The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Ufff not fun.

I can tell you our area was hit with EHV-1 a few years back. Affected barns (not jammed packed like Ocala!) were put on serious lock down. Full quarantine with foot bathes for all visitors (which were strictly limited), disinfecting routines. NO horse movement under any circumstances.

This is a serious disease – and should be taken seriously.

The press releases sound like “lets go on with the show! (and collecting the FEES!)”
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 22, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Because it might affect revenue. Show is still going on. If the horses were their first concern a press release would have been made by HITS on their pages FIRST. Not people shipping in to be greeted by a State vet at the gates informing them that they may show at their own risk.
    You are absolutely correct...it's all about that *cha*ching. Sadness...

4 members found this post helpful.

I have heard Wellington has shut down period with horses coming in from ocala and neighboring areas. I also believe Florida has shut down movement of horses in or out!!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    This is pissing me off. I personally can tell you all that we were just told that the vet would not give my horse a health certificate to leave the state of FL. We had a trip planned to go down and get her and we were leaving today.
    Like I said before, my mare isn't even stabled on the show grounds so if only 1 tent is under quarantine then why is it that my horse is not free to come and go??? It's not just my horse but her trainers whole line of horses. No one is leaving....but why can't they just say that???
    jse - just want to make sure i understand. So, HITS Ocala is allowing horses to come and go, but the State of Florida will not let your horse out...is that right?

2 members found this post helpful.

Can anyone confirm that horses are not being allowed out of the state - would there be press release or government statement? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    jse - just want to make sure i understand. So, HITS Ocala is allowing horses to come and go, but the State of Florida will not let your horse out...is that right?
    Yes, you understand correctly. Horse show is still going on is the last word I've heard.

Technopony - I can personally tell you that my horse is stuck in Ocala. They will not issue a health cert. That is confirmation for ya!
    I am shocked at the lack of official press release on this issue.

6 members found this post helpful.

Thanks jse - the horses I'm concerned about are not and never were at HITS (driving horses), just shipped down for one competition. I read what your vet said, just would be nice to have something official from the state of Florida.

3 members found this post helpful.

Are horses that were in florida but shipped out of state to show for the weekend allowed back in? I'm just asking because a lot of event horses are in GA for the weekend competing.

ESP and their partners seem to be Johnny on the spot with getting ther press releases out and restrictions in place.
    http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...ref_map=%5B%5D

Again why hasn't HITS the source of the sick horse managed this ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

They have barricades around the quarantine barn and are not letting horses in that barn past the barricades.

Also have confirmation that vets will not issue health certs for any horses that have been on the grounds to leave FL. Our barn has been shipping in from a barn about 15 miles off the grounds and were scheduled to leave this weekend to come back north. Now they are stuck there for an indeterminate time.

FWIW, trainer had no idea there was anything going on until they arrived this morning for the day with a couple of horses to show and were told about the issue. Shame on HITS for not getting a handle on this days ago, as soon as they had an inkling there was an issue.
    Last edited by wanderlust; Feb. 22, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

9 members found this post helpful.

Probably not a bad time to review the facts on EHV1.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/273...u-need-to-know

Everyone wants accurate information whenever an outbreak occurs. It will be forthcoming from the vets involved, via official channels--rumors are not helpful, so unless news is heard from a firsthand source, please don't spread it without official confirmation.

In the meantime, monitoring temperatures and taking sensible bio-security measures will help minimize the risks and hopefully allow for quick identification and isolation of any new cases.

5 members found this post helpful.

biosecurity-lock-down-for-2013-WEF circuit due to EHV-1 concerns

Wellington is requiring 48 hour health certificates.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 22, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    They have barricades around the quarantine barn and are not letting horses in that barn past the barricades.

Also have confirmation that vets will not issue health certs for any horses that have been on the grounds to leave FL. Our barn has been shipping in from a barn about 15 miles off the grounds and were scheduled to leave this weekend to come back north. Now they are stuck there for an indeterminate time.

FWIW, they had no idea there was anything going on until they arrived this morning for the day with a couple of horses to show and were told about the issue. Shame on HITS for not getting a handle on this days ago, as soon as they had an inkling there was an issue.
    They have been monitoring horses and quarantined one barn days ago for spiking fevers that barns quarantine was lifted . They were WELL aware of what has been transpiring and have simply chosen not to be forth coming about it.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

4 members found this post helpful.

They have been monitoring horses and quarantined one barn days ago for spiking fevers that barns quarantine was lifted . They were WELL aware of what has been transpiring and have simply chosen not to be forth coming about it.
    Agreed, badly handled.

Just to be clear, barn 7 IS and remains under quarantine, everyone else can come and go around and to/from the grounds as they please at this point.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think she meant her barn had no idea what was going on, not show officials.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

On the State of Florida Division of Animal Industry website:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/

EHV-1 Outbreak Information February 22, 2013

A horse participating in the Horse Shows in the Sun (HITS), horse show in Ocala was referred to the University of Florida, College of Veterinary Medicine after showing clinical neurological signs on February 20th. The horse subsequently tested positive for the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1). There are no additional confirmed cases at this time. The Division of Animal Industry has begun a disease investigation, which includes the HITS show grounds in Ocala and the local index farm. Currently, both the index farm and Tent 7 at HITS are under state quarantine. HITS management, trainers and veterinarians are cooperating fully to ensure proper safeguards are taken to prevent further spread of the disease. We are asking all those in the equine community to practice prudent bio-security on their farm and to report any suspected cases of EHV-1. For reporting, you may call 850-410-0900 Monday through Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and 1-800-342-5869 after hours and weekends. Frequent informational updates will be provided, so please continue to visit this Website regularly (http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/). Additional Resources: More information on the Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) can be found at the following Websites, American Association of Equine Practitioners, http://www.aaep.org/health_articles....+Herpesvirus+%
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I think she meant her barn had no idea what was going on, not show officials.
    Thank you- edited for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Agreed, badly handled.

Just to be clear, barn 7 IS and remains under quarantine, everyone else can come and go around and to/from the grounds as they please at this point.
    Yes, but it sounds like you should not take a horse onto the grounds, unless you are prepared to stay in FL until this all settles.

5 members found this post helpful.

After reading through all this, and all the links I'm still confused. Can anyone clarify?

If you are in or around Ocala but have not had your horse on the HITS show grounds, can you leave the state to go home? ie. race horses, hunt horses.......