The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help with gift ideas for masters and the huntsman

I'm not sure if this is common for most hunts, but we give our masters and huntsman (and his first whipper-in wife) gifts at the hunt ball at the end of the season.

We are scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas this year. Any suggestions? We'd like budget friendly ideas please, we have 8 gifts to give! I'd like to get the masters all the same thing, but was thinking something different for the huntsman and his wife.

Please share!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Ok, I'll bite! First let me say that I think this is a really nice idea!
    How about a nice bottle of port for each Master, doesn't have to be top of the line, just a nice one.....and a massage for the huntsman and his whipper-in wife)?
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

How about for the Masters, a donation to the MFHA for legislative efforts, in each of their names.

Huntsman and whipper in wife: If they are in charge of the hounds' care, maybe something special for the hounds (new puppy collars, brass name plates, etc). Nice 8 x 10 photos of hounds/huntsman/whipper in.
    Money donated to MFHA for legislative efforts in their names.
    Gift certificate to the vet for hound/horse care.
    Find a local meat producer and fill their freezer full of pork, chicken, beef, etc
    New horn for the Huntsman
    Lovely fur hat for wife.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the ideas! I like the idea of the donation in their names, and the massages for huntsman and wife.

We were actually thinking of doing the photo idea, but our hunt photographer is in the middle of a move and can't do the prints for us.

Keep them coming!
    Fade to Grey Farm

I would be happy to run up to Horse Country, browse the gift area, and text pictures to you of some of their fabulous foxhunting stuff!

They had some really nice brass door knockers, fox mask style, and also fox bridle hangers that were nice, and not too pricey. Tea towels with hounds and foxes embroidered on them? Fox and hound soaps, hats, playing cards, fine china with foxhunting themes, books, etc., etc.

Let me know if you want me to go.... PLEASE? :-)

Hi TimelyImpulse,

What a generous offer, thank you! I actually was on the Horse Country website last night, and they do have many of their gifts online. Love the door knockers, and book ends. We are planning to get the pewter fox stirrup cups for the new masters, and are thinking of making a basket of small gifts for the huntsman and his wife (coasters, tea towels, salt & pepper shakers) and possibly those massages that KateDB offered!
    Fade to Grey Farm

I'll be interested to hear if you do and how they like the idea. Seems like busy horsemen/houndsmen rarely do anything for themselves and if you can get them to take a moment to do so it's a nice change! and we hunters tend to be hard on our bodies, so what better way to wrap up the season?!? :-)
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

No problem! I frequently run up to Warrenton and Horse Country anyway. It will definitely be one of the things I will miss when we move to GA this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    No problem! I frequently run up to Warrenton and Horse Country anyway. It will definitely be one of the things I will miss when we move to GA this summer.
    Every time we go to VA (usually once a year) we go to the Middleburg Tack Exchange and Horse Country

Where are you moving to in VA? That's where I'm located! We have five registered packs here, although you've probably already researched that
    Fade to Grey Farm

Good choices! I'm only 30 min from Warrenton and 45 from Middleburg, and have been known to do "Tack Tours". Go to Middleburg, hit the Tack Exchange, then the Tack Box, then Saddlery Liquidators. Grab a quickie lunch at Salamander (their chicken fingers are not just for kids). Head down the road to Marshall, and go to Tri-County Feed, possibly stop at Tractor Supply, then head down the road to Warrenton, and do Horse Country. If Carousel is open, well, who doesn't love soft serve ice-cream?

We are moving to Ft. Benning and will be living on post. My husband reports 5/15, and I'm there 7/1. I'm bringing one, possibly two field hunters, just need a place to stash them. :-)

I've hunted down south a bit. I came down with Rappahannock Hunt two seasons ago, and hunted with Belle Meade and Bear Creek. I had quite the experience, as my horse had just died and I had won a cap with Belle Meade. I got to ride Levi, Charlie Lewis' second best horse. Now that's a story that needs to be told over lots of alcohol. Fantastic time at Bear Creek too! I looooooooove the ditches!

We can't wait to get down there-- 3 years and we'll move back to VA, but we are really looking forward to all GA has to offer.

You must've emailed me a couple of months ago? You'll be perfectly situated in Midland territory and not far from Bear Creek. Please send an email when you arrive, we do lots of summer trail rides to keep our horses going!
    Fade to Grey Farm

Oddly enough my huntsman just mentioned did not have a subscription to COTH. How about a subscription to COTH or other foxhunting magazine?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)