The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My condolences to Eva and all of Renee's friends and family. I am going to work with the rest of our barn staff to be more mindful of this in the future. It's one of those things you know, but sometimes is just forgotten...

And to the negative comments - accidents like this most certainly happen. I once caught and haltered my sweet and easy gelding and was holding the rope folded. Something spooked him and he pulled away from me and took off at a fast trot. Somehow I ended up holding the rope close to the end so there was a little rope between my hand and the knot at the end and there was a considerable distance between my horse and I. I can't tell you exactly how it happened because this all happened in just a second, but the knot end of the rope swung around my arm twice because of the momentum. My horse was trotting fast and about to really take off and I panicked. I was running behind him as I unwrapped the rope from my arm. Probably the most terrifing 3 seconds of my horse life.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

7 members found this post helpful.

So terribly sorry to hear of the tragic loss of this wonderful woman. My condolences to her friends and family.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep, the end of the lead can take on a life of its own. That is why I've always used short leads, just enough to hold the horse and do a short tie. I don't hold with those uber long lead ropes the TV trainers advocate.

It had bothered me, on FB there a site and they showed a little girl kissing a horses' nose. She had the lead looped in a circle in her hand. First off, the lead being looped and secondly, kissing the horse on the nose. Both of those bothered me. I was going to write to them and suggest they put a disclaimer about the looped lead. The kissing on the nose has always bothered me since I heard about a girl who was grabbed on her lower lip, by a stud colt, and he pulled her lip down over her chin. My gelding is mouthy, being he's a big goof, and will nip (got me on the side of the boob one day, while I was holding him for the shoer).

So, yeah, accidents will happen, all you have to do is let up your guard for just a second and it can happen.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

4 members found this post helpful.

Such a strange and terrible accident. I'm sorry for her friends and family.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I just read this in the paper... OP I guess we are almost-neighbors...
    A sudden motion on a long lead can do all sorts of crazy things, even a 6 foot lead. I don't think there's enough information in the article to make a judgement, nor should we. It could VERY easily have flipped around her arm accidentally and tightened up as the horse bolted. The article doesn't even say she was grooming the horse outside, holding it or tied. Everyone is jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Was anyone there? All they really have is the aftermath... Let's just all pause for a moment and at the very least use this as a lesson to remember how powerful our horses are and why we have so many discussions about safety.

She sounds like she was a fantastic lady, so close to me yet I hadn't met her. When I read her obituary earlier this week (before I read the article today about how she died) I was wondering if she knew you, michaleenflynn... we're close to 4 hours out of NYC so I was surprised to see her obituary mention that she was a spokesperson for the Carriage Horses of NYC.
    Last edited by oldpony66; Feb. 22, 2013 at 06:09 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

There are lots and lots of horrible stories involving ropes or lines on fishing boats, they break, things move and flip around, you get distracted at precisely the wrong moment. Horses and farm equipment are dangerous too. I try to be safe but it just doesn't always happen, sometimes there's just that combination of events that add up wrong.

I'm so sorry this woman paid the ultimate price and my deepest condolences to her family and friends.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

So sorry, Michaleen - think the photos look familiar - seeing them on your FB page last year? What a beautiful gal. Condolences to her family, and all of her friends.

Every time I go to the barn, I bring my guy and his buddy in together from the field at the same time. It is so easy to get a lead tangled for so many reasons, even while consciously caring to hold it appropriately. The past few days the wind and snow have been difficult to deal with here.

Guess there isn't anything like that in Calamber's perfect world. Sorry for her thoughtless remark as well.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

3 members found this post helpful.

smay-I know you on another board-and sometimes we do get complaisent(I know wrong spelling)I did a super stupid move with Caine about 8yrs. ago- all I did was to slip 1 ft. out of a stup to flag flys under my horse, and all he did was a little buck-I turned into a "yard dart"screwed up my neck/back'sometimes f**kin' shit happens!You know it's not if,but when--

How absolutely awful. My sincere condolences to her family and friends. What a terrible tragic loss.