The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone feed Triple Crown Complete/Gelding prone to ulcers

Has anyone had any luck with TC Complete for a horse with ulcers? It's advertised as being good for horses with ulcers, but well, that's advertising.

I used to feed Triple Crown Complete, but was told their Senior formula is even better for ulcer-prone horses/ponies. I now feed the pony Senior formula and alfalfa hay. It has kept her gut normal and healthy thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by LEL View Post
    I used to feed Triple Crown Complete, but was told their Senior formula is even better for ulcer-prone horses/ponies. I now feed the pony Senior formula and alfalfa hay. It has kept her gut normal and healthy thus far.

How old is your pony? My guy is only 6, and I've wondered if feeding a young horse senior feed would maybe not be so good for any reason? There's a lot I'm still learning about horse keeping.....

I'd imagine both the Senior and Complete formula would be good for ulcer prone horses. I know Senior is bp based, which IMO is great because being ulcer prone, it is ideal to feed as much "forage" as possible, and technically bp would be considered a "forage" even though it is not long stem fiber.

Personally however, I would start with a base of alfalfa pellets and bp shreds, adding a concentrate or oil (with a multi-vite) depending on if your horse is a hard keeper.

I know a lot of people like to feed TC senior to ulcer horses...low sugar/starch is beneficial for ulcer prone horses.

I fed it many years ago to two ulcer at-risk types and loved it. Ended up having to switch to Triple Crown Senior because of availability (was at a boarding barn and my two were the only ones on Complete) and was always happy with that as well, but I love TC Complete, I think it's a terrific basic feed for a lot of horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington410 View Post
    How old is your pony? My guy is only 6, and I've wondered if feeding a young horse senior feed would maybe not be so good for any reason? There's a lot I'm still learning about horse keeping.....
    Senior feeds tend to have a higher crude protein and fat content, and are often more palatable for the old fogies who can't chew as well. "Senior" is a relative term, and completely depends on the horse. My grandfather's old campaigner hunted first flight into his early 30s, and was frequently mistaken for a dashing young prospect by visiting hunts. We've had other horses that are creaky old gents by 12. As long as the nutrition is right for your horse, I wouldn't worry much about the "Senior" label.

Both the Senior and the Complete are good for ulcers. My 14 y.o. gelding is currently on TC Senior. Interesting note: the TC Senior is actually lower in starch than their Low Starch blend.

Best thing for ulcers is as much turnout and hay, hay, hay, hay, hay as possible.

From the research I did it seems that the Complete and the Senior are both good for colicky horses. I feed my 14 year old and my 4 year old the TC Senior- great digestibility, protein, and fat. The Senior is very close to their Growth formula, and the label of "senior" is more marketing than anything else- in both horse feeds and pet food. There is no standard for what constitutes senior, so the label can be put on for good reason (easier to digest, different fat content, etc.), or for no reason other than to sell it. Many people feed young horses the Senior.

I used to feed them the Complete, which was great, but the Senior is easier for my old man to chew and swallow- he has had at least one throat surgery and has scarring in his throat. My baby has a history of colic, although he is not colicky (it seems to have been a circumstantial issue), and I love the beet pulp base of the TC feeds for him, just to be safe.

Oh, and yes- hay is most important. My boys get two hay nets stuffed with it every night and have a round bale in the field. I am going to be putting a flake of alfalfa in the nets, too, as soon as I source some good bales- that can be very good for sensitive digestive systems or horses who need a bit more weight.
    Last edited by foursocks; Feb. 19, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

You can feed the Senior to any age horse. I use it for my older mare, and she has done fabulously on it.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Thanks for all the helpful replies! We're moving him to 24/7 turnout, which should help and he's got free choice hay all day. With everything I've read so far, I figured I needed to get him on a better feed, too.

If he doesn't need the calories from grain, then no grain is even better! TC 30% is a great ration balancer from Triple Crown that will provide him with the minerals and vitamins that he needs without additional calories (or starch, which is something that can exacerbate ulcer issues)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    If he doesn't need the calories from grain, then no grain is even better! TC 30% is a great ration balancer from Triple Crown that will provide him with the minerals and vitamins that he needs without additional calories (or starch, which is something that can exacerbate ulcer issues)
    I think he's going to have to have the grain, unfortunately. He stayed on the skinny side even prior to the ulcer issue.

I had trouble getting an old boarder who had all the typical symptoms of ulcers to eat regularly, so we kept trying new things per vet's orders. He has been eating the TC complete for over a year without missing a meal which his owner said is very unusual for him, and he's gained about 100lbs. He hasn't looked this good in many many years. I would feel safe giving it a try, he is picky and seemed to like it better than the senior but either are a good choice IMO.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    I had trouble getting an old boarder who had all the typical symptoms of ulcers to eat regularly, so we kept trying new things per vet's orders. He has been eating the TC complete for over a year without missing a meal which his owner said is very unusual for him, and he's gained about 100lbs. He hasn't looked this good in many many years. I would feel safe giving it a try, he is picky and seemed to like it better than the senior but either are a good choice IMO.
    I really appreciate that input. Mine doesn't always finish his meals, and I'm pretty stressed over it at the moment.

I feed the Complete to my mare who is ulcer prone and she has done very well on it. I love that it is beet pulp based and that they have a guaranteed analysis so you know exactly what you are getting in every bag.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington410 View Post
    I think he's going to have to have the grain, unfortunately. He stayed on the skinny side even prior to the ulcer issue.
    Then I highly recommend the TC Senior. When my mare had ulcers, and lost a TON of weight because of them (meanwhile, my vet was diagnosing everything under the sun except ulcers...) I put her on TC Senior following her confirmed diagnosis of ulcers (along with the omeprazole treatment). She put weight back on beautifully on it. Other than their ration balancer, its my go-to when they need a full grain meal.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

FWIW, my mare is a 3 year old Quarter pony. Senior is just easily digestible, regardless of age.

Another reason I'd look at the Senior for ulcers vs. the Complete is that the Senior's first ingredient is alfalfa, which has been proven to help prevent ulcers. The Complete contains alfalfa, but it's further down on the ingredient list.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My horse is ulcer prone and has been on both TC Complete and TC Senior, and I prefer TC Senior. I switched because the Senior has a lower NSC ("sugar") content and the lower the better. He actually kept his weight better on the Senior too I think. He's 8 - no problem feeding Senior grain to younger horses.

Also re ingredients list... I believe animal food labels do not have to list ingredients in the order of highest amount to lowest like people human labels, I could be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere on COTH I think.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I actually ended up getting TC Complete b/c I couldn't find any senior. Actually, the feed store only had one bag of complete so I was lucky to find anything. I have a feeling we'll eventually end up on the senior, but I'm afraid of jerking his tummy around with too many changes. We've started with one cup of the complete added to his regular just yesterday. I'm guessing it will take a month at least to get him switched.