The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm a federal employee and I will be royally scr&*%d if we get sequestered. We have not had a cost of living adjustment in over two years but health insurance costs have skyrocketed, so essentially we have lost money each year for the last two year. Now maybe losing 20% more? At least there will still be something coming in but... So fingers crossed. But it is scary. And no unemployment benefits when you are just "furloughed".

My husband is a construction inspector, so for the last 24 years every year we have to worry about the economy and if he will have a job. Through it all though, we at least knew I would have an income. Not any more.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    I'm a federal employee and I will be royally scr&*%d if we get sequestered. We have not had a cost of living adjustment in over two years but health insurance costs have skyrocketed, so essentially we have lost money each year for the last two year. Now maybe losing 20% more? At least there will still be something coming in but... So fingers crossed. But it is scary. And no unemployment benefits when you are just "furloughed".

My husband is a construction inspector, so for the last 24 years every year we have to worry about the economy and if he will have a job. Through it all though, we at least knew I would have an income. Not any more.
    You might want to double check the unemployment thing. The last time there was a big to do I remember reading from our HR that we would be allowed to collect unemployment. I was in an area where I was essential so I was not subject to that, but I am fairly certain people could apply for unemployment. Now, if it is just the 20% pay cut, then no, they can't.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

What folks don't understand is that the cut comes halfway through the government fiscal year, so what looks like a small cut that could have been handled well if started at the beginning of the fiscal year, becomes a hard to handle problem because you have only 6 months to achieve the savings. It could also be more easily dealt with if they could prioritize as opposed to cuts in every account. the President could fix that quickly and would have support from Congress to do it, but refuses to. It's a political issue to him, not a substantive one, and he thinks it plays to his advantage.

I'm in a private industry supporting the DoD, and we will get furloughed right along with the government folks.

I had to laugh when i was listening to a govie complain the other day. Her companion said to her, "didn't you vote for Obama?" When she said yes, he said, "Well, you got what you voted for!"

8 members found this post helpful.

This is going to hit my area of Hampton Roads very very hard. Between the shipyards and numerous military bases, the regional economy is very dependent on people who work in these industries and many businesses who support them doing OK. As a small business owner, I'm pretty worried but it's so far out of my hands that there's hardly anything I can do but try not to overbuild inventory.

I have one trimming client who told me last appt that the furloughs would mean a drop of $1400 income a month for her family. Wow..that is a lot of money. It would be a real problem for me for sure. God knows my husband's job is a long way from secure so it might end up that way or worse.

My husband works for a gov't contract company supporting mainly the military forces. They are facing laying off over 100 people in his Yorktown office if they lose a contract that they had already hired on and won and were now actively engaged in. Apparently even contacts that are on going are being rebid in the middle of the year so after all the planning and commitments his company made to fill this contract they WON already, they are now faced with the gov't giving it to a competitor. I'm not sure how anyone can do business like that but it's going to make a mess.

Arabiansrock-there is a bill in the House to extend the pay freeze for 3 more years.

The problem with collecting unemployment is that we will be furloughed 16 hours per pay period, not 22 days in a row. So we don't qualify for unemployment. And it's for a total of up to 176 hours, to make up for people who work 9 or 10 hour day schedules.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

And remember we are ALL screwed, the money comes out of OUR pockets!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I had to laugh when i was listening to a govie complain the other day. Her companion said to her, "didn't you vote for Obama?" When she said yes, he said, "Well, you got what you voted for!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    This is going to hit my area of Hampton Roads very very hard. Between the shipyards and numerous military bases, the regional economy is very dependent on people who work in these industries and many businesses who support them doing OK. As a small business owner, I'm pretty worried but it's so far out of my hands that there's hardly anything I can do but try not to overbuild inventory.
    Hampton Roads (and NoVA which will also get hit hard with the sequster) went pretty hard for Obama in the election. I'm another contractor supporting DoD (Navy) It was pretty clear to me that this was coming in October. We were on a CR with no budget in sight and the sequester was coming. Contractors wanted to send out layoff notices, but were directed not to by the WH. I have a hard time having any sympathy or empathy for the residents down there. They voted for this; this is what they said they wanted. If they were too dumb or uniformed, too late now.

Well just remember a lot of people in this area did vote Red. We were simply outnumbered by the blues who where bussed to the polls in masse keeping the polls open late. VA Beach did go red but unfortunately, Newport News, Suffolk and Chesapeake went Blue. I remember being in shock when I saw the results as there was so much support for Romney here. I still don't know if I believe that election was won fairly.

3 members found this post helpful.

My region is another that will be hit hard by sequestration. The economy here is extremely dependant on Redstone Arsenal and the many associated contractors. NASA isn't expecting to have to furlough Marshall employees, but they're smaller group than the DoD.

I'm a DoD employee and I can handle the 20% cut, but no doubt there are many who cannot.

