The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good car insurance companies?

Can anyone recommend a good car insurance company? I'm ready for a change. I live in the state of New York, if that matters.

TIA!

Desjardins is what i use, they do certas direct
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

If there is anyone you can qualify to get USAA (e.g., through a family member), it's the absolute best.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have Liberty Mutual, which I believe is available in NY. I've had really good luck with it, over the 25 years I've used them. They've paid claims promptly and not nickel and dimed me. They have not insisted on using used or aftermarket parts, even on older cars. Their staff is really helpful about finding ways to keep my premium down...when something changes (like adding teen drivers or students coming and going from college), they'll sit on the phone with me as long as I want and play "what if" games in their software to try to find the cheapest way to cover them, by putting them on, or excluding them from certain vehicles.

I hear great things about USAA, but I don't qualify for it.

I have been with AMICA Mutual Insurance Company for over 40 years. I have my car and my house insurance with them. I have, in that time, had several claims with them, all settled fairly and quickly, and with no subsequent raise in rates. Their rates, I have heard, are a little higher than some, but, as they are a mutual company, you get money back at the end of each year. In all this time, I have consistently gotten 20% back from my auto insurance and 25% back from my house insurance. They are consistently rated highest in customer satisfaction and I always feel that they aren't out to make money, but to work for and with me. It gives me peace of mind to use them, and that, to me, is worth the fact that it might cost a little more. And, I haven't compared costs in years so I don't know if they do or not. I really cannot recommend them highly enough.
    http://www.amica.com/products/productsAuto.html
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Second the Amica recommendation. When I was rear ended by a hit and run driver last year, they were fantastic to work with even though my car was a total loss. I had a check from them within 10 days.

Erie. I don't know why my dad didn't get us all on USAA, but signed with Erie when he retired from the Army. My agent's dad was my dad's agent, so I've been covered with Erie since I was 6 months old.

I think I've only had 2 claims in my life and never had a rate hike. Multiple policy discount, good driver discount. Their customer service has always been great, my agent bends over backwards to make me happy.

They may be slightly more expensive than other companies, but the peace of mind knowing they just do their job when you need them is worth it.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I literally saved over 20% by switching to Geico a few months ago.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    If there is anyone you can qualify to get USAA (e.g., through a family member), it's the absolute best.
    This is what we have and I concur. I'm a claims rep for an insurance brokerage and if clients can do it, I'd always recommend USAA.

Otherwise, Progressive is great as is AllState.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Ive been with Amica for 7 years I think. Ive never, knock on wood, had to file a claim with them though.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

What is yor definition of "good"?

I have been very happy with State Farm. They have never raised my premiums due to speeding tickets. When I had an accident they handled everything well, including when the other driver wanted to sue me. And somehow they managed to keep my "accident free" discount on my main car, and applied the "accident surcharge" to my oldest, cheapest car.

My father used Liberty Mutual (in NY) for many decades, and was happy with them too.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

GEICO has always done right by me. I've yet to be in an accident that I caused, but they were very good at going to bat for us when we were rear-ended. They have also towed us a little further to a preferred mechanic without charging extra, since we had been with them as long as we had.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I've never had a problem with Geico (since I moved to Michigan and could get them--in MA I was basically stuck with Commerce because almost no one operated there so I paid a fortune and got just about nothing.) They've never raised my rate even for tickets and only slightly when I got a newer car (not brand-new, but a five-years-newer model), and I've never had a problem day or night getting a live human being (in a US call center in my time zone) on the phone. I'll ask my brother, who lives in NY, who he uses as he's had a pretty big snow accident (his car slid off the ramp to the parking lot and got stuck on a guard rail with some huge body work required) so he'll have dealt with major claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Yup. Love USAA. I've been with them 22 years, and they've always been a wonderful company with which to deal, regardless of the incident.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

State Farm has been very good to me, through multiple claims. Never raise my premiums.
    Quarry Rat

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Progressive. My premiums are low for full coverage on my truck(and I am under 30 with a speeding ticket and 2 wrecks).

When I had my first wreck (my fault)they walked me through the whole claims process and made things very easy. I had a check to repair my truck within a week. I elected to have our company mechanic do the work and they reimbursed me, if I had taken it to a shop it would have been instant.

My second wreck (not my fault) I got sideswiped on the freeway. The insurance company for the other party (State Farm) wouldn't return my phone calls, when I actually did get them on the phone they said they wouldn't pay because the person driving the car wasn't the owner and therefore not insured by their company, etc. I talked to my claims guy from Progressive (he'd already looked at my truck right after the accident) and he contacted the other company for me. I don't know what he said, but they sent someone to do an estimate the next day and I got a check a few days after that.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

DH and I have Erie and love it -- our options are fewer because we're both young (23 & 24), but Erie's rates were less than half of the other companies we looked at (Progressive, Allstate, State Farm (who we had been with individually). Our agent has been spectacular. We haven't made any claims, but did use our 'roadside assistance' package and they wrote us a check the same day that we submitted the receipt.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I have Progressive, and they were great when I got into my wreck over 6 years ago. My rate went up because it was my fault. But now that its been more than 5 years, I expected my rate to drop more than it has. I'm looking into other companies now. So far I've looked at State Farm (higher), Liberty Mutual (lower), and Geico (even lower). Looks like I may be changing after 8 years with Progressive just to save some money.

Have been with Nationwide since 1974 - both in NY & VA. More than satisfied. Also use them for our homeowners insurance (since 1994). Have had a few auto claims & one roof claim for the house. All handled in an uber satisfactory manner. Fast, polite, convenient resolvement & quality repairs.

Geico was great when I got rear-ended on the highway. The other guy had some delightful policy from Plymouth Rock that was horrendous. I had a nightmare situation with that company and it took them 6 months to pay for my poor totaled car.
    Forward momentum!