The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resume & Job search help?

The company I have been working for has been purchased and is laying off the majority of it's employees. They did set us up with a career placement service, but it has been absolutely useless.

I have a "different" set of skills that isn't really financially quantifiable and the program is really designed for management positions and those who can quantify skills with financial and ROI marks for former positions.

My work is more creative (creating educational content, video production & edition, etc). I know in the past I've seen COTHer's volunteer to help out with resumes and general job search suggestions and assistance. If anyone would be willing to help me out and go over my resume and maybe discuss my situation, I would be forever in your debt! I'm poor, so I can't pay you (see: layoff), but I will send you delicious baked goods or some how make it up to you!!

Many thanks in advance!

You are more than welcome to PM me with it and I will give it a once over. I do want to recommend utilizing Linked In. Great way to network and a major site for recruiters. I would also recommend contacting outside recruiters to help you find another position. They will help bring opportunities to you and help with the legwork. They will help sell you and are free to you, they make money off of the companies.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

I'll do it in exchange for baked goods!
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Where are you located? Willing to relocate? Maybe somebody here can send you in the right direction.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I second LinkedIn. If you don't have a profile, start building one.

I'm working on my Linked In right now. How much information do I put in the summary? Do I make it more personal or more professional?

I'm currently in the Silicon Valley area, prefer not to relocate but willing to for the right position. Will start sending PMs. Thanks!
    Last edited by hAlterHorse; Feb. 21, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post
    I'm working on my Linked In right now. How much information do I put in the summary? Do I make it more personal or more professional?
    Mine is professional, but in a more narrative/informal format than my resume. I'll PM you.

So LinkedIn really helps? I've been skeptical because I really doubt employers are searching there for people with general qualifications. As in, I can do almost any kind of office work but I don't have any super specific skills, so I didn't really think that site would help me much.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

One of our primary recruiting tools is Linked In. A professional setting on it can only be helpful. For office positions we may use outside recruiters to do temp to perm and try someone out.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Talk to me of recruiters/head hunters. How do I find a good one? Do they work with people in the more creative fields? Are they helpful? TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by hAlterHorse View Post

My work is more creative (creating educational content, video production & edition, etc). !
    hum, you maybe your own answer; most all of the resumes we review appear to be fiction...

hAlter - If you want to, send me your resume. I know a lot of people in that area who may be looking. I can pass it along if you'd like.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm good at resume writing and editing them. I've written successful skills based and chronological resumes for others here and there and they've always gotten excellent reviews by interviewers. I'd be glad to help, but I may not know a lot about your industry.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    hum, you maybe your own answer; most all of the resumes we review appear to be fiction...
    Not sure what you mean by this... if this is a dig at me, my resume is completely accurate and verifiable, and my work is published under my name in places where it's accessible to the general public.

To those that have offered and provided assistance, many thanks!

hAlterHorse, I'm happy to lend another set of eyes to your resume and cover letter. (I was an English major in college, and have since been working as an editor and freelance writer.)

Having just gotten a new job after months of searching (the result of an unexpected layoff), I know your pain. Wishing you the best of luck with your job search.

Default Linked In

I do not know about recruiting, but Linked In is how I found my long lost (since 1964) second cousin- in England.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    So LinkedIn really helps? I've been skeptical because I really doubt employers are searching there for people with general qualifications. As in, I can do almost any kind of office work but I don't have any super specific skills, so I didn't really think that site would help me much.
    LinkedIn can help, but as you suspect, not necessarily "for people with general qualifications." Like PiedPiper mentioned, employers are more likely to use temp agencies to find general office help than to search LinkedIn.

I'm sure certain industries/occupations use LinkedIn more than others (i.e. manual labor) too. I'm not looking to change jobs, but I've had recruiters solicit me through LinkedIn for lateral (non entry-level) lawyer openings.