The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Have Equicomfort Half Chaps??

Ok so I originally asked about Volant half chaps, but I would have to order those online and I read they fit a bit funny so I now am asking about Equicomfort Half Chaps just like this
    http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/pro...stitching.html
    I originally wanted something that looked like tall boots, but those seem to be quite expensive and these are quite cute and different. I would also be able to go and actually try these on.

I've been looking at getting new half chaps that are a bit more flattering than my old suede pair.
    Any opinions on these?
    Or any recommendations for nice, tall boot looking, half chaps that aren't around $200?
    Last edited by ElisLove; Feb. 20, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

Hi, yes I have had those for about six weeks now. Got them on sale as well. I think they look just fine and they are super comfortable. Just using them around home, so I don't really care how they would look at a show. They are a bit hard to get over my paddock boots (maybe they are designed to fit over a narrower paddock boot). They zip from the bottom so I have to sit down to wrestle the two parts of the zipper together, but once the zipper is started, they zip up easily! As I've said, I love the comfort. They might be a tiny bit too big, but it's fine because I'm wearing winter weight breeches and socks, etc. I have the small tall I believe.

Cant advise you on how they will hold up, but I've been very pleased so far!

Anyway, my response was to your original post about the Volants!
    Last edited by gotanda2; Feb. 20, 2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: New info

Thanks for the reply about the valants. If there are a lot of great reviews on them I would still look at them tho I can't get quite the right sizing as they only have medium and the rest are not available cause ariat is discontinuing them. What were your measurements compared to the chart (did you go up or down from your measurements)? And how did they drop? How was the ankle? THe rep I talked to said the ankle was very large on them?

Tucci half chaps are REALLY nice (but only if you can find them) and Tredstep G2 half chaps are (from what I've heard) also really nice (both look like tall boots) Ariat Monaco's and close contacts also have a similar profile to tall boots
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Thanks for the reply. Tucci, and Ariat Monaco's are both too expensive for me. Tredstep is a little up there as well but I have considered them. I don't really like the look of the ariat close contacts. Anyone else? I would love to stay closer to 100 than 200 but I want something that will last and fit well so if I have to go closer to 200 I will at least consider them, just might have to put off buying new chaps till my current chaps are falling apart.

These are ugly as sin, but they last and are the only pair of half chaps that I haven't literally worn holes through. I really abuse my half chaps and these are proving themselves to be winners in every department but esthetics. (http://www.ariat.com/English/Men/Foo...ml?color=BLACK)
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Ya, the big thing about buying new chaps right now is I want a pair more pleasing to the eye. Otherwise there are quite a few cheap ugly chaps around. My current ariat chaps are holding up really well, they are just butt ugly. Haha.

Well, I do think they gap somewhat at the ankle, but not as bad as some others on me, and because my new paddock boots are kind of bulky, it doesn't bother me. I don't think they have dropped much at all. The calf measurement was pretty true to my own, as I recall.

I've tried to enclose a pic of me wearing them recently from Facebook.. Not sure if link will work! They definitely don't look custom, but not too bad for the money I think.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I think they are really cute, I just ordered some.

Thanks for the pic. I think I will try to go to the tack store on Friday and try on the Equicomfort half chaps and if those don't work think about ordering the Volants. If they don't drop much though I am not sure if they will work cause I measure for a short and they only have regular height left. Hmm... It might not be so bad but I live in Canada so I would have to ship them to a friend's US address then have them bring them over so sending them back would either cost a lot or I would have to bug my friends to ship it back for me.

Yeah, that sounds like a pain! Hope the other ones work out.. They look nice!

The Equicomfort stuff is basically indestructible. I've had their field boots for going on 7 years (rode in them exclusively for the first 5) and they are still going strong. Clean up pretty ok, too.

I have Equigear chaps (also available at Heartland), and have been happy with those - also very very tough, and mine don't get much care (a baby wipe once every 2 months).

Awesome, thats great to hear! if they are that nice quality for that price I would totally get them if they fit me well!

So I went to Heartland and really liked the equicomfort chaps. I bought them, will see how they ride!