" entailed. IF he was providing me with a ticket & invited me to hang out in the suite with him sure! If is a casual "get up with me when u get there and we will grab a beer together then No way. I think coffee or something where you two are getting to know each other one on one would be a more appropriate first meet up.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I would, even though I know squat about hockey. I hate sitting at a coffee shop or something, staring at each other trying to find a conversation. At least if the conversation gone bad, I still get to watch a game. Oh, and that is only if he pays the ticket, but that is because I wouldn't have gone to any hockey if not for him.