Dunno' who it was but a Republican was just on the news talking about postponing the Sequester again, so that they would be back in session and could haggle over it for 4 full weeks.
    Why aren't they working overtime like the rest of this country trying to make ends meet? Seriously, they think this is a good time for them to take a vaca and kick the can down the road again until they find the time to mull this over?
    The WH may not be perfect, but Congress has alot to answer for as well.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well just remember a lot of people in this area did vote Red. We were simply outnumbered by the blues who where bussed to the polls in masse keeping the polls open late. VA Beach did go red but unfortunately, Newport News, Suffolk and Chesapeake went Blue. I remember being in shock when I saw the results as there was so much support for Romney here. I still don't know if I believe that election was won fairly.
    You're in the minority you know, blaming Obama. The Republican's are going to take the fall for this one and rightly so. Think back to 2011 when the GOP House was going to let the country default. That's why we HAVE sequestration.

Here's Obama's plan (non-existent according to Republicans). http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ucketed_r8.pdf
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

They're not going to do it. It's just more "sound and fury, signifying nothing" except more partisan obstructionism. Remember the "fiscal cliff?" Oh yeah, last month's "news."

If they did this, it would cause unemployment to spike, major Wall Street panic, consumer confidence dip, etc.

The economic recovery is a fragile and precious thing. Even the bozos in Washington aren't going to dare to screw THAT up. Their own dividends are riding on it!

ALWAYS lift up the rock that says, "Who Profits?"

Here's Paul Ryan, on multiple occasions, praising the idea of a sequester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NYzjMs-6MAE
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You're in the minority you know, blaming Obama. The Republican's are going to take the fall for this one and rightly so. Think back to 2011 when the GOP House was going to let the country default. That's why we HAVE sequestration.

Here's Obama's plan (non-existent according to Republicans). http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...ucketed_r8.pdf
    Yup. But if the GOP doesn't agree with it it doesn't exist
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Really???? I blame Obama for a lot. He's in charge and he should rightfully take the blame for what has gone wrong since he's been president. If he can't work with Republicans (he makes no attempt to other than to blame them for everything), than it's HIS fault for not reaching out to them and trying to come to some sort of compromise. He has to do something other than stand there and run his yap, point his finger, and swing his golf clubs. It's his freaking job.

Sequestration was HIS idea to begin with and now he's blaming the Republicans YET AGAIN rather than taking responsibility for the mess. So freaking typical of him. I don't blame the Republicans for standing back and letting him sweat right now...I'd be doing the same...time to play chicken and quit caving in at the last minute and giving him what he wants. It's about time this useless excuse for a President has to do something other than do publicity campaigning and play golf and take some responsibility for his incompetence. Maybe he could finally do a budget and get the Dem. controlled senate to at least VOTE on one???? It's only overdue by several years.

I am also a federal employee...my husband is also. We will be taking a bit of a hit if we lose 20% for the remainder of the fiscal year. We will be fine, trimming some fat, but 20% for both incomes is big enough.

These bozos in Congress need to GET TO WORK on this. It blows my mind that they have exempted themselves from this, but yet those of us who NEED our paychecks week to week get to suffer for their inability to get anything accomplished. The fact that they took a week long (or longer?) break while this is thing is imminent I cannot even begin to comprehend.

Infuriating.

I am just so sick of people blaming President Obama for this. People, the facts speak for themselves, if you will just LOOK at them. The sequester was actually created by Congress, not the Presisdent.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Three things about the sequester.

When it was proposed by the Obama administration and accepted by the republicans it was supposed to be so horrific that no one would ever consider letting it happen. So the first thing we have learned from this is that what politicians consider horrific and what normal people consider horrific are two different things.

The second is that both side actually like chunks of the sequester happening because they cut sacred cows. The dems will let through in order to cut defense and the repubs will let it through in order to cut entitlement programs.

Third, the actual sequester doesn't matter to the politicians only how much blame can you assign to the other guy.

Both sides have ridiculous economic ideas. Despite what the WH claims, the economy sucks and is projected to suck for the next four years. Any kid in economics 101 will tell you that raising taxes (Obama idea) or cutting spending (republican idea) is a bad thing to do in a bad economy. Both will reduce job and GDP growth.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

2 members found this post helpful.

If he can't work with Republicans (he makes no attempt to other than to blame them for everything), than it's HIS fault for not reaching out to them and trying to come to some sort of compromise.
    Yes, indeed, because the Republicans have proven themselves soooooo receptive of any olive branch the president might extend:

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." --Mitch McConnell
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

He won by fraud and it's that simple. Our swing state was lost to us by fraud, too. The progressives don't care, though, and with the press belonging to Obama, there really isn't anything I know to do to stop the fraud - I've tried to address it for 30 years when my vote was first stolen.